home
in

ageism or sexism at its best

Last post Mon, May 09 2011, 10:13 AM by edwards. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Mon, May 09 2011, 10:13 AM

Re: ageism or sexism at its best

Thanks for the reply, you have had the same experience as me up till now. I have reasonably assumed that I was less of a risk than my partner, she is 15 years younger than me, uses her car for work and does considerably more miles than myself. Up till now, my insurance has always been a lot less than her, till now, when the amount quoted is the other way round. Would like to see some comment from MS, how about it?
    • Post Points: 5
  •  Sat, May 07 2011, 8:48 AM

I've actually had the opposite experience - when I retired we transferred the ownership of my wife's old car into my name so that I could insure it as main driver/keeper - the premium actually went down!! I replaced it last year with a brand new car & was pleasantly surprised by the quote. The renewal quote was ~38% higher this year, but it still was better than any quote I could get on the open market from any reputable Insurer, and is still cheaper than my wife's insurance!!
    • Post Points: 20
  •  Fri, May 06 2011, 10:11 AM

The sad thing is that the insurance is only £145 for my partner so the £15 is a big difference and the two quotes were got at the same time, so I still ask the question am I being penalised for my age or sex. Ps no accidents for more than 20 years for both of us.
  •  Fri, May 06 2011, 12:57 AM

With the costs of insurance being what it is, a £15 diffeence is not significant and it could simply be because of the different time of day that the quotes were given.
  •  Thu, May 05 2011, 4:41 PM

ageism or sexism at its best

Have just searched for car insurance for my partner and was suprised to find that, even though we have exactly the same cars in all respects except the registration number I find that there is me, who is retired and does only 3000 miles social driving and my partner who does some 8000 miles and is working and most of these miles are for business use that our insurance quotes are about £15 dearer for mysel!!! is this because I am male or older or both......Would love a response