home
in

Basic bank account with cheque book

Last post Fri, Nov 04 2011, 11:18 AM by Barking_Mad. 8 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Fri, Nov 04 2011, 11:18 AM

Re: Basic bank account with cheque book

Skywalker:And while you give us the 'disabled' smoke screen, you very conveniently forget to mention that it was your overspending irresponsible lifestyle that lead you into this mess. Why would any bank give you the facilities you want, when very clearly you have had this in the past and abused it.

I know it's a bit late to be replying to this post, but I've only just come across the site by accident while searching for something else. I just wanted to point out to 'Skywalker' that if he wishes us to believe that he is such a superior being he should first learn to spell such simple words as 'Led' !

• Post Points: 5
  •  Wed, Nov 18 2009, 4:11 PM

Hi, both myself and my wife are on benefits, we are carers for our dissabled children and I am also dissabled. All of our money gets paid into our bank account with Abbey, we have a current account. If your credit history is ok then it does not matter weather you are on benefits or not......in fact it is sometimes seen as a benefit in it's self because it is guenteed payment. Hope this helps...................and for those who presume that you must be scroungers because your on benefits just ignore them and good luck.
    • Post Points: 35
  •  Fri, Oct 09 2009, 3:00 PM

Another option is to join a local credit union, many of which offer basic banking services, including cheque books. You can search for a local one at www.abcul.org .
  •  Mon, Jan 12 2009, 4:46 PM

With a less than sympathetic response ...let me guess..erm you work in a bank or financial sector ! Lets hope that fate doesn't deal you a bad card and you end up disabled.

If i was you ...which thank god im not!..i wouldn't go judging someones credit history on the fact they led a thrilling rollercoaster of spending when people often find themselves in a situation through no fault of their own and clearly the couple in question did so in the end with disability income low in comparison to a monthly income from employment it is without doubt that in the end you would end up in debt.

It is also true that financial institutions are always willing to lend you amounts but not inform you of the pitfalls if you do find yourself becoming ill and unable to pay back loans. It is the banks responsibility to make sure people do not spend above their means and have in place proper measures where people if in trouble or become ill, disabled or long term illness to have the support and advise that is needed from a bank..it is ironic that when banks fall into debt they are bailed out by other financial institutions and even the governement yet the people have to suffer in silence. Mmm strange don't you think ?

•  Sat, Oct 18 2008, 1:54 PM

Norwich and Peterborough Building Society do a basic account with a cheque book.

www.npbs.co.uk

they are quite nice to deal with as well. You dont get a debit card or guarantee card but you do get a cheque book.

•  Sun, Oct 12 2008, 1:08 PM

I didnt intend giving anyone a "disabled "smoke sreen,and we didnt lead an irresponsible lifestyle or abuse and facilities we were given, i became ill, simple as that, and not only did it it change our lifestyle it changed the way people peceive you,i didnt come on here looking for sympathy ,we are now on a very tight budget and im looking for ways to save a few pounds,we dont drink or smoke have holidays etc but the money we spend on postal orders ammounts to quite a bit each month ,that is why i asked the question,i only came across the site by accident and thought someone might be able to help,i dont use forums but my understanding is they are there to help.I have found recently that most companies will only except payments of £5 or more when using a debit card so a cheque book would come in handy. We had a Halifax High Interest Current Account in which our salaries were paid into,with this account a min £1000 deposit is required each month,we also had a savings account with them. When my MS got to the stage i could no longer work we decided my husband would become my 24/7 carer, he had suffered a breakdown and was finding it difficult to cope outside of the home.As our salaries were no longer being paid into the account we were told we were no longer meeting the critera of that account and we would have to change to another account,it was at this point the difficulties started and we found the only account the Halifax would offer us because we were no longer working was a basic bank account,we had had no problems in the past with them ,when we tried elsewhere we were met with the same,its was all based on "no income"although my husband works 24/7 for his £50.55p week carer allawance it is a benifit and they see it as that, and frankly its peole like you that make my blood boil,you saw disabled and benifits in one sentence and your mind was made up ,lazy benifit cheats,with massive bad debt ,scum of the earth who drink and smoke all their money away.

•  Sun, Oct 12 2008, 7:40 AM

And while you give us the 'disabled' smoke screen, you very conveniently forget to mention that it was your overspending irresponsible lifestyle that lead you into this mess. Why would any bank give you the facilities you want, when very clearly you have had this in the past and abused it.
    • Post Points: 56
  •  Sun, Oct 12 2008, 4:27 AM

Unfortunately, no banks give a cheue book with a basic bank account.

if you go to http://www.moneymadeclear.fsa.gov.uk/pdfs/bank_accounts.pdf which is the FSA site it gives you a full list of banks offering basic accounts with details of debit cards, direct debits and standing orders offered.

after 6 to 12 months the bank maybe able to upgrade your account if you run it satisfactorily. A debit card should be at least as goodas a cheque book for making payments as cheques are slowly going out of use with some institutions.

I hope this helps.

•  Sun, Oct 12 2008, 12:58 AM

Basic bank account with cheque book

Im disabled and recieve various disability benifits,my husband is my 24/7 carer and all our disabilty benifits and carer allowance is paid into the Natwest Basic Account ,im trying to find a basic bank account which comes with a cheque book ,it is costing us a small fortune each month to buy postal orders to make payments ,we use standing orders and direct debits when ever we can,but most people wont let you pay by these means if the payment is small .Before my illness they were throwing money at us now they dont even trust us with a cheque book,can anyone help .I found an article refering to a basic bank account with cheque book but they wanted £39 to tell you the name of it ..
    • Post Points: 110