home
in

Airmiles/Avios points

Last post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 10:02 AM by Spikeyv. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Mon, Sep 29 2014, 10:02 AM

Re: Airmiles/Avios points

Thank you all for taking the time to reply. I think I understand how this works now.... I can sign up for a loyalty scheme with an airline but also get a credit card to boost my airmiles. I think as I'm already booking the honeymoon its not that much more trouble to collect these points and if I happen to use them great if not I was still going to book the flights.

Thanks again

• Post Points: 5
  •  Sun, Sep 28 2014, 3:00 AM

OTR:

I rarely book economy flights with my airmiles as you usually only save a couple of £100 doing that because you still have to pay the taxes. Instead I save them up and use them for business class flights.

I suspect that you are telling a tale here OTR. People who "fly business class" tend to pay about five times the price that anyone else pays for a seat on a plane. The idea that such a person would be getting worked up about their airmiles is extremely hard to believe. As the OP sensibly "always choose cheapest option" then I can't see you managing to persuade the honeymoon couple to fly business class.

• Post Points: 20
  •  Sat, Sep 27 2014, 12:20 PM

Signing up for airmiles is really easy. If you join an airline scheme you also get preferential treatment in the case of overbooked flights, upgrades etc for being a part of their loyalty programme. If you're only going to fly once or twice a year you won;t make many miles from that and most schemes have miles that expire if you don't continue to add to them, however you can boost the number of miles you make by opening the credit card and stop your miles from expiring.

If you aren't going to do the other stuff you're not going to earn miles very quickly.

I rarely book economy flights with my airmiles as you usually only save a couple of £100 doing that because you still have to pay the taxes. Instead I save them up and use them for business class flights. These tend to work out about the same as buying economy ones would but you get a better experience, especially if you've got an overnight flight and you have a lie flat bed etc. I also make use of the companion tickets so you can get 2 for one. So there are some good offers in there if you look.

•  Sat, Sep 27 2014, 3:51 AM

Spikeyv:

someone mentioned I should sign up for airmiles.

Please do not get worked up about airmiles. If you manage to find an arrangement whereby you can save airmiles, you may well be paying slightly more than the best price for the service. Once you've collected airmiles, you then need to redeem them and, if you don't redeem them in time, you lose them.

Imho, it is a nice bonus if you get them but it's not worth going to any great trouble to get them.

•  Fri, Sep 26 2014, 8:49 PM

Spikeyv:

Hello, I'm planning on booking my honeymoon soon and someone mentioned I should sign up for airmiles. I'm hoping to go to California

So I've done some research and I understand you need a credit card that allows you to collect avios points as you spend on it Great as I can book hopefully my whole honeymoon using this card and then pay it off.

What I'm confused about is do I also get points for each mile I've travelled on the actual flight? so in theory I get points for buying a flight but also for travelling as well? If so where do I sign up for that?

I don't fly that often but I've got a few trips lined up next year and never really fly with one particular airline always choose cheapest option so thought Avios would be best as it has multiple airlines. At the moment I'm considering the BA Amex credit card as it doesn't have a annual fee

but any advice or recommendations would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Yes, if you open a credit card with airmiles rewards you can also get points on the cost of the flight aswell as the miels flown. Most cards give a bonus chunk of miles for signing up. If you have a card without an annual fee you usually get less points for your spend. You can also get additional points for things like hiring a car or stopping at a hotel. The Avios scheme can also generate miles from thinks like Tesco points and petrol purchased. You need to spend quite a lot but you probably will generate enough miles to get tickets if you put your annual spend on that card.

• Post Points: 5
  •  Fri, Sep 26 2014, 4:07 PM

Airmiles/Avios points

Hello, I'm planning on booking my honeymoon soon and someone mentioned I should sign up for airmiles. I'm hoping to go to California

So I've done some research and I understand you need a credit card that allows you to collect avios points as you spend on it Great as I can book hopefully my whole honeymoon using this card and then pay it off.

What I'm confused about is do I also get points for each mile I've travelled on the actual flight? so in theory I get points for buying a flight but also for travelling as well? If so where do I sign up for that?

I don't fly that often but I've got a few trips lined up next year and never really fly with one particular airline always choose cheapest option so thought Avios would be best as it has multiple airlines. At the moment I'm considering the BA Amex credit card as it doesn't have a annual fee

but any advice or recommendations would be much appreciated.

Thanks

• Post Points: 35