home
in

Can I still work if I claim my pension through ill health?

Last post Wed, Sep 29 2010, 5:04 PM by pangar. 1 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Wed, Sep 29 2010, 5:04 PM

Re: Can I still work if I claim my pension through ill health?

Frannie

In short, it depends on the wording of the rules of your company pension scheme....

In some cases the rules require that a member must not be capable of performing any job at all; other schemes have less restrictive criteria. For example, they may simply require that a member is unable to carry on with his / her normal occupation.

The pension trustees would need medical evidence of your condition as well as an indication as to whether the condition is likely to improve in the future.

You need to check the rules of your scheme, or possibly ask your company pensions manager.

• Post Points: 5
  •  Tue, Sep 28 2010, 11:33 PM

Can I still work if I claim my pension through ill health?

I am finding it a struggle working at the moment due to an operation I have had done on my knee and now I get really bad hip problems. My GP said he would be happ to recommend retiring due to ill health. I am currently considering this but would like to know before making the final decision, if after doing so and claiming my company pension due to ill health, could I at some point in the future work again?

Thanks for any help and advice you can give.

• Post Points: 20