home
in

Consumer Credit Directive! Help PLEASE

Last post Fri, Apr 13 2012, 7:42 PM by maxsteam. 7 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Fri, Apr 13 2012, 7:42 PM

Re: Consumer Credit Directive! Help PLEASE

Remember to write to the finance company though to cancel the agreement within the 14 days. Keep a copy and obtain a "proof of posting" from the post office.
    • Post Points: 5
  •  Fri, Apr 13 2012, 1:29 PM

I spoke to trading standards this morning. They say I'm stuck with the car unless the dealer will refund the money to the finance company. I spoke to the managing director of the dealership and she was very understanding. She mentioned they may be charged an admin fee from the finance company for returning the payment. I said if thats the case I will pay the admin fee so they don't lose out on any money! She seemed happy enough at that and said she will get back to me once they speak to the finance company. I will keep you posted with any progress etc. Thanks again
    • Post Points: 20
  •  Fri, Apr 13 2012, 2:13 AM

Please phone them in the morning and TELL them what happens. Yes, they have rights but you have rights too.
  •  Thu, Apr 12 2012, 11:04 PM

Thanks, I will phone them in the morning and see what happens. If I have no luck, I've been advised to check my rights with trading standards aswell. Thanks alot for your time :o)

•  Thu, Apr 12 2012, 9:19 PM

Mark1979:

theres nothing they can do because the dealer has already been paid......is this true?

No. The link I gave was a government website so you can rely on what it says. The reason it says you should put your wish to cancel in writing is because it's very common for incorrect things to be said in telephone conversations and, unless you recorded the call, it would be hard to prove that you've been misled. It would be worth phoning up the finance company again and politely stating that you will not be proceeding as the vehicle is not yet ready for collection and you will be cancelling the agreement in writing within the 14 day cooling off period. Don't let them fob you off.

•  Thu, Apr 12 2012, 8:31 PM

Hi, thank you for your reply. No I have not paid a deposit as I was using my exsisting car for a deposit.

He keeps changing the day I can collect the car. 1st it was today, then saturday, now it possibly tuesday!

I spoke to the finance company on the phone and they said theres nothing they can do because the dealer has already been paid......is this true?

Thank you :o)

•  Thu, Apr 12 2012, 8:26 PM

Have you paid a deposit?

Is the car ready for collection tomorrow?

Ideally, if the car is ready for collection, you should pick it up and, hopefully, everyone will be happy.

However, you can withdraw from the finance agreement for any reason within 14 days of signing the agreement. You should do this in writing to the finance company.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentcitizensandrights/Consumerrights/Personalfinance-yourconsumerrights/DG_195392

If you've not paid a deposit and if the dealer has broken promises relating to the purchase, you can state that you no longer wish to proceed. If you've paid a deposit, it's likely to be difficult to recover it.

•  Thu, Apr 12 2012, 8:10 PM

Consumer Credit Directive! Help PLEASE

Hi, Yesterday I signed a credit agreement for a used car I wanted to purchase. The company I'm buying the car from have been messing about with when I can collect the car. So today I tried to cancel the agreement. I was told I can cancel it under the Consumer Credit Directive because I have not taken delivery of the car. When I said this to the dealer he wasnt very happy and stated I was not entitled to cancel because I have already signed the credit agreement and he has already been paid from the finance company. Does anyone know if he is right or I was given the correct information about my right to cancel, due to not having taken delivery? Thanks alot