home
in

Can I cancel a new car order after signing and putting down a deposit??

Last post Fri, Sep 05 2008, 5:47 PM by wheelerdealer. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Fri, Sep 05 2008, 5:47 PM

Re: Can I cancel a new car order after signing and putting down a deposit??

I THINK YOUR ALLOWED TO CANCEL BUT LIKE YOU SAID YOUR DEPOSIT IS A GONER DID THEY GIVE YOU TERMS + CONDITIONS WHEN YOU SIGNED THE ORDER FORM BECAUSE THE ARE MENT TO I THINK AND THAT SHOULD TELL YOU WHATS WHAT!

• Post Points: 5
  •  Fri, Sep 05 2008, 5:43 PM

Re: Can I cancel a new car order after signing and putting down a deposit??

Hi --- As you suspect they are entitled to keep your deposit to offset against any costs they have incurred, however.... it would be unlikely they would sue you for more damages and they would have to show they have reasonably incurred any extra costs.
    • Post Points: 5
  •  Fri, Sep 05 2008, 11:06 AM

Can I cancel a new car order after signing and putting down a deposit??

Hi,

Just over a week ago I saw a brand new VW Golf in a showroom and decided I had to have it. I agreed on a price (it is direct with a Volkswagon dealer) and as the car was not yet registered signed a New Car order form. I paid a £200 deposit.

I have now had time to think about it and do not want to spend that amount of money on a car and wish to cancel.

I am not bothered about losing my deposit as the car is £22k - but I dont know if I am able to do this?? According to a review on What Car they say that the garage can keep the deposit and then sue me for damages.

There is no finance involved, it was to be a cash buy.

Is this correct or can I cancel without fear of being sued?

Help!!!!

• Post Points: 35