home
in

£154pm Gas and Electric - 3 bed semi

Last post Wed, Nov 21 2012, 4:22 PM by n3mo. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Wed, Nov 21 2012, 4:22 PM

Re: £154pm Gas and Electric - 3 bed semi

I was with EDF before they decided to hike their prices and paid £100 PCM,

Between the most expensive and cheapest energy supply is cica £200 per annum tops. But all depends on your usage.

You have not mentioned how much lights are on in the house. DO you have a single bulb in the lounge or a fancy 6 bulb light with 60 watt bulbs in. And do you use electric heaters?

If you want to be over generous, leave your heating on all day and night. DO not turn your lights off. EVER. and you'll find 154 is relatively cheap!

• Post Points: 5
  •  Tue, Nov 20 2012, 8:40 PM

I'll ring British Gas in the morning and try and get a free energy monitor off them, if not i'll get one from somewhere.

I'll go over my statements and work out if it is the gas or electricity that i seem to be using too much of, im assuming its the electric.

What would you guys consider the costs per month total to be for a 'very high useage' 3 bed semi, i bet mine are still higher??

• Post Points: 20
  •  Tue, Nov 20 2012, 8:36 PM

cts5555:

Im looking for tips on what i can do to find out exactly whats going on, and if our costs seem extremely high?

You need to check the meters and the bills.

The meters will tell you how many units you are using for a wash, for cooking, etc.. The TV wont use much. It's heating that usually costs most. If you check the meters you will learn how many units are used by the heating in an hour. The bills will tell you how much each unit costs.

You already have everything you need to analyse your usage. There are, however, some gadgets that will help measure your usage without you needing to open the meter box several times each day.

British Gas do have a reputation for putting people on the "wrong" tariff but you should check both the bills and the usage over a period of time before making any conclusion.

•  Tue, Nov 20 2012, 8:11 PM

£154pm Gas and Electric - 3 bed semi

Hi guys

I have been trying to work our for some months now, why i seem to be paying so much for my combined gas and electric with British Gas. About 2 years ago i switched to them via comparison site, as they were the cheapest, when that deal ended i checked again and stuck with them but changed to a different tarriff... Anyway, in the 4 years i have been in this house i have always been paying what i feel to be way too much for gas and electricity.

Our house is a modern ( 1985 ) 3 bed semi, the wife is home most of the day and has the heating on quite alot, our plasma tv is on throughout the day and evening, we use the tumble dryer every other day and the dishwasher once a day for a quick cycle, the electric oven is used for average 25mins per day, and the gas hob around average 5 mins per day, besides these i cannot think of anything else that would justify our incredible usage. We are paying £154 per month, never in credit and never in debit, it all goes on usage.....

I have a friend who is a gas engineer come around and check the system for leaks, he confirmed there was no leak.

Im looking for tips on what i can do to find out exactly whats going on, and if our costs seem extremely high?

Any advice appriciated.

Craig