home
in

BT Cancellation Charge. Another rip-off?

Last post Sun, Feb 09 2014, 11:30 PM by ashm2. 29 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (30 items)   1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Sun, Feb 09 2014, 11:30 PM

Re: BT Cancellation Charge. Another rip-off?

my best recommendation would be to call another provider advise that there isn't an active landline at the property and you are unaware of the number. an engineer will need to install a new one and you will loose the number that you have that way you get a new line and the old one will not be released also bt have to keep the original recording for a minimum of 5 years according to ofcom. if you raise the complaint as a miss selling and they still have the call of com will check it out and if ruled in your favour then bt will have to waver all charges
    • Post Points: 5
  •  Sat, Jan 25 2014, 4:14 PM

I have a similar problem and if anyone could help that would be great.
    A few years ago my mother signed up with BT (best package for the cheapest price) it was just a home phone with intention of broadband added later. So with 3 teenagers in the house she asked for a cap of £100 to make sure nothing too bad happened. That was fine FOR A MONTH ! Until she got a bill for over £500 ! She rang them because obviously there was some mistake. Nope they said no mistake it was because of internet usage (We had an old amstrad to check emails) but my mam had been told it was a penny a minute after 6 and it was never used more than 5 minutes every other week.
    Mam asked the woman she was speaking to to get back to her after she'd checked it out. Nothing for a week so mam rang them back they said they were investigating and would get back to her. So mam asked to cancel as it was useless to her he said OK. Next week we get a letter from a debt collection agency for the original bill plus fees for unpaid bill plus cancellation fee plus the agency's fee. Along with the direct debit charges for returned payment. After talking to BT they said work something out with the agency. So for the last few years this huge bill has been stopping us having any home phone or broadband as they won't give up the line without us paying the bill which we can't afford. Any help would be fantastic.
    Thanks in advance
    • Post Points: 20
  •  Sun, Jan 05 2014, 11:45 PM

Whatever you use DON'T USE SKY

My father is elderly and was a loyal customer of Sky for over 12 yrs

When his router packed up, (third time in 3 yrs) he phoned for a replacement, they said it would cost around an extra £100 for a router worth less than an Argos TP Link model, I was pretty shocked, he's suffering health problems and has no use for a phone anymore. (Unfortunately Sky Broadband wont work with any other router apart from their own)

When I spoke to Sky 'support' staff, I suggested it was to high and I would switch to another supplier, she insisted that I go ahead, I was expecting her to throw in the towel (seems they've smartened up eh!) and send a new router hub ASAP, so I put my money where my mouth is and signed up with EE faster than 4G!! and at half the price Sky was extorting its a much much better deal by miles.

I was asked to get a Migration code, or Sky Mac Code for the switch over, which I got and a few hours later another guy from Sky phones up and pleads for me not to switch and that he would give me a couple of quid of my next bill.

I was polite and basically said its too little too late.

They wrote to me a week later confirming the migration code, but nothing about termination of services, I wrote to them and told them my bank has stopped all direct payments as I was no longer a customer...Lo and behold a response came back saying my father had to actually phone in, which I did as he was unable to do so, they said he still had to pay for an extra 2 months worth of services because I informed them today and it was under their terms and conditions.

From my experience, the old established providers are crooks (BT Included), they use dirty tactics and extortion even when you write to them they have a template to catch you out to get extra £££

My advice is go with the newer providers and technologies and inform all the people you know to avoid Micro$oft, Sky BT, BBC, there are ways you can avoid huge bills by just using a large monitor panel display instead of a TV, use Open Source Operating Systems like Linux or PC-BSD free which even Mac OS/X is actually based on!!- YouTube has lots of info and tips on the Licence fee and Linux TV Box

•  Fri, Jan 03 2014, 1:26 PM

Ive just been told I have to pay £230 for the privilege of cancelling my BT account before I move abroad. What an absolute joke. And what's more, the account is non-transferrable so they've got you completely, and there's no way out of it. Ive had problems with BT since I joined them and once ive paid this ridiculous fee, I will never be using BT again.
  •  Fri, Oct 25 2013, 10:04 AM

Zen Internet rent lines off BT and administer your account. So you get a BT line with your old number and none of the BT hassle. I did it and never regretted the seamless transition. BT were peeved but there was nothing they could do about it. Zen Internet are one of the better Internet providers that have now entered the phone market too. You do need to use their Broadband too which is also hassle free. http://www.zen.co.uk.
  •  Mon, Sep 24 2012, 11:57 PM

Yes I am replying to myself but on this thread from a few years ago.

Unrelated, but still related. Due to the situation being resolved, after moving to a new address, I needed internet, tv broadband. Attempted to move my sky contract to my new address but no phone line. Was told I would have to get a BT line put in by sky, and that they would take over the charges etc, upon the line being installed. Do not get tricked by this one. It is lies.They wont. A BT engineer came out installed new line then left. within 5 minutes of him leaving I started receiving spam, telemarket calls non stop. This was supposed to be an ex directory brand new line. Callers wanting the previous tennant demanding money and such. These calls before the BT curtesy call to check all is well, strange as I never received this this time. I rang 150 only to hear somebody talking on the line. As I was speaking to the person to query the calls and how was it happening with a new line. I asked could they hear what I was hearing, apparently not. Yet I had 3 witnesses at my house who could also hear this interference, crossed line. Got told they could not help and they would send an engineer out if I agreed to pay the call out fee. Strange, brand new line, less than 20 minutes old needing an engineer and requiring a call out fee. What happened to the 12 months quality guarentee? My mistake. For the next 3 days the phone rang off its rocker, incoming none stop marketing, silent calls. I rang again to query, also about the continued interference. Kept getting the `pay for an engineer` spiel. Sky could not be installed due to the interference on the line, including cancelling their `bargain` agreement of paying my costs of interloping with BT again in the first place. Which I swore I would never ever do again, due to previous experience. So the whole point of getting the BT line was now null and void. Could not contact BT for the next two weeks as the line was crackly, muffled and had radio interference. Got through, and got told by a surley call handler to `go buy a new fr***ng phone then`. I had a new phone.Did not think I deserved to be spoken to like that, had witness to her rudeness. Was ill, for two wk after, (swine flu), was still receiving constant silent, spam etc, 20-30 calls per day. Obviously not ex direct or a brand new number. Another lie. Decided to pull the phone out of the socket so I could have some peace and quiet, I could not use the phone in any case. Plugged phone in to listen to recorded message from BT saying my usage was above normal and to contact them. I rang and said I had not rang any number but them they insisted that I had. How as I could not call out from day one due to interference on the line. After the constant spam I had pulled out the phone from the socket. I KNOW I had not made any calls at all. The truth is nobody had made one call apart from me to 150 and to answer the recorded message. Any way, they insisted I had made calls, charges to my direct debit account, NO I HAD NOT, charged me for this PREMIUM number to a german company through some computer game charge. This was not true. Nobody had my number, I had not given it out. It was ex directory, I only rang BT to sort out my crappy unusable line. They would not have this. Charges up to 400 quid threatening to send a van round to confiscate my belongings etc, bully boy tactics, really nasty. I Cancelled Direct debit, Got further charges, more charges on top because they passed it to a debt collector.All for a line I had never even used. Or wanted in the first place, but had to go through BT in order to get a line put in. It never worked. I complained to ofcom. They backed BT, apparently they had proof. I told them the line was a crossed line from the start, and that they did not want to know. I couldnt proove this, nor that there was not even a phone handset in the phone socket. They just believe the liars that are BT. I nearly had a break down over this. Had no choice to pay was threatened with court, then threatened with jail if i failed to pay up. I did not even owe this money. So corrupt these companies are. I heard after, if some person can get your details they can use it on the internet, and charge it to your phone bill. I reckon this is what happened to me. If so this is fraud and there should be some protection for innocent victims of this.
    As it is now, I am with Virgin now, not many problems, price is getting a bit steep now, but I am no longer a shiney new customer, thats how it goes I guess. I will never go to BT ever again, I said it before and made the mistake of going back, I will buy walkie talkies before I get BT again. Lesson learned. They do not seem to realise or care what they put people through, the second time they had me on verge of a nervous breakdown when I had the swine flu on top of it all, and they dont give a hoot how they treat people. Anybody out there be warned. BT are lethal. They lie and are rude and are about the ££££ nothing else, even when they lie and steal and scam to get it.
  •  Thu, Sep 06 2012, 8:00 PM

Re: BT Cancellation Charge --- How to get it dropped

Yep a right royal rip off,

I exploded when they dropped the £30 fine for termination, I told them that I would not pay it as this was never disclosed until after I committed to BT via a screen in the Hub setup in the term's and condition that you have to agree to before you can get connected... NOT FAIR

I said I would pay it if you can show me where I agreed to this.... silence... I raised a complaint and a few weeks later I got a call from them saying they agreed to drop the fee, so stick to your guns and put them on the back foot by making them prove they told you,

•  Thu, Aug 30 2012, 6:08 PM

I took out a contract with bt for home telephone in February 2011.. A short while later in March, 2011, I added bt vision which incidenally proved to be the worst possible form of TV viewing one could imagine. Nevertheless that's another subject matter. On the 4th of April, 2011,, I commenced a contract with bt for broadband. It was for 10 GB usage at a cost of £16.00 per month. The contract was made and accepted/agreed over the telephone, via bt telesales personnel. Nothing, but nothing was mentioned about 'Out of Contract Charges of £30' . That means for those of you that don't know, " bt maintains that at the end of your contract with them, they have the right to charge you £30.00 for disconnection of the broadband service". No written paper contract was sent to me at my home address, nor has been since. I chose paper billing which I recevied monthly. My usage of the broadband has been roughly the same within an hour or so each and every month.since the contract began, at which time I was charged £10 for over usage of broadband. Since then, and without further added usage, bt gradually added an extra £5 each and every month onwards; it eventually ended up as £30.00 for over usage, plus the sum of course of £16.00 for the originally agreed monthly contract price. Result.......My monthly bill for broadband alone for a low monthly usage = £46.00 which roughly translated in simple English, or in the words of the 'Prophet' means " A bt 'RIP OFF ". Whilst you are 100% satisfied that you have not over used broadband to this extent, Just how do you prove otherwise, because bt India, constantly maintained that their machine had recorded my usage as such. On complaining, of this, bt did their best to get me to upgrade, because they said that I could have a faster speed, and more GBs for less cost.. But I saw through this tactic straight away. I would be commiting myself to a further 18 months tied contract with them by doing so. No way was I going to do that.; bt must have thought, that I was born on a banana boat, as they do and 'try on' with all their customers. WHAT DID BT START DOING ?..... SLOW DOWN MY SPEED EVEN FURTHER SO AS TO GET ME TO GIVE IN TO THEIR UPGRADE .The term of my 18 month contract was nearing the end, with just one month to go. There was a requirement of 30 days notice to be given for cancellation, and so on the 30th of August, 2012, I telephoned bt and chose the answer machine options to be put through to "Customers wishing to end contracts". My tape recorder was activated. I spoke to Claire at bt., and gave her clear instructions to cancel my contract, which was to take effect on my last day of the 18 mth contract , which was the 3rd of October 2012 and was in 34 days time. Claire started off quite polite, and did her very best to dissuade me from ending both phone line contract and broadband service. After all ,she is an employee of bt ., and was duty bound to stand in support of her employer. I persoally would be ashamed to say I was employed by bt. However, my determination was to end both, as I had had enough of their shocking and abismal service from start to finish. They would not listen to me before, and here they are now trying to keep me in contract, and do all they can to save a customer. We were half an hour on the phone, I kept my cool as I usually do, and so did Claire, until the final moments, when Claire said, " If you want to end the contract, there will be an usual nominal charge of £1.50 placed on your final bill !" Claire went on to ask whom I was choosing for my next provider, to which I declined to tell her. CLAIRE THEN SAID, " IF THAT IS THE CASE, I SHALL HAVE TO CHARGE TO YOU A FURTHER £30.00 FOR 'OUT OF CONTRACT, CANCELLATION." and that is where the dispute started. I informed Claire that this was not mentioned to me iat commencement of the contract, which took place via telephone, (which was tape recorded , and retained ,which I still hold today)and neither did bt follow through with a paper contract. Claire would not accept this, and said they would have sent me a paper contract. I certainly did not receive one. I am meticulous in keeping and filing ALL paper documentation which I still hold today, dating back 20 plus years. I invited Claire to send me a copy of any such paper contract sent me, and which had my signature on it. As for the tape recording of the contract I can produce that today, which is clearly audible and unaduterated in any shape or form. I am following through, by sending my notice of end of contract, together with a complaint to bt at the following address:- BT Correspondence Centre, (Providence Row, Durham, DH 98 1 BT). Should bt bill me for this "RIP OFF", then there is only one way to deal with "RIP OFF MERCHANTS SUCH AS THESE, UNDER THE DIRECTORSHIP OF WARREN BUCKLEY.........and that is STOP YOUR DIRECT DEBIT WITH YOUR BANK - NOW ! DON'T WAIT ! Then bt can send you your final bill and chase you for the £30.00 'Rip Off fee.' I can assure you that County Court Judges are also aware AND UP TO these "RIP OFF MERCHANTS" Who attempt the David & Goliath tactics. You will find the Judges are very much on your side . Besides, contact your local news paper and give them the details of your case. Sometimes if they receive many complaints of this nature, they normally will pass it on to their National Sister or Parent newspaper. Get it pubished 'Nationally'. Push as much as you can for publicity. MESSAGE TO ALL BROADBAND USERS - STAY CLEAR OF BT. MESSAGE TO TELEVISION VIEWERS CHOOSING A PROVIDER.....DO NOT BE FOOLED BY THEIR LATEST 'STRIKING ADVERTS' ON TELEVISION, IT WILL BE THE BIGGEST MISTAKE YOU WILL HAVE EVER MADE, AND THE SORRIEST DAY OF YOUR LIFE. It sounds very cheap - first 6 months free etcetera but by God you will pay for it after that, a very heavy price, far in excess of Sky, Virgin and others. AS FOR BT (BRITISH TELECOM) I say "GOD FORGIVE THEM - I WON'T ! AND NEITHER SHOULD YOU. SPREAD THE WORD, LET YOUR FRIENDS KNOW, THOSE WHO CAN AFFORD A FEW POUNDS, GET SOME LEAFLETS PRINTED, AND POST THEM IN YOUR COMMUNITY.....AND ABOVE ALL, LET MONEY SUPERMARKET KNOW, SO THAT THOSE ON THE INTERNET WILL BE ABLE TO READ ALL ABOUT THEM. BT IS A RIP OFF MERCHANT, AND IT IS UP TO YOU TO GET THEM OFF THE 'MAP'. jOIN IN THE FIGHT AND DO IT NOW ! THANK YOU FOR READING THIS INFORMATION, i HOPE IT HAS BEEN WORTH WHILE IN DISCOVERING THE TRUTH. DO HAVE A NICE DAY.

•  Sat, Oct 15 2011, 1:53 PM

hello

regarding the charge to activate the line, I moved house, gave BT the required notice i left them no problems there.

I had sky broadband and TV at previous address. New address had no,line. It took about 4 weesk for sky to arrange line activation (as i moved my phone with them) but it was all free (unless you missed the BT engineer, in which case you get charged 125 for second visit). It was annoying to wait with no phone or internet for 4 weeks, but my iphone and call18866 number for mobile (cheap 0845/0800 calls for mobiles) saved my life during those weeks;

Broadband Speed is great (as it always was with sky) and phone works much better then before, happy customer; and entire move of services with sky was free of charge, with polite calls and text reminders about essential dates (like when Bt engineer was coming). My box didn't work in the new place, but the sky instalation technician had a spare in the van, and got changed after 1 phonecall to sky he made, again free of charge. faultless service overall at a time a great stress (moving house). Must be a reason why sky is a popular company

• Post Points: 35
  •  Sat, Oct 15 2011, 7:14 AM

BT is a nightmare to deal with:

I signed up in June 2010 for a 12 month contact: landline, broadband and BT vision paid £50 for bt vision box

received the equipment some days later, got them connected, service and speed was crap.

i called them several times to cancel the bt vision only, as they never advised that i needed an aerial to actually get live TV all though i did tell them when i signed up that i didn't have one (i know it sounds unbelievable but i lived at a conservation building at the time, no aerial was allowed on the roof!). The wanted to charge me the whole year fees for something that i couldn't use. I returned the box and asked for a refund.

Finally in october 2010 they accepted their mistake. finally refunded the £50 in May 2011! More than 10-15 calls up to an hour to get that sorted.

I called up in May 2011 to give notice to cancel the service in June 2011 as i was moving house. I was told that there would be cancellation charges up until october when my contract expired! Remember i signed up in june 2010 not in october. They kept telling me that I was on an 18 month contract... i argued and argued till finally someone accepted it was a 12 month contact and that there won't be any charges. I specifically told them to cancel the service by the 15th for june which was my move out date. 5-6 calls to get that sorted

I moved, thought everything was fine, went on holiday abroad from the 25th of june till the 17th of july.

5th of october i get a call for a debt collection agency asking for £80 on behalf of bt.

They never cancelled the line when i asked them to. they kept the line working for another month, someone else moved in started making calls to australia. They charged me a bogus £30 for cessation of the broadband and another £27.45 cancellation charges + plus the calls to australia. I argue and argue 4 calls later after hanging up on me, refusing to speak to me because as it was !! "OUT OF THEIR HANDS AND I SHOULD CONTACT THE DEBT COLLECTION AGENCY INSTEAD"!! i finally get through to someone in India who admitted that i was on a 12 month contract and the charges and calls would be waived. I asked for a call back from a manager, which that never happened. The debt collection agency is still chasing me. I called up yesterday 13 of october, spoke to india again... guess what? I am on an 18 month contract again. I gave notice to cancel on the 12 of July (while i was out of the country) and they had no record of a cancellation request in May. they contract was cancelled on the 26th of July.

the manager of the Indian CS said that the previous guy was wrong, charges will not be waived. I asked him to explain why the cancellation charges were £27.45? he said its £4.99 charge per month till december (LIES 4.99 x 6 = £29) their TCs state its £8.50 so its should have been more. My guess is that they are charging me again till october £8.50 x 3 months.

I just want to pull my hair off my head, the lie lie and lie, they are clueless and every time you speak to some different you get a different answer.

Believe i can afford the £67 pounds but i will not give them a penny. I will never ever use BT again, I hope they go bust.
  •  Wed, Sep 22 2010, 11:42 AM

Hi If I had seen the amount of complaints against BT I would never have gone with them I have just signed up for an 18 month contract They told me I could keep my existing email address (lies) they advertise up to 10Mb speed (lies) My speed is HALF a MB!!!!! When I spoke to an operative they said. Yes you can cancel but there will be a charge of OVER £300-00. I have contacted OFCOM they state that new rules coming into force next month will bring the cancellation charges down But this does not help me with 1/2Mb and a lost email address.I cannot put the down the words I want to when refering to BT.....
    chuan:The roling contract scheme came into play in 2008.

I have cancelled BT to go to Virgin Media in Aug, but BT notified me on Aug 16 that as I was leaving when I am still in Contract which was automatically renewed in July 2010, I have to pay a cancellation fee. They adviced that a end of contract notice was sent 30days prior in June 2010. (which I have never seen).

I wrote to refute stating that I have not agreed to sign for this contrct in 2008, have not agreed to renew in 2009, nor in 2010.

I was not aware of such a contract.

BT's response :
    1. In my Bill, it is clearly printed the type of contract (Free Evening & Weekend, Automatically Renewalable Contract). So it's my fault for not reading my bill.

2. BT does not have any proof of delivery of the 30 day notice but they do not need to.

3. I had the chance to stop the cancellation when I received the 16 aug 2010 letter but did not. So it's my choice to leave with the understanding of a cancellation fee payable.

I rang BT this morning with the following response:

1. In the bill no start date or end of contract dates were printed.
    2. Since there was no proof of delivery of notice, either by email or letter and nothing printed on my bill, How am I to know when my contract was due.
    3. Please provide the contract BT claimed I agreed to in 2008. BT said there is no written agreement.

No matter what I said, the call center staff refuse to accept the fact that an agreement needs the consent of 2 or more parties. In this case, I was never made aware of the 'contract' Have not agreed to be bound by it, but the main thing is I have never received any notice warning me of the end of my contract.

This contract is essentially one-sided!

I urge all of you who are affected by this to cancel your direct debit immediately at least they will have to chase you for payment and not you for the refund.

Please make a complain to OfCOM at 020 7981 3040.

Please also email BBC Panorama at panorama.reply@bbc.co.uk
    asking them to investigate.

Twit, Blog and email all your friends warning them of such dishonest practise. spread the word.

Please if there are any lawyers out that. Please advice.
  •  Sat, Sep 04 2010, 8:54 PM

The roling contract scheme came into play in 2008.

I have cancelled BT to go to Virgin Media in Aug, but BT notified me on Aug 16 that as I was leaving when I am still in Contract which was automatically renewed in July 2010, I have to pay a cancellation fee. They adviced that a end of contract notice was sent 30days prior in June 2010. (which I have never seen).

I wrote to refute stating that I have not agreed to sign for this contrct in 2008, have not agreed to renew in 2009, nor in 2010.

I was not aware of such a contract.

BT's response :
    1. In my Bill, it is clearly printed the type of contract (Free Evening & Weekend, Automatically Renewalable Contract). So it's my fault for not reading my bill.

2. BT does not have any proof of delivery of the 30 day notice but they do not need to.

3. I had the chance to stop the cancellation when I received the 16 aug 2010 letter but did not. So it's my choice to leave with the understanding of a cancellation fee payable.

I rang BT this morning with the following response:

1. In the bill no start date or end of contract dates were printed.
    2. Since there was no proof of delivery of notice, either by email or letter and nothing printed on my bill, How am I to know when my contract was due.
    3. Please provide the contract BT claimed I agreed to in 2008. BT said there is no written agreement.

No matter what I said, the call center staff refuse to accept the fact that an agreement needs the consent of 2 or more parties. In this case, I was never made aware of the 'contract' Have not agreed to be bound by it, but the main thing is I have never received any notice warning me of the end of my contract.

This contract is essentially one-sided!

I urge all of you who are affected by this to cancel your direct debit immediately at least they will have to chase you for payment and not you for the refund.

Please make a complain to OfCOM at 020 7981 3040.

Please also email BBC Panorama at panorama.reply@bbc.co.uk
    asking them to investigate.

Twit, Blog and email all your friends warning them of such dishonest practise. spread the word.

Please if there are any lawyers out that. Please advice.
  •  Fri, May 22 2009, 3:49 PM

I recently cancelled with bt and they attempted to slap a suprise 43 pound fee on me (not mentioned at time of cancellation) So I rang and informed them that they had been less than up front and after holding for around 10 mins, the fee had been removed.

You've gotta be a chancer with these chancers!!

My advise is call them and give it a go.

•  Thu, Apr 23 2009, 10:23 PM

after spending 30mins on the phone to bt saying that i wasn't going to pay any cancellation charges because i was mislead on actual broadband speeds, they finally caved in and agreed to waiver any charges but my advice is if you want high speed broadband stick with cable broadband from virgin or if your a heavy user get 50mb from virgin on fibre optic thats what im going for....
  •  Thu, Apr 23 2009, 2:14 PM

well hello forum, flipping heck reading this forum just fits in with my hell of atime with bt, i signed up for bt total broadband only yesterday, oohhh speeds up to 8mb ye right, well after having everything installed i did 6 tests at various times of day and got readings of 1.2mb download and 376kb upload, it turns out i'm 3.2 miles from exchange, i lagged out on my first evening of xbox live with my buddies and ended up leaving the game and switched off after it had happened 3 times. i rang bt today to cancel and was asked why i wanted to cancel i said the speeds are rubbish compared to my previous virgin media. she then said you should have been told the speeds of your line at time of ordering, so i said how would the bt person know my speed when the line isnt even in yet, they just sell the product. i said to her their must be a cooling off period, no she replied, well i said cancel the broadband and telephone line cause i aint using it, i said to her the engineer had to put a whole new line in so how could anyone from bt have possibily know the true speed of my line. she said then to cancel would cost me up to £400 as i would be charged for the line and broadband package, so i said well cancel it and when i get the final demandc i'll write to them explaining whats gone on. i'm disabled and my main form of enjoyment is xbox with my friends, i cant even enjoy that with bt, oh and i paid them a £50 deposit as well before they would install anything.. anybody with any ideas on how i deal with this and bt please let me know, i have gone back to virgin on cable a far better service... as far as i'm concerned bt broadband at any speed is crap..... avoid bt thank goodness for virgin media a company which serves it's customers well....
Page 1 of 2 (30 items)   1 2 Next >