home
in

BT Cancellation Charge. Another rip-off?

Last post Sat, Nov 22 2014, 6:24 PM by Brucey_Bonus. 37 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (38 items)   1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Sat, Nov 22 2014, 6:24 PM

Re: BT Cancellation Charge. Another rip-off?

Absolutely gutted to find out BT own Plusnet. So now I'm being charged by BT to essentially stay with BT and there's nothing I can do about it. I can't believe that is legal even. If I didn't need internet at home for work, as I do at the moment, I think I'd just say sod it and do without home phone and internet.
    • Post Points: 5
  •  Sat, Nov 22 2014, 11:36 AM

If you have to go to Ofcom please let us know how you get on

They didn't back me up whatsoever even though BT were blatantly lying and conveniently 'lost' the telephone conversation I had with them when I moved home where no new contract was stated to me

I'm so sick of these big companies taking advantage of the consumers

I even emailed don't get done get Dom lol. Maybe if enough people do this then it might get tackled. I emailed Watchdog too, but something tells me that the BBC don't want to tackle BT

• Post Points: 20
  •  Fri, Nov 21 2014, 11:11 PM

It seems to me that BT have spent so much on football for their TV channels that they can't afford decent service for customers. I have had a gut full of issues not resolved and waiting for replies so used the price increase to increase to transfer to another provider. I had to persist to get an email from BT confirming they would not charge me for leaving.

I finally got a reply that states, “Please take this email as confirmation that as you are moving providers due to the price change within the agreed 30 days there will be no cancellation charges due.”

Three weeks later I get a bill that includes £93 in penalties.

I will take to OFCOM if needed.
  •  Fri, Nov 21 2014, 7:35 PM

BT and Plusnet are the same company. BT bought Plusnet years back. Its a good way to generate extra income by blaming each other.

Before it was bought over by BT, Plusnet service was brill, after that the service was exactly the same as BT. The customer service is crap, you have to wait more than 15 mins, you go through the process of telling them what the problem and then they tell you its your equipment, even if you have prroved that your equipment is not faulty - I am a it engineer so do my checks before calling them and you will be charged for the BT engineers visit if it turns out to be your fault. thats £75 or £95 last time I called them. I have listened to music for more than 15mins for a 2mins conversation to be told that I need to check online portal for the response. They did not respond to my question my the portal, as they said I need to speak to someone. That is how good they are - NOT. I was with plusnet since they started off (thats nearly 7-8years) but the service got ridiculously crap and their engineers did not know what they were taking about.

Did you watch Watchdog this week about Openreach. Its a monopoly and OFCOM does nothing to seperate it, even thought industry has been asking for years. I guess it gets money from BT so why seperate it. Also one of the minister is an ex-BT boss, So hey, the consumers suffer

•  Fri, Nov 21 2014, 3:13 PM

If I were you I would dig your heels in. It's the only way these big companies will learn they can't treat people like this

I can't remember if I put this in my last post now but my account went to debt collection. The debt company called me and I said tell BT to take me to court because they aren't getting any money out of me.

I haven't heard anything since. It's also not on my credit file so I'm guessing BT decided to drop the case.

Proper scam artists just trying to rip people off as much as possible. I will never have anything to do with them ever again

•  Fri, Nov 21 2014, 1:18 PM

Same problem here! BT are total scammers.

Despite using them for phone line for ten years I got stung with an "early termination" fee. They say when I contacted them to move house I signed up for a years contract, it may have been hidden in small print but I was not aware of it and I didn't actually sign anything. Also within 3 days of contacting them to change address I moved supplier to Plusnet so I should have been within their 14 day free cancellation period but as it takes a couple of weeks to change the phone supplier BT say I am out of the 14 day period. Plusnet say that's just how long it takes. So basically BT have that covered, you can't get around it.

I really don't want to pay this fee, out of principle more than anything else but don't want to end up with bad credit because of it. Any suggestions? Do I just roll over and let BT treat me like scum. The only other thing I can do is make sure I never use their services again and bad mouth them at any opportunity...
    • Post Points: 35
  •  Sat, May 10 2014, 12:23 PM

I also had nothing but problems with BT (since moving house) and then when I decided to leave now over a year ago I got a whole load more problems from them, and it's still going on now.

I received my final bill for just over £50 last year and 2 days later received a bill for almost £200 made up of mostly cancellation fees.

It's a long story but I had been a BT customer for 12 years so was well past the 12 month contract. According to them I entered a new contract when I moved house, although nobody informed me of this.

They 'lost' the phone conversation I had with someone at BT when I moved address and apparently they sent my contract details to my email address at the time I moved home. They did not, and the email address they claimed to have sent this to did not exist at this time as I had not used it for such a long time.

Unbelievably the communications ombudsman found that I had no case

Today I received a letter regarding this from a debt collection company

I now have to get myself a solicitor. Further charges have been added and the bill is now around £250.

I find BT to be disgusting. I have been with Sky since I left BT, have loads of channels and super fast internet connection for half the price I was paying with BT. My broadband wasn't even working half the time with BT.

•  Fri, Apr 25 2014, 1:42 PM

I'm currently with BT and have nothing but problems with them also and reading this forum is no surprise to me ppl are sick of BT.

I'm on a upto 16mb unlimited anytime calls package even tho my line is only rated upto 8mb and

for the last 3 months im only receiving 1mb at peak times so I complained to them that in itself was a horrible experience, I was told im on a congested

exchange and they would see if anything can be done, nothing has been done and since Wednesday morning this week I've had no broadband at all from them, so I

spoke with a BT mod and he said he cant do anything until 9th may when a new update will take place, so I said I want to cancel my account then and he flatly

refused to agree to it so im kind of stuck now and find it unbelievable that this can happen with-in the British law system.

I understand that every area and exchange will differ in its output, but BT have spread themselves very thin and as a result there is a massive number of

congested exchanges, so at peak times 6pm - 11pm and all weekends you will be in the slow lane.

They are not easy to contact and once you do get through to someone you can understand they are bordering on being rude and sarcastic.

If you try and be herd via their forums then forget it as they have that base covered also,
    They move your post around in their forums to suit themselves and to hide your complaints with-in a web of old post.

They also use India call centres that will send you mad if you ever do have to phone them.

The worse thing I ever did was to let this cowboy company be my isp. all they provided me with was a headache and frustration.

•  Sun, Feb 09 2014, 11:30 PM

my best recommendation would be to call another provider advise that there isn't an active landline at the property and you are unaware of the number. an engineer will need to install a new one and you will loose the number that you have that way you get a new line and the old one will not be released also bt have to keep the original recording for a minimum of 5 years according to ofcom. if you raise the complaint as a miss selling and they still have the call of com will check it out and if ruled in your favour then bt will have to waver all charges
  •  Sat, Jan 25 2014, 4:14 PM

I have a similar problem and if anyone could help that would be great.
    A few years ago my mother signed up with BT (best package for the cheapest price) it was just a home phone with intention of broadband added later. So with 3 teenagers in the house she asked for a cap of £100 to make sure nothing too bad happened. That was fine FOR A MONTH ! Until she got a bill for over £500 ! She rang them because obviously there was some mistake. Nope they said no mistake it was because of internet usage (We had an old amstrad to check emails) but my mam had been told it was a penny a minute after 6 and it was never used more than 5 minutes every other week.
    Mam asked the woman she was speaking to to get back to her after she'd checked it out. Nothing for a week so mam rang them back they said they were investigating and would get back to her. So mam asked to cancel as it was useless to her he said OK. Next week we get a letter from a debt collection agency for the original bill plus fees for unpaid bill plus cancellation fee plus the agency's fee. Along with the direct debit charges for returned payment. After talking to BT they said work something out with the agency. So for the last few years this huge bill has been stopping us having any home phone or broadband as they won't give up the line without us paying the bill which we can't afford. Any help would be fantastic.
    Thanks in advance
  •  Sun, Jan 05 2014, 11:45 PM

Whatever you use DON'T USE SKY

My father is elderly and was a loyal customer of Sky for over 12 yrs

When his router packed up, (third time in 3 yrs) he phoned for a replacement, they said it would cost around an extra £100 for a router worth less than an Argos TP Link model, I was pretty shocked, he's suffering health problems and has no use for a phone anymore. (Unfortunately Sky Broadband wont work with any other router apart from their own)

When I spoke to Sky 'support' staff, I suggested it was to high and I would switch to another supplier, she insisted that I go ahead, I was expecting her to throw in the towel (seems they've smartened up eh!) and send a new router hub ASAP, so I put my money where my mouth is and signed up with EE faster than 4G!! and at half the price Sky was extorting its a much much better deal by miles.

I was asked to get a Migration code, or Sky Mac Code for the switch over, which I got and a few hours later another guy from Sky phones up and pleads for me not to switch and that he would give me a couple of quid of my next bill.

I was polite and basically said its too little too late.

They wrote to me a week later confirming the migration code, but nothing about termination of services, I wrote to them and told them my bank has stopped all direct payments as I was no longer a customer...Lo and behold a response came back saying my father had to actually phone in, which I did as he was unable to do so, they said he still had to pay for an extra 2 months worth of services because I informed them today and it was under their terms and conditions.

From my experience, the old established providers are crooks (BT Included), they use dirty tactics and extortion even when you write to them they have a template to catch you out to get extra £££

My advice is go with the newer providers and technologies and inform all the people you know to avoid Micro$oft, Sky BT, BBC, there are ways you can avoid huge bills by just using a large monitor panel display instead of a TV, use Open Source Operating Systems like Linux or PC-BSD free which even Mac OS/X is actually based on!!- YouTube has lots of info and tips on the Licence fee and Linux TV Box

•  Fri, Jan 03 2014, 1:26 PM

Ive just been told I have to pay £230 for the privilege of cancelling my BT account before I move abroad. What an absolute joke. And what's more, the account is non-transferrable so they've got you completely, and there's no way out of it. Ive had problems with BT since I joined them and once ive paid this ridiculous fee, I will never be using BT again.
  •  Fri, Oct 25 2013, 10:04 AM

Zen Internet rent lines off BT and administer your account. So you get a BT line with your old number and none of the BT hassle. I did it and never regretted the seamless transition. BT were peeved but there was nothing they could do about it. Zen Internet are one of the better Internet providers that have now entered the phone market too. You do need to use their Broadband too which is also hassle free. http://www.zen.co.uk.
  •  Mon, Sep 24 2012, 11:57 PM

Yes I am replying to myself but on this thread from a few years ago.

Unrelated, but still related. Due to the situation being resolved, after moving to a new address, I needed internet, tv broadband. Attempted to move my sky contract to my new address but no phone line. Was told I would have to get a BT line put in by sky, and that they would take over the charges etc, upon the line being installed. Do not get tricked by this one. It is lies.They wont. A BT engineer came out installed new line then left. within 5 minutes of him leaving I started receiving spam, telemarket calls non stop. This was supposed to be an ex directory brand new line. Callers wanting the previous tennant demanding money and such. These calls before the BT curtesy call to check all is well, strange as I never received this this time. I rang 150 only to hear somebody talking on the line. As I was speaking to the person to query the calls and how was it happening with a new line. I asked could they hear what I was hearing, apparently not. Yet I had 3 witnesses at my house who could also hear this interference, crossed line. Got told they could not help and they would send an engineer out if I agreed to pay the call out fee. Strange, brand new line, less than 20 minutes old needing an engineer and requiring a call out fee. What happened to the 12 months quality guarentee? My mistake. For the next 3 days the phone rang off its rocker, incoming none stop marketing, silent calls. I rang again to query, also about the continued interference. Kept getting the `pay for an engineer` spiel. Sky could not be installed due to the interference on the line, including cancelling their `bargain` agreement of paying my costs of interloping with BT again in the first place. Which I swore I would never ever do again, due to previous experience. So the whole point of getting the BT line was now null and void. Could not contact BT for the next two weeks as the line was crackly, muffled and had radio interference. Got through, and got told by a surley call handler to `go buy a new fr***ng phone then`. I had a new phone.Did not think I deserved to be spoken to like that, had witness to her rudeness. Was ill, for two wk after, (swine flu), was still receiving constant silent, spam etc, 20-30 calls per day. Obviously not ex direct or a brand new number. Another lie. Decided to pull the phone out of the socket so I could have some peace and quiet, I could not use the phone in any case. Plugged phone in to listen to recorded message from BT saying my usage was above normal and to contact them. I rang and said I had not rang any number but them they insisted that I had. How as I could not call out from day one due to interference on the line. After the constant spam I had pulled out the phone from the socket. I KNOW I had not made any calls at all. The truth is nobody had made one call apart from me to 150 and to answer the recorded message. Any way, they insisted I had made calls, charges to my direct debit account, NO I HAD NOT, charged me for this PREMIUM number to a german company through some computer game charge. This was not true. Nobody had my number, I had not given it out. It was ex directory, I only rang BT to sort out my crappy unusable line. They would not have this. Charges up to 400 quid threatening to send a van round to confiscate my belongings etc, bully boy tactics, really nasty. I Cancelled Direct debit, Got further charges, more charges on top because they passed it to a debt collector.All for a line I had never even used. Or wanted in the first place, but had to go through BT in order to get a line put in. It never worked. I complained to ofcom. They backed BT, apparently they had proof. I told them the line was a crossed line from the start, and that they did not want to know. I couldnt proove this, nor that there was not even a phone handset in the phone socket. They just believe the liars that are BT. I nearly had a break down over this. Had no choice to pay was threatened with court, then threatened with jail if i failed to pay up. I did not even owe this money. So corrupt these companies are. I heard after, if some person can get your details they can use it on the internet, and charge it to your phone bill. I reckon this is what happened to me. If so this is fraud and there should be some protection for innocent victims of this.
    As it is now, I am with Virgin now, not many problems, price is getting a bit steep now, but I am no longer a shiney new customer, thats how it goes I guess. I will never go to BT ever again, I said it before and made the mistake of going back, I will buy walkie talkies before I get BT again. Lesson learned. They do not seem to realise or care what they put people through, the second time they had me on verge of a nervous breakdown when I had the swine flu on top of it all, and they dont give a hoot how they treat people. Anybody out there be warned. BT are lethal. They lie and are rude and are about the ££££ nothing else, even when they lie and steal and scam to get it.
  •  Thu, Sep 06 2012, 8:00 PM

Re: BT Cancellation Charge --- How to get it dropped

Yep a right royal rip off,

I exploded when they dropped the £30 fine for termination, I told them that I would not pay it as this was never disclosed until after I committed to BT via a screen in the Hub setup in the term's and condition that you have to agree to before you can get connected... NOT FAIR

I said I would pay it if you can show me where I agreed to this.... silence... I raised a complaint and a few weeks later I got a call from them saying they agreed to drop the fee, so stick to your guns and put them on the back foot by making them prove they told you,

Page 1 of 3 (38 items)   1 2 3 Next >