home
in

Buy "new" Glasgow Rangers shares

Last post Fri, Oct 12 2012, 3:06 AM by maxsteam. 12 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Fri, Oct 12 2012, 3:06 AM

Re: Buy "new" Glasgow Rangers shares

sam_2012:you can register your interest

There is precisely zero information about the company, the shares, voting rights, the plans, likely dividends, profit/loss details (current or forcast), assets, or anything relevant to an investment there, sam_2012, yet visitors to the site are being asked to propose an amount that they are willing to invest. To me, it sounds like too much taking details and not any giving.

Is it not reasonable for supporters to be given some basic information before they are asked to promise money? Even some vague ideas about where the money will go would be better than nothing. For all that that site tells us, any funds that are raised could just go into padding out the "top" people's salaries.

The site wont let visitors state their country as "Scotland" and there's not even mention of which particular company will be offering the shares. Are they taking supporters for granted?

• Post Points: 5
  •  Thu, Oct 11 2012, 11:16 PM

you can register your interest at www.rangersshareoffer.com
    • Post Points: 20
  •  Thu, Oct 11 2012, 6:58 PM

I remember when celtic had a share issue. I bought £5000 worth of shares, todays value is just under £1000 :(
  •  Wed, Oct 10 2012, 3:46 PM

You should not expect dividends or profits from investing in football shares. The company's intentions for dividends are likely to be stated in the listing particulars.

With a "normal" company, if there's spare money, there will be a debate about whether to pay a dividend or to invest for long term growth. With a football team, the debate will be how to spend the money so that more matches can be won this season. Supporters will, if given the choice, usually vote to buy a high-profile player rather than receive a dividend on their shares.

If there is a demand for more shares in a football club, this will not always drive the price up as the demand will give the company the opportunity to raise more money by issuing more shares.

Someone wanting to invest for a profit should avoid football shares. Supporters wanting their club to have funds available to improve the club's standing will invest but they wont make money doing so.

•  Wed, Oct 10 2012, 12:02 PM

Hi Peter

I can only assume that you live down south and haven't seen all the Rangers fans calling for the sacking of their manager Ally McCoist in the papers, phone-ins, twitter and internet forums. Could be an unsettling situation for ordinary investors and not for fans.

They have won at home but they haven't won an away match so far this season and were knocked out of the SFL3 Ramsden Cup at Ibrox by another SFL3 side. The players they are playing have full time jobs and the guy from Stirling Albion that scored the goal against them works as a labourer. His football wage is possibly c£100 a week and Rangers is full of players on £5K a week.

2020 pessimistic - well who knows football is a funny game and anything can happend and that's why investors now tend to steer clear of football shares having previouslly had their fingers burnt with a plethora of even Premiership share issues. Even if they win promotion each year in each of the three leagues then the very earliest they can reach the SPL is season 2015/16 if there isn't an single slip-up. They are also banned from Europe for 3 years minimum.

But the bigegst problem is their CEO says Rangers won't joining the top Scottish Premier League as long as he is at the club. So I think 2020 might be very optimistic on my part. Unless the CEO is leaving earluer than we think and hopefully prospective shareholders will be advised how long he is staying when Rangers floats.

•  Wed, Oct 10 2012, 11:44 AM

maxsteam - you won't have any problem buying any as there will soon be an AIM Flotation. Obviously Rangers Bears will buy shares in their club out of loyalty but ordinary investors are looking to make money.

They probably have already seen that, in general, football shares are poor performers and players make the real money not the investors who seldom get dividends or voting rights. I reckon ordinary investors might conclude that a team in the bottom Scottish division, just beaten by the lowest team in that division, may take quite a bit of time to get its act together.

Another worrying aspect for the financial prospects of Rangers is that the CEO and man behind the purchase of the soon to be liquidated company's assets has declared that he won't be allowing Rangers to join the SPL as long as he is at the club. That is the only full-time league in Scotland and also the only path to European Football and many find his stance unbelieveable nancial terms.

It will be interesting to see if this is revealed to prospective shareholders in the AIM flotation prospectus.

•  Mon, Oct 08 2012, 9:07 PM

PeterCushion:

They are a footballing giant and despite not having the same players they had last season, there rise to prominence once more, won't be hindered too considerably.

If I can get any shares, I'll be buying them!

Please remember that footballing success and financial success do not always go together. In a football club, shareholders are usually supporters who are more interested in goals than net assets. If you are a supporter of any club with listed shares, then you might feel obliged to buy some but you should neither put your life savings into the shares, nor should you expect to make a profit.

•  Mon, Oct 08 2012, 7:53 PM

Hi,

I think to suggest Rangers won't return to the the SPL until 2020 is pessimistic. They're 3rd in Div 3 and the loss at the weekend was their first defeat in the league this season. They have a 100% record at Ibrox so far this season and i'm of the opinion that they'll win the 3rd Division at a canter. You mention the expenses of the 50,000 seater stadium but you should also be aware that they are averaging 47,000 crowds at home, second only to Celtic's gates, this alone will provide revenue that no other (apart from Celtic, obviously) league club will be able to complete with. Plus, you should also remember that they have won more League titles than ANYBODY and are one of the best supported clubs in Europe. They are a footballing giant and despite not having the same players they had last season, there rise to prominence once more, won't be hindered too considerably.

If I can get any shares, I'll be buying them!

• Post Points: 35
  •  Mon, Oct 08 2012, 5:29 PM

Apparently details of the Rangers AIM Flotation are expected to be announced this week.

But shares have already been issued and traded and just before the weekend the undernoted details were announced. Charles Green has been involved in a number of AIM Flotations and was deputy chairman of Panceltica which had an AIM listing which didn't last too long. Imran Ahmad is a director with Rangers and also MD of Zeus Capital. Can't figure out how shares are being issued and traded before the flotation with no Plc registered it would seem and perhaps you can comment on that.

I think you might be right about 2020 being a possible date by the time Rangers get back to the top flight of Scottish Football. They went into admin in May 2012 and will be liquidated in next couple of weeks. A consortium bought the club assets for £5.5 million - it had about £130 million debts including £94 million owed to HMRC who voted a CVA down. They are also barred from Europe for at least 3 years.

Rangers are now in the lowest division in Scottish Football and were beaten on Saturday by the bottom team in Scotland which has lost its last 5 matches and is a part-time team. Most of Rangers big players walked out but the club still has huge expenses compared to the others in SFL3 with a 50,000 seater stadium and players on £4k a week compared to the £50-£100 average of the part-timers who usually play to a few hundred fans at most.

Being out of the top league also means that there is no Euro money coming in and most savvy investors are waiting to see where the flotation money is going to be spent as there is a fear a lot could go to the original investors. But Rangers has a transfer ban and can't buy any new players for another 12/18 months. And a major tax tribunal decision is about to be made any day involving the old club over the use of EBTs with a separate SPL Commission being held with the new club fighting the prospects over titles being stripped over a 10 year period.

UNDERNOTE

Charles Green CEO stated: ’22,690,000 shares have already been issued – these are with the initial backers (consortium). Imran Ahmad estimates a further 22M+ in the next round. The minimum investment is 500 shares. Imran Ahmad was asked what price will one share cost? He explained that a bunch were traded at 50p early on, and more recently 1M where traded at £1. He estimates somewhere between £1-£1.50 per share, it will be finalised when the value of the club is established’.

•  Sat, Aug 11 2012, 11:46 PM

PeterCushion:

I think it would be an investment that might be worthwhile over the next 5 years.

We may have to agree to disagree on that. I would say that they are a good bet for the 2020 SPL title but most clubs and Rangers in particular, will prefer to spend any spare money (as well as money that isn't spare) on transfers and keeping supporters happy rather than on looking after shareholder interests.

I can't see there being a public share issue until they are back in the top leagues. The current investors are likely to be able to fund anything that's going to happen in the lower divisions.

•  Sat, Aug 11 2012, 10:39 PM

Hi,

thanks for the response. That would explain why I haven't been able to find anywhere selling their shares! I know the finance has been poorly handled but you could say that about most British football clubs and although as you say, it would only be a bit of fun to invest in Rangers, I do think it will be interesting to see how they get on. They won't lose the fan base in Div 3 and will have a greater buying power than any any other Scottish League club outside of the SPL so I don't think they'll have a long stay away from competing with Celtic for the SPL title and the odd Champions League qualifier. If the shares were public, I think it would be an investment that might be worthwhile over the next 5 years.

Thanks.

•  Sat, Aug 11 2012, 10:15 PM

The club and grounds are, I believe, owned by The Rangers Football Club Ltd, a private limited company. As far as I am aware, there is no plan to make any shares in the company available to the public in the near future. If shares do get offered, you should see any purchase as a bit of fun rather than a way to save for your retirement. The club has a 50k seater stadium to maintain on Scottish League Division 3 income and, while it is a new company, the club has had success on the pitch but it has failed miserably in matters relating to finance.
  •  Sat, Aug 11 2012, 4:55 PM

Buy "new" Glasgow Rangers shares

Hi,

do you know where I can buy shares in the new company? I can only find information that relates to the liquidated company.

thanks.

• Post Points: 35