home
in

Can bad debt linked to your address be a problem?

Last post Fri, Feb 08 2008, 2:33 PM by conmankiller. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Fri, Feb 08 2008, 2:33 PM

Re: Can bad debt linked to your address be a problem?

Hi -- Any bad debts are linked to the person's name and their personal credit rating, they are not linked to the last known address for the reasons of the credit record and they are being sent to you simply because it was the last known address that the creditors have on record, it will not have an adverse affect on your personal credit rating(s).

FYI, while I don't know the previous owner's current address or phone number, I have left a couple of messages for his son telling him about the ominous letters but he's never rung back.

The above being the case, return them to the Solicitor who acted for the vendor when you bought the house. They will have their correct forwarding address on record.

PS -- I hope I have helped without becoming entwined in a marital dispute. : - O

• Post Points: 5
  •  Fri, Feb 08 2008, 1:06 PM

Sorry, I did mean to respond to that bit as well.

I don't believe there would be an issue as credit searches etc are done on name, not just address. But, going back to what I meant to say, the best way for you to get these guys to stop writing to someone who is not at your address is to return all the mail. Unless you do this, the credit agencies will assume that they are finding the correct person who is subsequentally ignoring them.

Next thing you'll have to explain it to a bailiff on the doorstep.

•  Fri, Feb 08 2008, 12:53 PM

Thanks, mooreaz, for your insights on opening other people's mail, but I'm actually more concerned about the possible link between bad debt and my address. Does anybody have he experience / expertise on this?
    • Post Points: 20
  •  Fri, Feb 08 2008, 10:22 AM

Hang on, I have just re-read the act...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Section 84: Interfering with the mail: general

127. Section 84(1) provides for it to be an offence if persons intentionally delay or open postal packets without reasonable excuse. It amalgamates the content of offences previously included in the Post Office Act 1953.

128. Subsection (3) makes it an offence for a person, intending to act to a person's detriment and without reasonable excuse, to open a postal packet which he knows or suspects has been incorrectly delivered to him.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There may be some debate over reasonable excuse, but I would still return it all back to sender.

• Post Points: 20
  •  Fri, Feb 08 2008, 10:04 AM

Hi,

I think you might find that it is illegal to open someone elses mail.

If I were you I would return all mail addressed to people not in your home with either "Unknown at this address" or "No longer at this address" clearly marked on the envelope.

Postal Services Act 2000 Section 84

A person commits an offence if, intending to act to a person's detriment and without reasonable excuse, opens a postal packet which they know or suspect to have been delivered incorrectly

•  Fri, Feb 08 2008, 9:37 AM

Can bad debt linked to your address be a problem?

My wife and I have lived in our house for more than a year and it seems that previous owner had a company that defaulted on about 30K worth of debt. We've occasionally opened the letters just to see what the deal was. Most recently, he's received one from a collection agency. My wife keeps telling me I should ring the creditor or collection agency to tell them the guy no longer lives there. She heard that bad debt linked to your address can jeapordise your own credit rating. Seems unlikely to me and sounds very much like an urban myth. Has anybody heard anything about this?

The reason I wouldn't want to call the creditor or agency is I don't want my name anywhere near the bad debt. Who's right in this case? Your chance to resolve a husband-wife argument!

FYI, while I don't know the previous owner's current address or phone number, I have left a couple of messages for his son telling him about the ominous letters but he's never rung back.

• Post Points: 35