home
in

Average 47 kwh per day! is this normal?

Last post Thu, Feb 11 2010, 2:15 PM by Twee. 14 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Thu, Feb 11 2010, 2:15 PM

Re: Average 47 kwh per day! is this normal?

Jason,

The way that you work out the rating of a piece of equipment - ie a 500 watt TV

500 / 1000 = 1/2 unit per hour - around 8p per hour

Tumble drier 2500 watts is 2500 / 1000 = 2.5 units per hour - around 40p per hour

a Fridge/Freezer (once chilled !!) costs less than 5p per hour

• Post Points: 5
  •  Thu, Feb 11 2010, 11:10 AM

JasonG:

I appreciate it may be difficult for you to pay off the Scottish Power outstanding balance, but for the benefit of others I want to restate that a balance due only to the company set Direct Debit being insufficient is not arrears and is not normally grounds for objecting to a switch.

In your case you asked Scottish Power and I believe have been given factually incorrect advice about that. The advice that your consumption was "perfectly normal" is also factually incorrect for a non-electrically heated house. Dealing with the "service" issue is of course different from dealing with your "consumption" issue.

Again for the benefit of others on fixed monthly direct debit terms, you do not need to ask your existing supplier, just choose a switch from a Consumer Focus accredited comparison website, for example Moneysupermarket. Deal with any objection when and if it happens.

Back to JasonG.

Something has happened to cause 8 years of consumption to no longer estimate accurately. I know that Scottish Power, and probably most suppliers, have systems capable of estimating accurate annual costs when fed with actual readings every 3 months. Meter error is not impossible, but very unlikely. However for your peace of mind its something to consider. An energy monitor would be a good first step as well as giving you a handle on your hour to hour consumption.

The kW rating in appliances such as tumble driers and washing machines is not hugely useful. That would be the maximum consumption but not the continuous consumption.

• Post Points: 20
  •  Thu, Feb 11 2010, 10:11 AM

Thanks for the reply, all readings have been taken by me and at a maximum of 3 months apart. The account deficit is from a 9 month period last year where they did not increase my payments from £65 despite correct readings being given.

I gave scottish power my readings over a 7 day period and was told this was perfectly normal usage. I dont have a power monitor yet, apparently scottish power dont give them out and i found that the customer advisers were not very helpfull at all. I have found out about a scheme where you can get a reduction in your bill if you are on benefits, but again the customer service were not very helpfull with the required information. I asked about changing my plan but they told me that i could not do this while i was in debit and i could not leave without paying the amount off in full. Due to my current situation i cant afford to pay the debit amount to switch suppliers. I thought that as the supplier they would be more helpfull.

With regards to the oil, i pay £104 per month including the yearly service on the system. I used to run it constantly but now it is on for 10 hours per day which has reduced my oil use but the price has gone up. I have lived in this house for 8 years and the price of oil has doubled since i moved here. Its currently at 50p per litre and i use around 2500 litres per year. I have no electric heating in this house and i have even taken the fuse out of the emersion so it can not be accidently switched on. There is always some one at home 24/7 as my wife is disabled, so with me being home i cant see it making any difference to our energy usage. From the research i have done on the net, the average large 4 bed home uses 5500kwh per year, last year i used 13000kwh. In the past 6 months i have used 9000kwh.

A friend of mine has a similar size house to me, Has far more electrical stuff on, including 2 electric heaters in his garage, a large chest freezer a large comercial fridge, an american style fridge freezer, a huge aga style electric cooker as well as tvs and a huge marine fishtank which uses high output halide lights. His bill £55 per month! so im either getting screwed by scottish power, i have a faulty meter, or he has the best deal around!

I have been trying to calculate the energy use of each appliance but i dont really know how to do this. Ive just looked at my tumble dryer which says 2200-2700 wats, is that per hour of use? Tv is rated at 500w. If some one could give me some advice on how to work this out that would be great.

Sorry for the more ramblings on but i am determined to get my bill inline with what it should be, if i can get the usage to around 35-38 that would be quite a big saving.

Thanks Jason

•  Thu, Feb 11 2010, 9:23 AM

JasonG:

This is my first look at this thread and my initial comment is that its not 100% clear that all readings have been recorded on the bill or statement as actual readings. In this respect what came of the Scottish Power suggestion that you monitored your consumption over 7 days and the suggestion of others that you obtained an energy monitor?

You have explained significant reduction measures but the consumption is still apparently 45kWhrs/day, so either estimated readings are involved or something has been missed. That is definately excessive for a non-electrically heated house. Many people with gas heating keep their house warm on that sort of consumption.

You mentioned that a £160 account deficit built up. Were (and are) you paying by monthly Direct Debit and didn't miss any payments? I ask this because if the deficit is due only to the set monthly payment being insufficient that is not usually grounds for the supplier to object to a transfer. If you have not missed payments and Scottish Power has objected you should challenge that. That said, if you switch the entire balance would be due to Scottish Power.

This last piece of advice might not be what you want to hear but you need to prepare for it. The bill for oil heating of a 4 bedroom detached house, when it arrives is going to be horrendous. I note it is only on for 6 hours a day. Can you be certain that when it is off no electric heating is being employed because that is the sort of thing which will consume big numbers.

Sorry I forgot to answer your original question. The industry "average" for electrical consumption in a non-electrically heated house is 3,300kWhrs/year.

•  Thu, Feb 11 2010, 1:27 AM

Hi, thanks for the link to the British gas offer! I am still having issues with my electricity use, I have spoken to scottish power and they just dont seem interested. I am still unemployed and really struggling with the £120 monthly payments (part of this is to pay for the £160 outstanding balance on the account due to them seriously under charging me despite constant readings being given.) If it was not for the outstanding balance i would switch providers as i could save £400 a year on a different deal. I tryed to see if i could switch tarrifs and was told that i could not even do that.

I have been doing everything possible to reduce my power consumption and yes my house did use to resemble a light house, there was 20 bulbs in the kitchen alone and 15 in the front room! This was the reason i focused on lights first as they were always being left on. Now they are hardly on and changed to energy saver bulbs.

Im pretty certain the biggest consumer of power in my house is the tvs. The main one is on for up to 16 hours a day and it has a rating of 500w. There is also another one which is rated at 400w and that is on for upto 8 hours. But this only equates to a total of 11.2 kwh so still a long way short. Tumble dryer is obviously another big user over winter, ours is an A rated condenser dryer and is on for max 3 hours per day. The washing machine is also A rated and on max 3 hours per day. I have cut back on usage a lot, nothing is left on when it doesnt need to be. I switch everything off at the mains whether its the microwave or the laptop charger. I have an electric cooker which is used for max 1 hour per day as we dont have gas. So this leaves our oil fired boiler for heating which will use minimum power as its not contiuous, american style fridge freezer, a tall freezer and my bt home hub on constantly.

My current readings have just been submitted and i have average 45kwh per day over a 60 day period! I dont know what steps to take next without just switching everything off! From what i can work out going on the readings off the appliances i should be using no more than 20 kwh per day and even that could be considered high by some people from the research i have done on the net.

Sorry for my long ramblings,im just finding it very frustrating when im taking all the steps to reduce my consumption and its not going down.

Thanks Jason

•  Fri, Dec 04 2009, 2:22 PM

Purely out of interest - I must add that since we got an electricity monitor (free from british gas - although we take neither gas or electricity from BG) https://www.britishgas.co.uk/productoffers (code EF7) - We have kept our (3 bed semi) power costs down to less than £50 per month (dual fuel) - and are currently over £100 in credit with Scottish Power

We have full GCH and are double glazed, cavity filling with a thick layer of insulation in the loft

Plus - fridge/freezers are NOT a major power consumer - ours consumes 240 watts and the compressor is only running for about 1/6 of the time (once it is cool - as long as the doors are not left open - they stay cold) - so rate this at the same as a 40 watt light bulb on permanatly - or 1/2 p per hour (over a long period)

I agree with mynewt that you need to prioritise and not dwell on lightbulbs - unless you are running a lighthouse !!

•  Fri, Dec 04 2009, 10:57 AM

While I understand you're very keen to do everything to reduce your consumption (which is comendable) lightbulbs should be at the lower end of your list of priorities. If/when you create a list of appliances, usage rating and time used you'll be able to calculate how much each appliance costs you on an average day. (I cna help with the calculations if required). Once completed put the most expensive at the top and the least at the bottom. By tackling the most expenive and making adjustments (if possible) you'll make bigger inroads to your consumpion faster.

Please do not get me wrong chaning lightbulbs for energy efficient ones is going to benefit you, so its not a wasted excersie, I just think you'll be able to make larger reductions in other areas, that given your current financial situation may be of greater personal value to you.

(anyone know if you can post links to files here? I have a spreadsheet i've created that once tweaked will be particuarly helpful in these circumstances)

•  Fri, Dec 04 2009, 9:11 AM

Well, it depends on how you look at halogen bulbs. On the one hand, they're not terribly efficient. On the other, they're extremely long lasting.

It really depends on what type of halogen lightbulb you're talking about. If you're talking about the halogen capsule bulbs, then you wont be able to get an energy efficient equivalent.

•  Thu, Dec 03 2009, 6:25 PM

you can buy energy monitors and other energy saving stuff from scottish power

https://scottishpowershop.co.uk/

•  Thu, Dec 03 2009, 5:31 PM

Thanks for the replies. Once i have monitored usage, as they have suggested i will ask scotish power if they will provide me with a power monitor. I do also have a lot of lights in my house, just in my front room there is 15 light bulbs. I never have all these on though. What are halogen bulbs like for energy use as there are 23 of these in my kitchen, luckily though they are in groups so i only have around 5 on at a time. Can anyone recomend a cheapsource of energy saving bulbs.

Thanks Jason

• Post Points: 35
  •  Thu, Dec 03 2009, 4:17 PM

Most suppliers will actually give you a free electricity monitor these days, that will allow you to switch everything off, and discover how much each is using through a process of elimination.
  •  Thu, Dec 03 2009, 4:11 PM

Thanks for the fast reply. I only use my fan oven for a maximum of an hour and maybe one of the ceramic rings for no more than 20 minutes ( im not Gordan Ramsay lol) and my heating is oil fired so that should also not use much power other than for the controler and it is all run of a thermostat set to 20 degrees and it is on for a maximum 6 hours per day.

There has always been somebody at home during the day also, as my wife is disabled, so i dont think me being home too, will really increase it. There are various things that are on standby in the home and my concern was maybe these were the cause of the power use. Both my kids have there own tv with dvd games console etc which will more than likely be on standby and in use for maybe 1 hour per day. Kettle probably gets used 3 times per day. So the biggest user of power should be the main tv on during the day with sky box and dvd player and also the fridge freezers. Is there anyway i can calculate how much pwer each device uses when on or in standby or a guide so i can work out roughly what i am using and how i can save. I know it wont be easy but i am determined to try and at least reduse my bill to below a £100 per month.

Thanks Jason

•  Thu, Dec 03 2009, 3:51 PM

Jason,

Your consumption, though high - is, unfortunately - not excessive

Don't forget that, with you at home, now - it will be more than previously

Modern TV's on standby do still use some electricity - nothing like as much as "old" ones and will not make that much difference to your bill

a Cooker (with all rings on and oven) can use up to 10kW (ie up to £2 per hour)

And a 3kW tumble drier costs 60p per hour

light bulbs don't cost £'s to run - so you need to concentrate on heat and cooking reduction

•  Thu, Dec 03 2009, 3:49 PM

"I have rang scotish power who have basically told me to monitor my consumption over a 7 day period. "

Scottish Power have done the right thing here, and are attempting to establish your average daily consumption.

To answer your question, there is no such thing as "normal" consumption. It is all based on what appliances you have, insulation etc.

40kwh does seem a lot however. Mind you, you're using 2 large screen tvs at 12 hours a day and 2 laptops. Both of these types of appliances use a lot of electricity. Is your kettle on a lot? That's one of the biggest drains weirdly enough! Your washing machine also uses a lot of electricity.

Lastly, oil fired heating is actually quite expensive to use.

You're always better to switch your tv off at teh mains if you're not using it, and to instill in your children a rule that they never leave the room with the tv on. Changing your lightbulbs to energy saving is a good start.

What to do is:

1. Take the 7 day reads as SP asked.

2. Make a list of every appliance (including make, model, and energy rating) in your home.

3. List the times they are on for on average.

4. List the times your heating is on.

This should help SP establish whether your usage is correct, or whether your meter is running fast.

•  Thu, Dec 03 2009, 3:34 PM

Average 47 kwh per day! is this normal?

My electricty bill is getting excesive and i need to take action. I have rang scotish power who have basically told me to monitor my consumption over a 7 day period. What i would like to know is, what is a normal amount of power for a 4 bedroomed detached home? there are 3 adults and 2 young children in the home. We have an american style fridge freezer and an upright freezer on all the time but they are a rated for energy use, 2 large tvs on for around 12 hours per day and 2 laptops. Our heating is oil fired and we dont use an emersion heater. We do have a electric cooker though Only used for around 1 hour per day. We probably use the washing machine and tumble dryer once per day. I have changed some of the bulbs in the house to energy efficient ones but not all yet ( the bulbs are very exspensive so can only get a few at a time).

I have never really bothered to look at my energy consumption before, but i got made redundant a few months ago and money is tight. I was shocked at what i was paying and how much consumption had increased over time. I checked my consumption history and for a 3 month period (nov-jan 2008 87 days) i used 2487 kwh for the period, a 3 month period this year (aug-october 87 days) i used 4050 kwh. This seams to be a crazy increase in consumption,considering one was in winter! I am now religiously switching lights etc off where in the past i have left them on. Is there anything else i can do?

How much power do tvs etc use on standby? Any help or advice in gaining control over my electricity consumption is much appreciated.

Thanks Jason

• Post Points: 35