home
in

Business rate charges for electricity

Last post Mon, Mar 31 2008, 11:51 AM by emma1984. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Mon, Mar 31 2008, 11:51 AM

Re: Business rate charges for electricity

Hi Lyn

That seems like quite a lot for your stables. Now is the time to shop around, I've heard that Electricity4business are quite a competitive energy supplier as they only cater for smaller businesses.

Good luck!

• Post Points: 5
  •  Tue, Dec 05 2006, 11:19 AM

Re: Business rate charges for electricity

Lyn,

In order to resolve this matter I would advise that you speak to your energy provider to discuss the following things:

What percentage of the stable is personal and what is business? I.e. if the stables are 100% for personal use then you may be able to switch to a residential tariff and therefore potentially avoid paying a standing charge. It might be that the stables were once listed as a business and therefore you have automatically been placed on a business rate.

If the stables are a business then there is something called a VAT certificate, which your supplier will be able to provide you, that will help you explain what percentage of your consumption comes from business/personal usage.

You should definitely run this by your existing supplier and then, if you are still not happy, you could use the moneysupermarket price comparison tool to find a new tariff/supplier that does not have a standing charge.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Scott Byrom
    moneysupermarket.com
    • Post Points: 5
  •  Mon, Dec 04 2006, 9:59 PM

Business rate charges for electricity

Hi I own a small stable block, with 4 stables, I only use a small amount of electricity, latest bill shows £12.18 worth of electric used, however as noone lives at the stables (other than the horses) I am charged business rate, which incurs a standing charge which is more than the electricity used. the standing charge being £17.39 then they add VAT to that !! Please advise me if this is correct, as I had previously thought that they should not charge if your useage was less than the standing charge, if that makes any sense
    • Post Points: 35