home
in

Appointee on bank accounts

Last post Tue, Feb 09 2010, 12:02 PM by Shelfside. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Tue, Feb 09 2010, 12:02 PM

Re: Appointee on bank accounts

I have recently written to my ex employees and stated that I am unable to continue signing forms or willing to be appointee any longet. Its not as if they havent had time to sort it out (14 months)
    • Post Points: 5
  •  Tue, Feb 09 2010, 10:45 AM

Hi there - I agree that this is not an ideal situation to find yourself in. Is your ex-employer looking to source an alternative appointee to transfer the five service user accounts you are managing?

Best regards

Sean

• Post Points: 20
  •  Fri, Jan 29 2010, 10:46 PM

From the banks point of view as things currently stand, they won't be too concerned as they cannot really be accused of any wrong doing providing your genuine signature is present..... as the accounts are held in your name and providing you signed, then the bank would be totally vindicated.

However, the money belongs to the organisation which could quite easily be proven and you are legally in charge as things currently stand, if you sign documents that allow other people to withdraw cash or direct funds...then you are still legally liable and accountable should things go wrong.

You need to address this situation as above, to discharge your legal responsibility for your own protection, should the money be improperly used or withdrawn for others personal use......otherwise you could become this firms fall guy.!

I hasten to add, should any discrepancy occur or come to light, you will be the prime suspect and the first door the Police will come knocking on asking for an interview.

It is a highly unusual situation for any organisation to terminate someone's position, yet still leave them in control of the finances that they used to manage as part of that same role. I don't want you to become paranoid.....but do you not smell a Rat ?

You must have misgivings otherwise you probably would not have posted your question........I certainly would, and would never in a month of Sundays have allowed myself be placed in such a compromising position.

• Post Points: 5
  •  Fri, Jan 29 2010, 9:19 PM

thankyou for your reply

the bank, Halifax, have told me as I am the sole name, they are MY accounts as far as they are concerned so dont seem concerned. I did explain I no longer worked for the Organisation

Staff do currently have some signed withdrawal forms so do access the accounts. Except 1 as I am in possession of the pass book

It was the HR Manager, Service Manager and Operations Manager who asked me to continue as appiontee (on the day they dismiised me) until they could sort it out. I "left" mid December 09 and have had the accounts since Dec 08. All involved are aware that I should not have been put in this position.

I would also like to use my current position to fight certain allegations against me with a legaslative body.

•  Fri, Jan 29 2010, 8:40 PM

Don't do it; or you would be held legally liable for any discrepancies or transactions that you cannot account for whilst the accounts were still held in your name... should you sign these withdrawal forms and passbooks that were sent, if another person were to make withdrawals from any of the accounts.

When you were dismissed from your position your responsibility should have ended there and then. Put this fact in writing sent by recorded delivery to the bank manager, informing them of your position and do not sign anything until the bank responds to you, once they have correctly arranged for the appointment of another person at the request of your ex-company to take over from you.

Once the bank have received your notice, only then are you legally discharged from any further liability. The bank after consultation with your ex-employer, should then ask the company what they wish to do and send out the appropriate transfer of authorised signatory forms.... for you and the company to complete which appoints another appropriate person to takeover.

•  Fri, Jan 29 2010, 7:36 PM

Appointee on bank accounts

This is my first post so I thought I would make it a good one. I was dissmissed from my role a Senior Support Worker, I am the appointee on 5 bank accounts for people with disabilities, it was part of my role, However my ex employer still wants me to be appointee on the accounts for the time being. None of the accounts have any name on but mine, and are all registered at my home address, so no visible reference to any one else. The bank concerned say as far as they are concerned the accounts are mine. It is a substantial amount of money, 40-50K. I have been ask to provide signed withdrawel forms a end have had 2 passbooks sent to my home to sign

Can any one help me as where I stand legally on this matter please

• Post Points: 35