home
in

Claiming benefits after inheritance

Last post Tue, Apr 17 2012, 6:29 PM by april1967. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Tue, Apr 17 2012, 6:29 PM

Re: Claiming benefits after inheritance

Try looking at turn2us.co.uk - it has a benefit entitlement calculator and you may be entitled to housing benefit or council tax benefit. Also make sure that HMRC have accurate income figures for the last financial year and a projected figure for this coming year, as this may increase your tax credit entitlements (or reduce them, depending on whether the figures they are using are too high or too low).
    • Post Points: 5
  •  Sun, Feb 05 2012, 1:46 PM

Re: Claiming benefits after inheritance

Suggest that you book to see someone at your nearest Citizens Advice as soon as possible.

http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/

They may be able to help you with the Department of Work and Pensions re benefits and your local council re any benefits they can provide.

• Post Points: 20
  •  Sun, Feb 05 2012, 12:59 PM

Claiming benefits after inheritance

my dad had a work life insurance policy. it was paid to my mam, my brother and me. Dad found out he had terminal stomach cancer and died within 3 months. My brother and me knew nothing of this policy. All we knew was dad wanted everything to go to mam so she could pay the mortgage. So both myself and brother repaid the £39,000 immediately to our mam to enable her mortgage to be reduced. Unfortunately after loosing my dad I was unable to cope with my finance job and resigned due to depression, coincidently my childrens father stopped paying maintenace! I have never claimed benefits but now need to. I am £250pm short for bills and am living on £25 per week per person for food and essentials. The council told me "I made myself poor" and should sue my mam and they said I am entitled to nothing and cannot apply for help for 8 years!! Have you got any advice for me??
    • Post Points: 20