I took out third party fire and theft through a broker that I have been using for the last three years. I renewed my insurance this year and due to postal problems did not recieve my proposal to sign and sent back. Mybroker was able to let me know this so I had the proposal form email to me so that I could send this back in. The fastest method was adviced to print the forms check and amend any details and fax these back to the the broker. I do not have a fax machine so went to a inetrnet cafe where I could sent a fax. Due to security problems with the customer machines I was unable to log into my email on their machines so I forwarded the email to one of the staff members, who printed the documents for me which I signed as the fax number was an 0845 the staff member advised it would be cheaper if I could just scan the sgned copies and email them back to the broker I called the broker to find out is this was a valid option, and they agreed that I could do this.
The staff member was able to print these documents for me and then scan them once I had made any amendmends and signed the papers. I asked for them to ne sent to my broker which he advised he woudl do I called the broker to get a confirmation and was adviced not to worry and if there was any problems I would be contacted. I heard nothing after this from the broker almost two moths later I have had a minor accident while driving. Thankfully no one was hurt seriously.
I gave the person that was involved with my details and as she was much younger than I made sure she was ok and adviced her to call me once she gets home so we can exchange details. I tried calling her for details and kept going through to her voicemail. after leaving various messages on her phone she eventually called me advicing me that she had been in hospital and had been treated for concussion. We exchanged details and I called my broker. To pass on the information I gave my details to the person and was advsied someone would call me back to discuss the accident. My phone battery died that day and I when I was able to switch my phone on found a vm from the brokers advising to call in to discuss my accident. I called back and gave all the details to them. I was asked for my insurance details which I did not have at hand but would have expected the broker to have these. The person adviced that they worked from a different system and I should call them back with the details but was advised that they can give me a refernce number which I needed to give to my insurance. I asked if they could email me all the information and was adviced it would not be a problem. I waited for my this email and nothing came.
I recieved a call asking me to call again to give insurance details. I immediatley called back and advised I was awaiting the email with all details so I could take the next steps. I was advised due to a typing error they had the incorrect email address and they would now forward the details again to me. I was told that the accident was my fault and that I was do arrange for my own repairs they advised they still needed me to confirm who my insurance was with I asked at that point hwy they needed me to confirm something when I took insurance with them and was advised they were actually not the broker but worked on behalf of the brokerand took all details of accidents to logf for the broker. I was a little shocked as to why a company would employ a third party to take my accident details. I advised the agent that I had no injury so did not want to be contacted by any other third party to discuss any injury claims. They advise dtehy do not do this, they did take responsibility to find out who my broker was and call me back with these information.
I was adviced the following working day who my insurance was and to contact them. Duringt this time I paid for the repair work that needed to be done to my car and sold my car as even with the repair work I was not happy with the car and it could not be restored to its originall condition. I called my broker again to find out if I could cancel the remaining period of my cover or what would be the process if I wanted to continue the the cover on a different car.
The lady at the brokers at first asked me why I had not reported teh accident to them I advised I had called them and notified them and was in the process of getting in touch with my insurance. I was then advised that I had not send of my proposal so therefore my insurance would not cover my accident as I had not send my proposal off. I advised I had sent this back to them Thw lady could not find the email that had been sent with the signed proposal. I coudl not believe what I was hearing ad my have lost my temper trying to explain how I made sure that these were sent and even called to get this confirmed that they had recieved this and was advised taht if anything new came up from the proposal they would be in touch and as I heard nothing expected everything was in order. She has asked to confirm the email address from which the email was sent I gave my email address but adviced it would have been sent from the internet cafe so may well be from a different email address. I was advised to check which email adddress this coudl have been sent from and get back in touch.
I went back to the internet cafe and after investigating all emails they have sent on that day could not find email to insurance, however we did find email with the signed proposal sent to my email address. The staff memebre instead of sending it the email address I gave sent it back to my email, which I knew nothing about.
Im totally confused and scared now knowing that the broker has not recieved the proposal, please someone advise me does this mean I was not insured therefore meaning I would have not only have to pay for any damages/injury caused to teh third but also I would incur further fines and points on my licence for being uninsured. This was never my intention and had I known that they ha not recieved my proposal I would have resent these again I have a signed copy of the proposal from the date that I have spoken to the broker originally requesting to email signed copy of proposal. Does teh broker have no responsibility in gettng back to me if tehy have not recieved teh propsal. Why if the propsal has not been accepte have they kept hold of my money and not informed me of any cancellation. If I do have to pay out for teh repair and injury as well as hired car for third party and unable to afford amount they claim for ehat happens then.
I have paid for the full cover upfront by borrowing of friend and family.
Please please help me as I just cant think straight. I am currently trying to apply for a new job that would need me to have a clean licence and if I do get penalised for this I would not be able to apply for this job at all Please advice