car insurance while living abroad

Last post Mon, Nov 30 2009, 9:12 PM by maxsteam. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Mon, Nov 30 2009, 9:12 PM

    Re: car insurance while living abroad

    The six month limit that I mentioned is imposed by most EU governments by the relevant customs authorities. I'm sure that somewhere there is a page similar to the one linked below detailing temporary import into Belgium.


    Yes, some insurers offer "unlimited" cover, others six months and so on, but you need a UK address and, just because you are insured, doesn't make you legal. I've known people have their cars confiscated because they stayed in one place beyond the 6 month limit. You are less likely to be caught out on this if you are moving around but if you are working and someone at work doesn't like you then you don't know who they might speak to...

    • Post Points: 5
  •  Mon, Nov 30 2009, 8:14 PM

    Re: car insurance while living abroad

    If you're over fifty years young and UK resident, Saga offer unlimited european cover on campervans.


    • Post Points: 20
  •  Mon, Nov 30 2009, 7:48 PM

    Re: car insurance while living abroad


    This can be a problem area. I think most will only cover up to 3 months.

    There is a company called hertsinsurance.com that provide a walkabout type Insurance policy for those that require longer period of cover while abroad.

    The following is from the DVLA site.

    <h3>Taking your vehicle abroad for less than 12 months (temporary export)</h3>

    If a UK registered vehicle is taken abroad temporarily, it remains subject to UK law. This means that you as the keeper, must by law make sure that the vehicle stays taxed while it&rsquo;s overseas. Providing the vehicle has a current MOT certificate and insurance, you&rsquo;ll be able to tax the vehicle.

    If you don&rsquo;t tax the vehicle and it&rsquo;s brought back to the UK untaxed, the vehicle will need to be transported and not driven upon entry back to the UK and SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification) should be declared straight away.

    You can tax or SORN online or by telephone, but please note that SORN can&rsquo;t be made while the vehicle is abroad.

    If you don&rsquo;t have a registration certificate and you are taking the vehicle out the country on a temporary basis you can get a replacement from DVLA by phoning or applying by post.

    Hope this helps.


    • Post Points: 5
  •  Mon, Nov 30 2009, 7:37 PM

    Re: car insurance while living abroad

    You just need a UK address where you can pick up your insurance documents and other mail, then you can take the vehicle to Belgium for up to 6 months each year with valid road tax, insurance and MOT. For more than 6 months, to stay legal, you need to reregister with Belgium plates or take the vehicle home. With Belgian registration plates and a Belgian address, you could insure locally.
    • Post Points: 5
  •  Mon, Nov 30 2009, 7:20 PM

    car insurance while living abroad

    My Insurer (Safeguard) tells me that they cannot insure my campervan for use abroad because I am living in Belgium for a few months. Although the policy includes unlimited cover for Europe, this is apparently only for holidays and I am currently working in Brussels. Do other insurers have a more flexible policy ? Safeguard tell me that the vehicle must be registered in Belgium - new numberplate etc but this seems rather drastic. And what is the position regarding road tax - I presume I need to keep the vehicle taxed with DVLA while abroad, especially as I plan to bring it back to the UK next summer. I hope there are solutions to be found as I can't be the first to make a move abroad !

    • Post Points: 50