home
in

BT Broadband -very poor performance

Last post Thu, Jan 08 2009, 9:02 AM by Jass. 10 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Thu, Jan 08 2009, 9:02 AM

Re: BT Broadband -very poor performance

I signed for BT Broadband in Nov 08 and since than I have made numereous phone calls to BT Broadband helpline. Regret to say so far I have not been able to use broadband services. They have replaced the BT Home HUB twice so far now they are sending third one. Most of the time it does not work wnd when it does connect its so slow that it takes 5 minutes to go to a web page and than message comes, sorry not able to connect to this page.

When I ordered BT broadband, they did the test and told me on my line I can get max of 6MB not 8mb and I went ahead.

Now once I spoke to BT in the hope if I can cancel it I was told that I have signed 18 months contract so I will have to pay for it before I can cancel even though they have failed to provide me with the service which they promised.

I really dont know what to do?

• Post Points: 5
  •  Wed, Jun 20 2007, 10:04 AM

On a side note, if you don't want to wait for ages for tech support to answer the phone. When it says press 2 (or whatever) for such a service. press NOTHING. after about a min it will ask you to press star twice. BINGO someone answers :)
  •  Wed, Jun 06 2007, 11:17 AM

Watch this space re: speeds is all I can say at this stage....
    • Post Points: 35
  •  Wed, Jun 06 2007, 10:15 AM

Darkstar: Jason Lloyd – what about a survey allowing users to register the line speed that Sam Knows says they should be getting compared to actual line speed.  I bet 2 camels and a kidney that there is a story in there worthy of Watchdog! I see you as a Lynn Faulds Wood character :-)

Samknows and also the phone number search on BT's site are merely guides. You may not know but the speed of your ADSL connection depends on many factors such as the length of the phoneline to your house and there are also environmental factors such as weather. ADSL can be affected by high moisture content in the soil believe it or not. The list of factors which could influence ADSL is almost endless. As long as when you call up BT or go onto their site that they don't promise you this speed then they're not doing anything wrong :)

• Post Points: 20
  •  Wed, Jun 06 2007, 9:56 AM

Deeman

I have had exactly the same issue. I collated 2 months of speed test stats on my BT line speed package. Although I am on the ADSL Max product and my line should have been getting 4-5 mbps, I was only averaging 0.5mbps. The fastest speed over this time was 2.1 mbps over a 2-day period.

I complained to BT at the same time going through the tech support via the instant messenger utility. Miraculously, during the support session, my speed jumped to 1.4 mbps where it has been for a week or so.… The Indian call centre denied changing anything – yeah right!!! Course you didn’t.... coincidences always happen like that!!

In the meantime BTW, I await a response from BT with regard to my complaint – come on BT, stop building ‘Berlin Walls’ to hide behind.

I performed another speed test last night at midnight, and my line speed was 3.6mbps so I will keep monitoring it - watch this space.

I use thinkbroadband.com / speedtest/html to perform speed tests, which allows me to store my results and download a CSV file of the results, but also corroborates the results from BT’s own speed utility results.

Jason Lloyd – what about a survey allowing users to register the line speed that Sam Knows says they should be getting compared to actual line speed.  I bet 2 camels and a kidney that there is a story in there worthy of Watchdog! I see you as a Lynn Faulds Wood character :-)

• Post Points: 50
  •  Wed, Jun 06 2007, 9:21 AM

Re: BT Broadband -very poor performance - result!

Hello

Just posted my nightmare experience with BT, BUT, taking advice from an earlier post I phoned India again (grrr) and insisted on talking to the UK IT team.  After a horrible wait, I was put through to Dublin.  The guy there talked me through disconnecting my router and re-connecting, and BINGO!  Speed are up to 50 as we speak and still rising.  So the moral of the story is - insist on talking to the UK team - the entire conversation lasted 10 mins, as opposed to 1.5 hours last night to India.

Brilliant. 

•  Wed, Jun 06 2007, 9:08 AM

Re: BT Broadband -very poor performance - don't go with BT

JaneLesley:

Hi

I have been with BT Broadband for over 18 months and 6 months ago my download speeds became really slow - 1.2k - 10k, with a maximum of 19k if I was lucky.  I have now had the misfortune of wasting at least 3 hours with the call centre in India who didn't seem to know what I was talking about - to the point where they said I had to unscrew my telephone box on the wall, otherwise it would cost £114 plus VAT to send someone out to try and solve the problem. In addition, my bt internet email address has suddenly been targeted with loads of spam - email correspondence with the helpdesk resulted in a patronising list of things to do to set my filters, when the real problem is the system filters have been subverted.  Then I received an email saying I had exceeded my download limit and they would charge me if I did it again - I wasn't even aware that I had a download limit.

In summary, BT's customer service is appalling - every time I contact them the issue I raise is unresolved and I feel that they work from a script and if you don't fit their script then they are totally uninterested. I am now looking for an ISP with a customer service dept in this country.  Anyone got a recommendation?

Perhaps it's just me but I'd check that someone else isn't using your wireless connection if you do have a wireless connection. Someone may be using your wireless connection and therefore your broadband and that may be why it's slow and why you've gone over your quote

If this is not the issue my advice is just to call BT (not BT Broadband) and say you'd like to speak to high level broadband complaints :)

•  Wed, Jun 06 2007, 9:03 AM

Re: BT Broadband -very poor performance - don't go with BT

Hi

I have been with BT Broadband for over 18 months and 6 months ago my download speeds became really slow - 1.2k - 10k, with a maximum of 19k if I was lucky.  I have now had the misfortune of wasting at least 3 hours with the call centre in India who didn't seem to know what I was talking about - to the point where they said I had to unscrew my telephone box on the wall, otherwise it would cost £114 plus VAT to send someone out to try and solve the problem. In addition, my bt internet email address has suddenly been targeted with loads of spam - email correspondence with the helpdesk resulted in a patronising list of things to do to set my filters, when the real problem is the system filters have been subverted.  Then I received an email saying I had exceeded my download limit and they would charge me if I did it again - I wasn't even aware that I had a download limit.

In summary, BT's customer service is appalling - every time I contact them the issue I raise is unresolved and I feel that they work from a script and if you don't fit their script then they are totally uninterested. I am now looking for an ISP with a customer service dept in this country.  Anyone got a recommendation?

•  Thu, May 31 2007, 3:44 PM

deeman:

Hi,

Im new to this forum, but here's my experience:-

I recently signed up to BT Total broadband at 8mb (about 2 weeks ago). My current line is rated at 6mb, and I have been getting this rate with download rates of around 500-600kb/s. Since Friday I have been finding in the evening that I am getting extremely poor performance of around 50-60kb/s. I have tried downloading files from a number of sources but the speed is around the same. I have been to a number of sites that carry our speed tests on your broadband connection and they also confirm that the download rate is very slow and rates my connection at between 0.3 and 0.5 m/b. I phoned up BT yesterday but the gentleman I spoke to tried to advise me that my line was fine, despite their own speed test indicating to the contrary and that the transfer rates (i.e. kb/s) vary on the size of the file?. I pointed out that I work in IT ANDthis was in fact not correct and even proved my point by downloading 2 files of significantly different size. The resultant transfer rate was much the same, around 50kb/s. I am fully aware that due to the contentiion ratio of 50:1 on residential broadband optimal performance will often not be achieved during busy periods like the evenings, however I have never know it to be this significant with any other service provider. At peak times my broadband is operating at around at less than 1/10th of its optimal rate. I dont know what the cooling off period is on these contracts and, surprise surprise, there is no information on their website. What worries me even further is that I have recently signed up for BT Vision which uses the broadband for its on demand content.How on earth is it going to operate satisfactorily if I can even acheive a 1mb rate????

One thing I am beginning to notice is that consumers aren't that well protected at all, and that people like BT can do what the hell they like with little comeback. Clearly if BT cant provide a consistent service anywhere near to the figure I was quoted then I should be able to get out of my contract and look elsewhere.

Try testing on the speedtest.net site at various times of the day and see whether things are a bit different depending on the time of day. I have had slowdowns a few times with BT but the speed of the line generally bounces back. If it continues then call BT on their general line and make a complaint and state that you DO NOT want to talk to someone from India. If you get no joy with this then ask for the phone number for the BT Broadband high level complaints department. I went through them and it got sorted thankfully.

• Post Points: 35
  •  Tue, May 22 2007, 6:31 PM

Been with BT Broadband for Business for over a year now and had no problem whatsoever. Being a small business our broadband is critical to us as we have three servers that require to be 24 x 7 accessile for our staff and clients. Although there is going to be a FUP (Fair Usage Policy) with every ISP, business should be given better service and this is where the consumer needs to be realistic about what they pay for and what they get.

If you are contracted to get 8Mbit and you are CONSISTENTLY getting less than this, the ISP is in breach of contract and there is legal redress for you. I am sorry but your contention that "... consumers aren't well protected ..." is not a valid statement. We have a lot of protection in the UK it is just that most consumers do not know how to stand up for their rights and loose their tempers too quickly. You are entitled to get what you pay for. If you do not, you have the law on your side - USE IT!

If there is no valid reason for your line to be experiencing the QOS (Quality of Service) that you are getting and you are sure of your facts then demand an engineer's visit and let them see it for themselves. I did this in April 2006 when I changed location and when they arrived, they witnessed the issues and fixed the problem. They ALWAYS state that if they do not find a fault there may be a charge incurred, but I stood my ground and sure enough all is still good today.

Don't be disheartened - be realistic, clinical and accurate and you will be on the strong side of any argument.

SHARK!

•  Tue, May 22 2007, 1:30 PM

BT Broadband -very poor performance

Hi,

Im new to this forum, but here's my experience:-

I recently signed up to BT Total broadband at 8mb (about 2 weeks ago). My current line is rated at 6mb, and I have been getting this rate with download rates of around 500-600kb/s. Since Friday I have been finding in the evening that I am getting extremely poor performance of around 50-60kb/s. I have tried downloading files from a number of sources but the speed is around the same. I have been to a number of sites that carry our speed tests on your broadband connection and they also confirm that the download rate is very slow and rates my connection at between 0.3 and 0.5 m/b. I phoned up BT yesterday but the gentleman I spoke to tried to advise me that my line was fine, despite their own speed test indicating to the contrary and that the transfer rates (i.e. kb/s) vary on the size of the file?. I pointed out that I work in IT ANDthis was in fact not correct and even proved my point by downloading 2 files of significantly different size. The resultant transfer rate was much the same, around 50kb/s. I am fully aware that due to the contentiion ratio of 50:1 on residential broadband optimal performance will often not be achieved during busy periods like the evenings, however I have never know it to be this significant with any other service provider. At peak times my broadband is operating at around at less than 1/10th of its optimal rate. I dont know what the cooling off period is on these contracts and, surprise surprise, there is no information on their website. What worries me even further is that I have recently signed up for BT Vision which uses the broadband for its on demand content.How on earth is it going to operate satisfactorily if I can even acheive a 1mb rate????

One thing I am beginning to notice is that consumers aren't that well protected at all, and that people like BT can do what the hell they like with little comeback. Clearly if BT cant provide a consistent service anywhere near to the figure I was quoted then I should be able to get out of my contract and look elsewhere.

• Post Points: 65