home
in

British Gas v Scottish Power

Last post Tue, Oct 16 2007, 9:39 PM by Lynchy. 12 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Tue, Oct 16 2007, 9:39 PM

Re: British Gas v Scottish Power

Having just posted a very angry message re bank charges i now feel i should post something positive.

I started this post when british gas cold called and tried to get me to change, after cancelling the verbal agreement i am glad i stayed with scottish power

I switched to SP online energy saver 4, the last two months I have submitted my own actual online readings (i put a reminder in my diary) last month I was 30 in credit and I pay 106.50 per month. This month I have had my heating and fire on a lot and expected to be in debit but on submission of my readings i am still £60  in credit. I phoned them to ask to reduce my payments and they agreed no queries, so now I only pay £83.50, less than what BG said they could save me.

Hurray for SP and online acc management am one happy customer.  

• Post Points: 5
  •  Mon, Oct 15 2007, 11:48 AM

I'm sorry for you. It is just the easy answer to say the computer or our new billing system is wrong. I for one would not go back to British Gas under any circumstances. I'm still waiting replies to letters sent months ago, as well as e mails and phone calls.
    • Post Points: 20
  •  Thu, Oct 04 2007, 9:51 PM

Heya,

Well I must be honest with you. It is completeley unacceptable at the moment for many a customer. Regarding any Meter readings or meter details, now instead of two suppliers getting in contact with each other (the simpler way) we now must send our information to an independant body who will send it to the new supplier, who will then tell them if it is okay and then tell us. I think this is such a stupid idea and it does cause so many more problems. I beleive that BG should have a safety net placed in to stop this however, or atleast have talks with the companies to see what is wrong.

I do completely agree, I have no idea why i actually said that. TIme actually does fly in. The computer issues are few and far between now that I don't think we can blame them anymore. At the end of the day it is down to poor communication from ourselves and really we should have prioritised certain cases.

Also might take that advice ;-)

Regards,

Mike

•  Wed, Oct 03 2007, 10:28 AM

Hi Mick, At least you are honest and came clean about working for British Gas. My sons problem was even worse.He switched over to British Gas for his electricity. Provided them with a meter reading. Paid them money each month and followed the same steps as me. Guess what, when the bill did arrive after much chasing, they had ignored all the information he had given them and produced a random bill!! It did turn out that my son has a flat and they read next doors meter, they are altogether in a cupboard. All clearly marked. When my son pointed out what was wrong they refused to believe him! He has in the end gone back to his previous supplier who have contacted BG to explain which meter belongs to my sons flat and the final meter reading with them. They still did not believe it! By the way Mick, all these calls are at our expense charged at some high rate to sort BG problems out.

Billing system. Come on Mick. BG have no doubt paid a fortune for their new billing system! No doubt the supplier did extensive tests and no doubt BG did so before they went live. If BG did not check the supplier had not done tests, BG should have done before using the system in a live situation. Someone, or more likely a number of people should be sacked. I can work a bill out in a minute using pen, paper and calculator. BG needs 15 months and several thousand people! They have hidden behind the new computer problem for long enough.

I feel sorry for anyone working for them, they are just a big joke. It won't be so funny when enough customers move away and they can't pay your wages any more! I would start looking. Good luck in the interviews. Kevin

•  Wed, Oct 03 2007, 10:08 AM

Hi kev2006n,

Sorry that I misread the post. I understand now how badly you have been treated and it is indeed shocking how the company has treated you. Sorry that I came on a bit strong, really just the way I saw it at the time. I probably should lie, however telling the truth I do indeed work for them. As a Customer Service point of view, the way you have been treated is unacceptable and all letters received should automatically be logged and read. In our office we have a team to deal with all of the Correspondance received and also I do it at quieter times and we do receive a lot.

Jason,

I must reject what I said previously. I had no idea that complaints were in at this high. It is rather a high figure which if we got our finger out would decrease very easily.

If anybody has any Q's relating to BG then message me (if possible on this board) and I hopefully could give any information that I have that could help with a present situation, as I must be honest. Some information handed out is incorrect.

Regards

Mick

•  Wed, Oct 03 2007, 9:27 AM

NorthernM:

Sorry but I must say that whilst British Gas get the most complaints, they are by far the largest energy company in the UK in terms of customers. They have one of the largest billing systems in the world and ofcourse they are going to have billing issues. What company doesn't have errors to a small percentage of customers. At this time perhaps the percentage is a little highter due to the installtion of new systems, however they are decreasing. 

see

http://www.

energywatch.org.uk/

help_and_advice/

supplier_performance/

not just a little higher per 100,000 customers, over twice as many per 100,000 customers as the next worst.

JS

•  Wed, Oct 03 2007, 9:07 AM

Hi Northern M,

I think you misread my previous post. I didn't get a bill for 15 months! However, I did pay money every month without fail. I also supplied meter reading every month in the vague hope of getting a bill. I knew where I was with the electricity I had used. They never did. At least I am in a position to pay my bills. When they did eventually produce a bill, they had the wrong start reading, the wrong useage etc etc. I yet again contacted them to correct their mistake. The person would not listen. I gave up as I was in pocket. I wrote, by recorded delivery and have never had a reply. They may be the largest power supplier in the country. However, it does not give them the right to treat customers badly. I have written time and time again to complain, spent hours on the telephone to speak to someone, first tier that answer the telephone are of no use. Believe it or not Mick, my life is worth more than trying to deal with British Gas. Lets hope you never have problems with BG, when you do, you will remember you have been warned. I am not a continual moaner, as I am happy with my current suppliers, Ebico for gas and Scottish Power for electricity. You should make a note and when things go wrong well... you will know where to go. I am not an expert, just hacked off with British Gas and the rudest staff in the UK... or does someone know staff that are even ruder? Mick, by any chance do you work for BG? Kevin 

•  Wed, Oct 03 2007, 1:09 AM

Sorry but I must say that whilst British Gas get the most complaints, they are by far the largest energy company in the UK in terms of customers. They have one of the largest billing systems in the world and ofcourse they are going to have billing issues. What company doesn't have errors to a small percentage of customers. At this time perhaps the percentage is a little highter due to the installtion of new systems, however they are decreasing.

Responding to Kevin above, you must understand that I am going to be fully honest here. Nothing against yourself, however you knew that you were using gas/electricity so you must have wondered who was supplying you. And sorry but if you knew that you were using it, you could have made payments on to an account. I assume that you were not making payments on the account, if you were I apologise however even though there was no bill, there was still ways to pay.

I'm not having a go and I apologise if it appears that way however I this happened to my friend and when he was left with a large bill he was cursing his supplier, however he could have very easily paid something towards his account.

Also as the customer service goes with BG I cannot really comment as have only ever called regarding one or two enquiries, however whenever I have called the agents have always been pleasant and would do anything to help you. It could just be bad luck to get someone having a bad day... it happens to us all.

Regards,

Mick

• Post Points: 35
  •  Sat, Sep 29 2007, 1:08 AM

I would never go to British Gas again. It took nearly 15 months to get a bill. I supplied meter readings every month. Never actioned any. They claimed I had never given any to them. No one at Brisish Gas can have gone on a Customer Service course. If they did, they must all have failed, badly! They have to be the rudest staff at any call cente! When I got the bill I moved away to Scottish Power. Have to admit they seem a lot better.Just got my first bill after 3 months. Kevin
  •  Sat, Sep 29 2007, 12:30 AM

Hi

Scottish Power has been cheaper than british gas for the average consumption for the past 5 years - sometimes it can all get very confusing with companies saying that they can save money but the best way to see is to compare the actual unit rates.  Scottish power has a new online package called online energy saver 4 which is excellent - the unit rates on electricity are very low and you can manage your account online - you can put in meter readings as often as you want (i do it every month) and the system calculates a bill from your last meter reading so you always know how much you have spent - also british gas customer service is the worst in the industry - they get the most complaints to energywatch.  If you are with british gas just now, it is easy to change back, just call SP and they would deal with your transfer back

•  Mon, Sep 10 2007, 9:58 PM

Thanks for that. As soon as the salesman left my gut instinct told me I shouldn't have agreed. But I have only entered into a verbal contract on the phone, not signed anything yet and I know I can cancel when I receive the paperwork. I have just done a price comparison and found that they are near the top and I am happy with the service so am going to stick.

•  Mon, Sep 10 2007, 9:51 PM

1. don't switch until you understand all the different packages and prices.

2. Scottish Power are at or towards the top of the best value comparisons.

3. British Gas are the most complained about company according to EnergyWatch.

Do I need to go on?

JS

•  Mon, Sep 10 2007, 9:31 PM

British Gas v Scottish Power

I am currently with Scottish Power and am very happy with the service received. Regular meter readings, direct debits adjusted every three months, so I  am currently £100 in credit. Today British Gas came round to persuade me to switch with their £40 cashback offer.  I agreed but then instanly felt I should do some research before signing (I have 7 days to cancel)

I am on scottish power premier plus package but have changed it to online standard (no standing charge)

I don't know whether switching is the right thing to do as I just don't understand all the different packages and prices.

Help anyone.  

• Post Points: 50