home
in

credit card payment 4 days late - how does this affect mortgage application?

Last post Mon, Apr 16 2012, 6:53 AM by BigMatt. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Mon, Apr 16 2012, 6:53 AM

Re: credit card payment 4 days late - how does this affect mortgage application?

It may be advisable to obtain your credit report from Experian or Equifax - not wanting to be the bearer of bad news but one payment late can affect a decision in principle - especially if it is a recent missed payment. Your report will show if Lloyds have recorded this as a late payment and if they have you can then put this on a the mortgage application as the lender will be more favourable with an upfront application or at least an independent adviser can check with a proposed lender first. If you apply for the mortgage through Lloyds they may be willing to ignore the late payment, but they cannot state what the policy of other lenders is. I deal with lots of IFA's and the stories I hear of people being turned down for a mortgage due to one payment late is more than I would like to hear, so please speak to an independent advisor first and let them guide you.
    • Post Points: 5
  •  Sun, Apr 15 2012, 10:51 AM

Re: credit card payment 4 days late - how does this affect mortgage application?

Thanks for your reply. I called them up this morning (Lloyds TSB). Payment has gone though now and they said that one late payment wont affect my credit file so hopefully thats the end of it.

Payment was due on April 12th and my next statement isnt due to the 18th so heres hoping I've gotten away with it.

Lesson learnt though for sure!!!

• Post Points: 20
  •  Sun, Apr 15 2012, 9:44 AM

Phone the credit card company and ask whether they have reported a late payment.

You may be panicking over nothing.

If they have recorded a late payment, I doubt that one explainable late payment will make any difference,if your previous record was good/excellent. But of course this will depend on any credit scoring by mortgage lenders you approach.

•  Sun, Apr 15 2012, 12:10 AM

credit card payment 4 days late - how does this affect mortgage application?

I'm currently in the process of applying for my first mortgage. I took out a new credit card recently and have just noticed that I neglected to set up a direct debit (I've done so now!) which means I'm going to be about 4 days late on my credit card payment.

My credit card up until now has been very good - so my question is, wil lbeing 4 days late on a credit card affect my score at all? I'm getting conflicting advice - some sources say late payments dont get reported to the credit agencies until they are 30 days late, others say they blight your record straight away. The thought of being turned down for a mortgage on the strength of being 4 days late on paying a bill is pretty upsetting so all thoughts much appreciated!!

Thanks a lot :)