home
in

Car Insurance for 17 year old learner driver. Any suggestions? Prices are crazy

Last post Thu, Jun 28 2007, 12:01 AM by backfoot. 10 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Thu, Jun 28 2007, 12:01 AM

Re: Car Insurance for 17 year old learner driver. Any suggestions? Prices are crazy

ryvbk,

You may have a point. It would help to expand on the circumstances though as the original poster would benefit from knowing why.

• Post Points: 5
  •  Wed, Jun 27 2007, 11:22 PM

Re: Car Insurance for 17 year old learner driver. Any suggestions? Prices are crazy

As long as you realise that when your son crashes the car you won't get a bean from the insurance company for the vehicle.
    • Post Points: 20
  •  Wed, Jun 27 2007, 12:50 AM

Fiamold:Good to hear you managed to get it down to a reasonable level.  Lets just hope he doesnt prang it though, as it could cause a big hole in his pocket money.

I'm pretty sure that's what Dad's are for though <whistles>

•  Tue, Jun 26 2007, 1:23 PM

Good to hear you managed to get it down to a reasonable level.  Lets just hope he doesnt prang it though, as it could cause a big hole in his pocket money.
  •  Tue, Jun 26 2007, 11:21 AM

You're welcome Kevin.  Well done - just goes to prove these forums work.  I'm quite new to this one but have picked up some amazing tips already and made a few friends along the way.  It becomes quite addictive!

Another piece of advice - once your daughter is driving - keep her away from wedding dress shops (start saving now)!!!  LOL

Regards

Indispensable

•  Tue, Jun 26 2007, 11:19 AM

Well Guys, with your help and advice and reading other threads on the same subject of young drivers we have just signed up with Norwich Union direct covering my wife and I fully comprehensive with a £300 excess and any other driver with the policy holders permission.  This includes our 17 year old son who will be covered 3rd party (in fact anyone under 25 is covered 3rd party.  The price ............ not £6700 or even £1648   ready for this £470.00 yes that is FOUR HUNDRED AND SEVENTY POUNDS that's a massive saving of  £ 1 ,1 7 8 over the lowest price we had been able to find online.

Thank you Moneysupermarket forum

Kevin and Iris 

• Post Points: 65
  •  Tue, Jun 26 2007, 9:56 AM

Fiamold and Indispensable    Thanks for your advice guys - we will give Best Advice UK a call and see what they can do for us.  Paying the kind of numbers these guys are talking about is crazy and to top it off my daugher (16) said great Dad, I can start driving in February ..........arghhhhhhh
    • Post Points: 50
  •  Tue, Jun 26 2007, 9:33 AM

Dear Kevin

You may find some help in the thread within the motoring section entitled "Insurance for 17 year olds - Plz help me." Slightly different circumstances to yours but nevertheless, may be useful to you.

Personally, I have managed to beat all quotations received for insurance with a company called Best Advice UK.   They have sorted out insurance for me and several members of my family and I was delighted with their prices and service.  I have a twin brother/sister, both 17 and they were pleased with their quote too.  Not sure what the price was exactly but I remember them raving about how good it was.  Good luck.

Regards

Indispensable

•  Tue, Jun 26 2007, 9:30 AM

Owner Driver - age 43 /  Full UK licence +10 years / over 5 years NCB / 2 SP30's Oct 2003 / Minor Accident 4 years ago

Named driver - age 49 / full UK licence +10 years / no convictions / 0 accidents

Named driver - age 17 / provisional licence / no convictions / 0 accidents

Address: SE9 soon to be SE6 postcode / to be kept on road

The cheapest quotation for Policy holder and partner to drive came in at under £300 fully comp.

Please help - any information would be welcomed with open arms.

Kevin

• Post Points: 35
  •  Tue, Jun 26 2007, 9:23 AM

Well the car is insurance group 6, so that could be a lot worse, but downsizing would probably help.

The biggest drivers however are a) the fact that it is obviously very new (based on the milage), and therefore potentially relative expensive to replace.  and b) his age.

£1680 certainly isnt the highest I have heard of.  Might be worth looking at increasing the voluntary excess (but be sure you understand what the compulsaries are for your son before doing so).  Also keep trying, using every company you can readily get at (search engines like MS's make that easier).

Finally, you might want to wait until he actually passes his test (or until he is 18 if he has already done so).

• Post Points: 35
  •  Tue, Jun 26 2007, 9:11 AM

Car Insurance for 17 year old learner driver. Any suggestions? Prices are crazy

Hi All,

WE NEED HELP ........................

We want to get our 17 year old son insured to drive his mother's car but the costs are coming back at stella levels.

The record price has been set at £6,700 for fully comp and the lowest is about £1680 with Tesco (single payment price)

We have tried Swinton £4700, several that would not quote at all, Tesco and Virgin seem to be the cheapest.

Can anyone direct us to a cheaper option.  Details are as follows:

Car is Citroen Zsara 1.4L Forte 5dr Hatchback, manual, petrol, no mods or conversions (bog standard factory spec)

Reg of car V reg / Year of Man 2000

Mileage 5000 per annum

Drivers Owner/driver

• Post Points: 65