Back boiler replacement

Last post Thu, Jun 21 2007, 12:47 PM by shkapr54. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Thu, Jun 21 2007, 12:47 PM

    Re: Back boiler replacement


    It is unlikely that you will find any Corgi engineer who will install a secondhand boiler for you. It is against the law to sell secondhand gas equipment and I suspect that it is similarly against the law for an installer to install it. If you upgrade to a new boiler you will encounter all sorts of new regulations which will probably not apply to your existing appliance. Your best (and cheapest) bet is to get it repaired if it is not working and then get a service agreement taken out on it. If its not very efficient, you will have to save up to buy a better boiler. A condensing boiler would be best but not for installation in the hearth... they are small and unobtrusive and can be installed in any room you like.

    • Post Points: 23
  •  Thu, Jun 14 2007, 12:38 AM

    Re: Back boiler replacement

    Often these back boilers once serviced and tested by a Corgi engineer can be nearly as efficient as a new boiler, and they are probably more reliable, as they are not dependant on sophisticated electrics to control them or go wrong.

    You could have the existing one fully serviced and see how it performs, or pay to have it replaced with the one you can get that is 2 or 3 years old, Corgi engineers can replace these subject to the conditions, which it looks like you will meet, that I have found for you, and copied below.

    You were right; it seems he didn't know what he was talking about, and tried to get you to accept the option that was easier for him, in order to make more money, do not get conned, get another reputable Corgi engineer who understands the rules.

    ================ =============== ===============

    Building Regulations allow for conventional back-boilers (ie gas fires with boilers, fitted in fireplaces) to be replaced like-for-like in situations where it would be difficult to fit a new condensing boiler against an outside wall. The exemption formula is worked out on a points basis, with 1000 points being required to allow replacement with a similar back boiler. A mid-terrace house starts with a points score of 640, and a flat with 710. Moving the boiler to a different room with an outside wall (usually the kitchen) incurs another 350 points. If the property has cast-iron drainage pipes - which would be damaged by the acidic discharge from a condensing boiler - then it would be necessary to install a soakaway at ground level to accept the condensate, and this adds 100 points. Should the new boiler position require a flue longer than 2 metres, this adds another 200 points. So in many cases the 1000 points total is easily achieved, and a replacement conventional back boiler would be perfectly acceptable.

    Source article :





    • Post Points: 29
  •  Wed, Jun 13 2007, 11:39 PM

    Back boiler replacement

    Hi everyone,

    I searched through the forum and couldnt find a post with this issue.

    We are in the process of a purchase of a property which i near completion. We are aware the central heating system in the property is dated, but our budget wont be able to stretch to a new installation of boiler and rads and pipes initially.

    The current system is powered by a back boiler, which nobody knows is working due to no gas or electricity supply to the property (vacant and reposession).

    We was thinking of just initially replacing the backboiler and firefront with a more uptodate version, used, one of which we can lay our hands on being 2 maybe 3 years old. We had a gas engineer out to the property today, who didnt seem to know what he was really talking about and seemed unprofessional, but that aside, he mentioned backboiler installations no longer comply to building regs, which i was aware of, but surely if we are improving the current system and doing a replacement of the current one, it would be ok as we wont be altering the current system drastically?

    The property is a flat in a row of terraced victorian properties, so feeding a new system with a boiler on an outside wall would incur alot of work and upheavel.

    Anyone have any advice on this? We'd really much appreciate it.

    • Post Points: 59