home
in

2011 Energy price alert

Last post Mon, Sep 19 2011, 5:00 PM by Former Editor. 13 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Mon, Sep 19 2011, 5:00 PM

Re: 2011 Energy price alert

Thanks pippins. I'll certainly make sure Scott gets your feedback.

Scott's comments were correct - based on average consumption and an average energy consumer profile - which is the best overall comment we can give. Just like X current account may be the best for you, it may be entirely unsuitable for your neighbour. It's the same with the 'best' savings account, insurance policy etc.

That's why it's also vital to shop around and compare products - because they do vary depending on your personal circumstances: the amount of energy you use and the area you live in, for example.

Thanks again for the feedback. It's much appreciated.

Graeme
    Community Editor
    graeme.delap@moneysupermarket.com

• Post Points: 5
  •  Mon, Sep 19 2011, 4:05 PM

Perhaps ur colleague Scott Byron's recent advice/recommendation for EDF Energy's Fixed Saver V2 needs to be considered with caution.

My Scot Power Online Energy Reward fixed deal ended after 12 mths. So I shopped around, got another fixed deal with nPower Go Fix 7 about to start this month (transfer in progress). My annual consumption - no gas, electricity only - was not high, +/- 3000 kWh pa. I seek monthly direct debit paperless billing.

After reading Mr Byron's comment on Moneysupermarket, I went online to compare nPower Go Fix 7 and EDF Fixed Saver 2 in the hope of an even better deal, as it wasn't too late as yet to back out of my transfer to Go Fix 7. I find this Fixed Saver V2 would only be a saver to me if my annual consumption exceeds 5590 kWh pa.

• Post Points: 20
  •  Thu, Sep 15 2011, 10:29 AM

Well....EDF Energy has finally moved: a residential price increase of 4.5% for Electricity and 15.4% for Gas, effective from the 10th November 2011. EDF estimate that this will add around 33p per day to an average dual fuel bill.

So that's the last of the 'Big Six' to announce price increases. What do you think? With the long nights drawing in, will it prompt you to switch energy provider or are you happy with your current tariff? As always, it's good to hear what you think and where you see energy prices heading...

Graeme
    Community Editor

•  Fri, Aug 05 2011, 11:05 AM

E.ON has moved today - and announced an 11% increase in electricity costs and 18% increase to gas prices from September 13th. that's going to add over £130 to the average cost of a duel fuel bill for a typical customer - if you pay by quarterly by cash or cheque.

Our team have been busy and have put together this round-up of recent prices changes and what you can do to keep costs down.

That leaves NPower and EDF Energy as the last of the 'big six' to announce any price changes so far this summer.

Edit:
    Interestingly, E.ON has posted this video on youtube of MD, Graham Bartlett to explain their price increases:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Leq91aG7ad0

I would love to hear all your thoughts...

•  Wed, Jun 08 2011, 9:30 AM

Joni9:Surprise ,Surprise tried to access my online account with British gas this morning to look at cost of switching to a fixed rate tariff and this is the message above the login boxes " We're sorry but access to your online account is temporarily unavailable. We are working to resolve this as soon as possible. We will continue to update this message throughout the day." Guess they are changing all their deals as I type!!!!!!!

I think it's as likely to be teething problems with their "new online system" or possibly demand has crashed the system.

You can still find info about the British Gas fixed rate offer outside the login page. The offer seems to be fixed at a 19% premium to current standard rates. Given that there are always better tariffs than "standard rates" that doesn't seem to be a great offer.

I noticed this in the tariff Terms and Conditions. I hope "after" is a typo which should read "before". If so its perhaps typical of the lack of attention to detail which frequently gains British Gas guest mentions on Watchdog.

"...If you cancel this agreement... prior to 30th June 2012 we may apply a cancellation charge...The cancellation charges after this date are £35 for electricity and £35 for gas...."

•  Wed, Jun 08 2011, 9:07 AM

Surprise ,Surprise tried to access my online account with British gas this morning to look at cost of switching to a fixed rate tariff and this is the message above the login boxes

" We're sorry but access to your online account is temporarily unavailable.
    We are working to resolve this as soon as possible. We will continue to update this message
    throughout the day."

Guess they are changing all their deals as I type!!!!!!!
  •  Tue, Jun 07 2011, 3:50 PM

Graeme Delap:

lots of fixed deals coming to an end I see - time to fix again before the rest of the Big 6 follow suit?

That's my advice. Last time I checked there were still deals from NPower and EDF. Beware the NPower deferred discount "gotcha", though its not such a problem on a fixed deal lasting about a year.

• Post Points: 50
  •  Tue, Jun 07 2011, 2:45 PM

Just been chatting to our gas & electricity manager Scott Byrom...Scottish Power has announced that from August 1 2011, it is increasing the average price of its domestic gas bill by 19% and the average price of its domestic electricity bill by 10% - affecting 2.m household across the UK.

Ouch!

Jalexa - lots of fixed deals coming to an end I see - time to fix again before the rest of the Big 6 follow suit?

•  Thu, Feb 03 2011, 3:42 PM

On the day before E.ON's price increases come into effect (see below), iIt's just been announced that EDF Energy is to raise its standard residential tariffs for gas and electricity. It means gas bills for a typical customer will increase by an average of 6.5% with electricity bills increasing by an average of 7.5% from Wednesday March 2, 2011.

Martin Lawrence, Managing Director, Energy Sourcing and Customer Supply at EDF Energy, said: “Although we regret the need to raise prices, we held out for longer than all of the other major suppliers and we hope our Winter Price Freeze Guarantee shows that not all energy companies are the same. We have delayed this increase until the end of a particularly difficult winter, which included the coldest December in 100 years. In these difficult economic times, we have done our best to protect our customers from rising energy costs and for two winters running we have offered some of the cheapest standard dual fuel prices, when customers use the most gas to heat their homes.”

Felicity and the team here at moneysupermarket are beavering away examining what this means for our bills - as well as looking at the cheapest tariffs. I'll post a link here as soon as we've published the information on the site...

Meanwhile, what are your thoughts? Does this affect you? Will you look to switch provider now all the main players have indicated their price changes? Let us know what you think...

Graeme

•  Tue, Jan 11 2011, 6:05 PM

No problem at all Graeme and many thanks for the kind comments.

We've delayed the increase until 4 February. This will allow us to send letters to all affected customers advising about the increase and outlining their new prices. The letters also direct customers to our website for details of alternative products.

As well as the above, the letters give information about energy saving initiatives, details about changing supplier and a contact number for Consumer Direct for customers wanting impartial advice.

I do understand the frustrations caused with all the different tariffs. For online customers the latest products are always put on the website. However, for customers not online, we have advisers available between 8am and 8pm weekdays and 8am to 6pm Saturdays who are happy to advise about all the options available.

Contact details are on all the statements issued.

Hope this helps a little Graeme. As always, let me know if I can help further.

Malc

•  Tue, Jan 11 2011, 5:34 PM

malc - eon:

...Customers on fixed/protected tariffs will not see any change in their prices until the end of the product in question....

I think its worth highlighting that. While it does not necessarily make energy cheaper, if timed properly it provides price certainty over the winter heating season. As well as fixing the price it fixes the future date of any price change, so less worry about not finding out.

Always assuming any maturity offer is understood, which is another matter as maturity offers do not appear in comparison websites.

•  Tue, Jan 11 2011, 4:45 PM

Hi Malc,

Thanks for the extra details - really appreciated. It's good to get a 'inside' view on these announcements. It's also great that you've held out longer than many of the other 'Big Six' energy providers. Still not sure it'll go down very well with consumers, though!

A lot of the frustration we see on energy prices in our community forum appears to be over not being notified/made aware of tariff changes. Is there an easy way consumers can be notified of these changes with E.ON? Obviously the amount consumers can save depends on where they live in the country, but our research shows the average saving that can be made by switching from the average standard tariff to the average online/best tariff is around £200 with E.ON. It would be great to get a better understanding of how the tariffs work. I think any light you can shed on this will be a help to all of us.

I, for one, really appreciate the information you take the time to post on this forum. Thank you for all your help and assistance throughout 2010.

Thanks,
    Graeme

•  Tue, Jan 11 2011, 1:28 PM

Hi Graeme

That's correct, I'm afraid. We announced a price increase this morning for the majority of our residential customers.

I can confirm, standard prices will rise by 9 per cent for electricity and 3 per cent for gas. These will take affect from 4 February 2011; although customers on Age UK tariffs will not see the increase until 1 April 2011.

Customers on fixed/protected tariffs will not see any change in their prices until the end of the product in question. Also, customers on the Warm Assist and Go Green tariffs are unaffected.

The move comes as a result of rising industry costs and is the first increase we've made to standard prices since August 2008. Since this time, we've reduced standard prices three times.

Today's announcement will work out at around 16 pence extra per day for the average dual fuel customer; 11 pence per day for the average electricity customer and 5 pence per day for the average gas customer.

Hope these are the details you wanted Graeme. Let me know if you need any more info as will be happy to help.

Malc

• Post Points: 35
  •  Tue, Jan 11 2011, 11:05 AM

2011 Energy price alert

Hi,

I thought we could use this thread to keep everyone up to date with gas and electricity price changes in 2011. Feel free to keep it up to date yourselves with comment and opinion - and I'll add in any info as soon as I hear it.

It's just been announced that E.ON is going to raise electricity prices by 9% and gas prices by 3% from February 4th.

Malc - can you shed any light / provide more details?