home
in

child benefit changes

Last post Wed, Jan 23 2013, 11:41 PM by Andygodadvice. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Wed, Jan 23 2013, 11:41 PM

Re: child benefit changes

Hi,

Thank you for replying to my response,you do wonder how many people actually read these !

I did say HOPEFULLY -there are bound to be teething troubles,as i believe we both agree the existing system is disjointed.

Best Regards

Andy Goodadvice.

P.S I missed out the other "O" in my name when i registered and it does not let you amend it !!

• Post Points: 5
  •  Wed, Jan 23 2013, 12:34 PM

I quite agree Andy - joined up government would be more effective and satisfying, and probably cheaper. However, I am not yet convinced that Universal credit will be the panacea that is claimed for it.
    • Post Points: 20
  •  Tue, Jan 22 2013, 11:14 PM

The way benefits and taxes are calculated,have come under serious criticism lately, not undeservedly so.

We seem to have a "cliff edge" system i.e. if you earn under a certain threshold you pay x tax on everything above your personal allowance,if above you pay y on the same entire amount!!!

I think the child benefit along with other entitlements does need tweaking , i understand in the case of a couple it is still being paid regardless of total income -then the higher earner pays a progressive tax on earnings as a means adjustment.

At present we seem to have totally seperate departments dealing with Tax,National Insurance and benefits and it often feels to me as though "never the twain shall meet!!"

Hopefully the universal credit system will simplify things-but why not send your views to your local MP,so he/she can look into this,as i think your question is a good one.

You may initially receive a standardised answer but any MP worth their salt, in my experience could bring your suggestion up up next time benefits are on the agenda.

Yours Sincerely

Andy Goodadvice

•  Mon, Jan 14 2013, 4:19 PM

child benefit changes

What a crazy and complicated way of limiting entitlement to child benefit that the government has thought up.

Why not just add the benefit to income and then tax it; for a couple it could be split 50% and then the taxation would be fair and progressive? The poor would receive all of it, the moderately well off would lose a little and the really wealthy could lose nearly half.

While we are on this subject, why not tax all cash benefits in the same way? My Winter fuel allowance would be taxed at 20%, which I would accept willingly. The DWP & HMRC cope with including the national pension in one's (potentially) taxable income, so I feel sure they could manage this one.