home
in

PPI - made a claim on my insurance but was declined

Last post Fri, Dec 13 2013, 4:44 AM by maxsteam. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Fri, Dec 13 2013, 4:44 AM

Re: PPI - made a claim on my insurance but was declined

Sadly banks and other large organisations are aware that, if they make enough hoops for people to jump through, a significant percentage of people will give up without completing the processes.

There are organisations who will handle PPI claims for you but many of these organisations are greater rogues than the banks. They will often want huge fees or a significant part of any refund just for writing a letter or two to the financial ombudsman. Organisations like Citizens Advice Bureau will help for free but it isn't always easy to speak to a suitably experienced person.

My opinion is that you should forget about the nephew/family/mortgage issue for now and pass details of the PPI claim to the financial ombudsman. The financial ombudsman prefer to receive details within 6 months of you contacting the bank and they will reject applications received more than six months after the bank's "final response".

• Post Points: 5
  •  Thu, Dec 12 2013, 11:44 PM

Thank you so much for your reply. I really appreciate it.

I need your further guidance. Unfortunately I suffer from anxiety, depression and OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Dissorder). I am unable to deal with matters relating to myself (but great at helping others).

I have spurts of tackling my problems but as soon as I come across a brick wall it takes me some time to get back to tackling the problem in hand.

• Post Points: 20
  •  Thu, Dec 12 2013, 6:05 AM

You should pass the PPI claim to the Financial Ombudsman.

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/contact/PPI.html

You may have broken the mortgage agreement but this is a separate issue. As you've already informed the lender about the situation, you should let them take the next steps on this but you should not let this issue stop you from following up the PPI claim in my opinion.

•  Tue, Dec 10 2013, 10:17 PM

PPI - made a claim on my insurance but was declined

I made a claim on my PPI mortgage insurance and was told that because my property was occupied by my nephew after I moved into my Mum's home (our family home) that he is not classed as a close member of family.

I received the response in the post and they pointed out the following:

Mortgage Agreement - your mortgage agreement with Santander or any other lender on residential property, which has priority over any other charge on the property. Residential property means a property permanently and solely occupied by YOU and YOUR IMMEDIATE FAMILY as your main home.

Immediate Family - YOUR spouse, civil partner, live in partner, children and parents.

How come a 'live in partner' is classed as a member of my immediate family and my blood relative (i.e. my sister's son) does not fit this criteria.

Also, I first took out my mortgage via a mortgage broker, the mortgage was with Abbey and the PPI insurance with another company. Santander bought out Abbey and obviously my mortgage. I have no way of finding out what the original terms of my PPI insurance were with the previous provider (nor their name). Surely Santander should abide by the previous terms and conditions.

My main concern is that a 'live in partner' is classed as 'an immediate family member' and not a blood relative i.e. my nephew!!

ANY ADVICE PLEASE????

Barbara