home
in

changing the disabled class back to normal for road tax purposes ?

Last post Sat, Oct 04 2008, 2:02 AM by jadaclub. 6 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Sat, Oct 04 2008, 2:02 AM

Re: changing the disabled class back to normal for road tax purposes ?

THX VERY MUCH I GET IT ALL NOW

SO I TAKE ALL DOCS TO DVLA OFFICE AND CHANGE EVREYTHING AROUND THEN SELL OR IF I SELL FIRST I WILL HAVE TO CHANGE THE CLASS AND HAND IT THE LOG-BOOK AND THE NEW OWNER WILL HAVE TO BUY HIS OWN ROAD TAX UNLESS HE PAYS ME AND I DO IT.

MANY THX MATE CHEERS FOR THE HELP

• Post Points: 5
  •  Sat, Oct 04 2008, 1:45 AM

if i do the changes myself i will have to buy a road tax immidietly when i do the change

is that correct ?

Yes, unless he pays you for the new tax disc. ?

It has to be changed over when it's changes hands or before, otherwise the only other way would be to declare the car off the road (SORN)

• Post Points: 20
  •  Sat, Oct 04 2008, 1:38 AM

Thx mate understood ,the easiest way is to sell the car as it is and tell the new owner to get a new road tax immidietly and then i send the disabled one back .

if i do the changes myself i will have to buy a road tax immidietly when i do the change

is taht correct ?

•  Sat, Oct 04 2008, 1:12 AM

What you need to do is to tax it at your local DVLA office, not the post office. Fill in the V5 notifying change of keeper and taxation class to PLG and give them that at the same time you're taxing the car. Tell them what you're doing, i.e changing from disabled to PLG and taxing it. They'll do the lot at once in the right order.

You can do it yourself as above, but then you would have to pay for a new private tax disc as the disabled one will be sent back because the car no longer qualifies for exemption.

Or you can let the new owner complete the changes, he will have to do this immediately instead of letting it expire.. or he could be prosecuted, as he will not be entitled to the exemption, the new owner will have to pay for the new private disc if they complete the changes. !

•  Sat, Oct 04 2008, 12:55 AM

hi mate thx for that info !

What i need to know is how do i change the class from disabled back to private ?

do i have to do it before i sell it or will the new buyer have to do it when he comes around taxing the car as i dont want the new guy to have much hassle , will i be able to do i before i sell it ?

will i have to surrender the road tax as soon as i change the tax class back to private or will i only have to send thre road tax back only when i sell it ?

many thx

your help is appriciated

many thx

•  Fri, Oct 03 2008, 9:05 PM

Private to disabled.

Change of tax class

If you’re changing the tax class from private to disabled, provided you have the whole Registration Certificate, you can tax at a Post Office® branch.

If you only have the New Keeper Supplement and for other tax class changes eg from disabled to private, you’ll need to tax at your nearest DVLA local office. Write the new tax class in section seven of your Registration Certificate. If using a New Keeper Supplement, you’ll also need to fill in a V62 ‘Application for a Vehicle Registration Certificate (V5C)’.

...................................... .................................................

Disabled to private.

For other tax class changes eg from disabled to private, you’ll need to tax at your nearest DVLA local office. Write the new tax class in section seven of your Registration Certificate.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/HowToTaxYour

Vehicle/DG_4022121

•  Fri, Oct 03 2008, 7:46 PM

changing the disabled class back to normal for road tax purposes ?

Hi please somebody help me as this is the first time for me,I bought a car in july for my mums use who is disabled and when the road tax came for renewal i was advised on this site to just take the log-book with the exemption certificate to the post office and i can change the class there and then.I did that and have my road tax however the car is too small for me and i have put it in the autotrader for sale, MY QUESTION IS HOW DO I CHANGE THE CLASS ON THE LOG-BOOK FROM DISABLED BACK TO NORMAL AGAIN, WILL I NEED TO TAKE THE LOG BOOK TO THE DVLA LOCAL OFFICE OR WHAT, ALSO WHEN I SELL MY CAR WHAT DO I DO WITH A ROAD TAX DO I HAVE TO SEND IT BACK SO THE NEW OWNER CAN GET HIS OWN OR WHAT ?

WHEN I BUY MY NEW CAR DO I HAVE TO DO THE SAME ABOUT CHANGING THE CLASS AGAIN .

SAME PROCESS AS BEFORE ?

PLEASE HELP THX IN ADVANCE .