home
in

3 bedroom house - gas and electricity now £224/month!!!

Last post Tue, Nov 01 2011, 3:53 PM by ValerieB. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Tue, Nov 01 2011, 3:53 PM

Re: 3 bedroom house - gas and electricity now £224/month!!!

We are still using old bulbs in the lounge and dining room as I have not been able to find energy saving bulbs that size which can be used with a dimmer switch.... will need to search the web. The fittings are a funny size plus the covers are tricky.... in hindsight they look nice but 2 fittings with 5 x 40w bulbs very energy hungry..... Also need to maybe get our boiler serviced and get the house thermostat replaced... I'm now on a mission to get my bill down to a affordable level. We have friends in Malvern who say their combined bill is £80-90 per month for a house the same size as ours....
    • Post Points: 5
  •  Tue, Nov 01 2011, 2:34 PM

n3mo:

I would say you have a dodgy meter maybe?

That's one possibility. Other more likely possibilities include catching up on past underpayments on estimated readings or having a tank of hot water 24/7 heated by electricity. The latter could cost £100 per month.

Just out of interest, why are you both still using some old bulbs? Energy saving ones are usually cheap and good quality now, although some early ones were neither.

• Post Points: 20
  •  Tue, Nov 01 2011, 10:13 AM

My circumstances are same as yours. We are 2+2 in a 3 bed detached and we pay £65 gas £35 electric. And annually, covers our bills.

We use central heating 3-4 hours a day. Do not use the gas fire. Kids bathe every day. We shower. All on gas.

Our lighting is a little excessive as we do not use energy saver bulbs so I would say you have a dodgy meter maybe?

There are energy consumption measuring devices available to buy. Or even your energy provider may give you one or sell. Get one and see whats what

• Post Points: 20
  •  Tue, Nov 01 2011, 9:28 AM

The electricity seems high but your direct debit doesn't necessarily match your usage so it's worth looking at the meters for a while.

Energy saving bulbs "where practical" sounds a little wasteful. Good quality energy saving and LED bulbs are now available in virtually all fittings and I would be surprised if it was truly necessary to still be using old bulbs. Any electric heating of rooms, water, shower, etc is likely to be a lot more costly than gas. Modern TVs don't use a lot of power in standby mode although any saving is worthwhile, but you need to look at your meters to see where the money goes.

• Post Points: 5
  •  Tue, Nov 01 2011, 9:09 AM

3 bedroom house - gas and electricity now £224/month!!!

Please help! I have just received a letter from SE to advise that my gas direct debit will increase to £71 per month. This comes on the back of another letter which increased my electricity to £153 per month!! We have an average 3 bedroom house and there are 4 of us (2 kids under 5 years of age) so pretty much a normal household.

We live in Berkshire and I would be really grateful for feedback on whether this seems excessive. I am thinking of switching but very confused by all the tariffs out there. I don't want to switch only to find my bills go up........

We have energy saving light bulbs were practical, switch off TV's etc (don't leave them in standby mode) when not in use.... what else can we do to get the electricity & gas usuage down???

• Post Points: 35