home
in

Car insurance only for a 3 month period - is this possible?

Last post Sun, Apr 13 2008, 11:05 AM by forumfan. 7 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Sun, Apr 13 2008, 11:05 AM

Re: Car insurance only for a 3 month period - is this possible?

Try the AA. They do short term insurance.
    • Post Points: 5
  •  Sat, Apr 12 2008, 5:16 PM

Some insurance companies will continue your cover once your policy runs out, without you having to take out a full years insurance. Explain your situation and they might help..and it will probably be a lot cheaper than using another company.

•  Sat, Apr 12 2008, 5:02 PM

I've just done a quote with the tempcover.com site and it came in at £130 odd for 28 days!

I did a little searching and found ecarinsurance.co.uk and their quote was £60 a month, and could keep on rolling as many months as you need.

Hope that helps someone else

• Post Points: 20
  •  Fri, Nov 02 2007, 2:41 PM

It is not a good idea to start a 12 month policy then cancel after 3 months. There will be a penalty charge for cancelling so you will probably have to pay something like half a year's premium for quarter of a year's policy. Paying in installments wont change this but it will just make it easier to dodge paying. When comparing quotes, you should look either for a company willing to issue a cover note for just 3 months or for a company that wont penalise you excessively if you cancel the policy after 3 months.

Remember that if you are overseas for more than 2 years, it will be difficult (without a lot of shopping around) to continue with your previous no claims bonus. When I went abroad for just over 2 years, I let my old policy continue for the full 12 months (with no car and no me in the UK). The policy was worthless for anything other than letting me come back to the UK within 2 years of it ending and claiming some no claims bonus.

•  Fri, Nov 02 2007, 1:58 PM

they wont register a default in all cases if tell them the policy is getting cancelled the outstanding balance just stays on their on system,if the amount is lets say over £100 they may well chase it but no-one chases you for less than that unless the company in question likes losing money....its down to you but sometimes temp cover works out dearer than doing it the way i mentioned earlier.

•  Fri, Nov 02 2007, 1:50 PM

Hi --- You could try these for temporary cover, it would mean that you do not leave the Country owing money to your present insurer or them registering a default against you.

http://tempcover.com/default.aspx?src=google

•  Fri, Nov 02 2007, 12:48 PM

you could just renew on monthly dd and cancel ddm when you tell them you wanna cancel,there might still be an outstanding balance but that not gonna affect you if you are moving out of the country,it would only stop you getting cover with them again.

•  Fri, Nov 02 2007, 12:31 PM

Car insurance only for a 3 month period - is this possible?

Hi, Actually my car insurance will expiry in 20 days. As we're moving out of the UK in the next couple of month, I don't want to renew it for an other year (have to pay then cancellation fees). Is there an Car Insurer who offer a limited period cover?

Many thanks in advance for any feedback.
    • Post Points: 50