home
in

Alloy Wheels

Last post Sat, Aug 22 2009, 1:22 AM by just relax. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Sat, Aug 22 2009, 1:22 AM

Re: Alloy Wheels

thanks huckster, much appreciated!

really great of you to help

• Post Points: 5
  •  Fri, Aug 21 2009, 5:48 PM

Do not worry.

Insurance companies can only decline a claim for undeclared modifications if the modifications directly affected the risk. In this circumstance,having alloy wheels made no difference to the claim event. If you had a performance enhancement added, e.g a turbocharger, then maybe the Insurers could make a case that the performance enhancement could have affected your ability to control the car.

Admiral will deal with the claim as normal and you may be asked to update the details to include the allow wheels as a mod. You will be asked for the approximate value of replacing with similar alloys. This is so that Admiral have an idea, should the car and/or wheels be subject to theft. When Admiral amend the policy, don't let them charge you an admin fee. They normally will charge a small fee if policy details are amended, but if you explain they should be willing to waive fee.

Huckster

• Post Points: 50
  •  Fri, Aug 21 2009, 5:27 PM

Coyote,

I am also concerned with this issue. My circumstances are slightly different but the principle is the same.

I am a 19-year-old boy, and bought my car second hand two years ago without realising the alloys weren’t standard. I have one year no claims. I used to be with Quinn Direct, and claimed successfully a year and a half ago (without declared alloys). I am now with Admiral, holding a Third Party, Fire and Theft policy.

I have told them that I have alloy wheels after I needed to submit a claim form. It asked whether the vehicle has “any modifications, including alloy wheels etc.”. This explicit mention made me think as to whether mine were standard. On inspection they aren’t, so I explained the situation to the Claims Department. Even though they haven’t said anything untoward (in fact the gentleman I spoke to explained the underwriters will most likely charge me a bit more to add to my premium, but nothing serious) I’m still afraid my claim is going to be rejected and I, blacklisted. The late declaration is not deliberate, and I know that insurance companies don’t like paying if they can avoid it.

My claim involves me reversing at slow speed, misjudging my distance behind me, and then bumping into a wall causing it to break and twist slightly (it was the corner pillar of a brick wall). The person who owns the wall wants it fixed, and is saying it is £4000, so I am going through insurance. I am not claiming on my wheels, and the accident still would have occurred regardless of the wheels fitted on my car. Surely my alloy wheels cannot affect this claim? I didn’t think about declaring them before, and am now concerned I am going to be hung out to dry and left with heavy debt due to a mistake I made when I set up the policy. Should I be covered? What should I do if they reject the claim? Will they blacklist me for this silly mishap? I’m worried and scared.

Thanks

• Post Points: 20
  •  Sun, Nov 23 2008, 6:58 PM

Coyote,

Thanks for the very positive reply. I feel reassured!

Lazzap

• Post Points: 5
  •  Sun, Nov 23 2008, 4:32 PM

Lazzap,

Do not fear. Let the claim process take it's course and see the end result.

The nature of the claim has nothing to do with the fact that it had alloy wheels and therefore, given all other surrounding factors, your claim will not be repudiated as it would breach an FSA rule.

If they are stupid enough to say that they are not going to deal with the claim, come back here and let me know and I'll give you some fire to throw at them.

Trust me! ;)
    • Post Points: 50
  •  Sat, Nov 22 2008, 8:54 PM

Alloy Wheels

Hello,

In Jan 2008 my son fitted custom alloy wheels (from Halfords) to his Ford car. I phoned his car insurers about the alloy wheels. They did not ask me if these were custom alloys and as a layman, it did not occur to me that maybe I should distinguish between Ford and custom alloys – I just simply told them that alloys had been fitted. They did not tell me that modifying the car by fitting alloys could pose a problem, in fact they said (verbally) that it probably would not affect the insurance.

At the time, my son’s car insurance was being paid from my bank account. At policy renewal time (July 2008), he arranged for the DD to be moved to his account but the first premium after renewal was paid a few days late and his insurers lapsed his policy. They informed my son about this and he immediately contacted them to get the policy reinstated. Unfortunately the insurers could not do this and a new policy (with a different policy number) had to be issued. It meant going through the whole quotation process again and unfortunately when it came to ‘car modifications’ my son forgot to mention the alloys.

My son has now had an accident in his car and has submitted a claim. His insurers are saying that (a) they did not know about the alloys and (b) they do not insure modified cars. They were looking at details under the new policy number, but when I rang them they could see that I had told them about the alloys in Jan 2008, under the old policy number.

All this is to be reconsidered by their underwriters next week but we have been told that there is a good chance that they will throw out the claim and cancel the insurance.

All along we have been under the impression that there was no problem with the insurance, and we feel that we have been misled by not being told in Jan 2008 that the alloys posed a problem. Also, it seems that my son will now have a black mark against his name by having a cancelled policy (e.g. your assumptions for a comparison assume that no cancelled policy).

Assuming that his insurers do cancel the policy, how can my son get his name cleared and not be penalised when purchasing further car insurance? Also, what redress do we have against his insurers for not telling him in Jan 2008 that fitting the alloys meant that he was not now insured?

Many Thanks

• Post Points: 20