home
in

Do you welcome the government’s clampdown on insurance claims for whiplash?

Last post Tue, May 22 2012, 8:52 AM by the-word-is. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Tue, May 22 2012, 8:52 AM

Re: Do you welcome the government’s clampdown on insurance claims for whiplash?

owengp:I am a 37 year old male that drives a 2000 BMW 316, insurance group 23. I have been driving for 20 years with not 1 fault accident ever. I live in CH41 postcode and because of this I get quoted premiums in excess of £1000 a year. I cannot wait until referral fees are banned so that I may see my premiums decrease. Its disgusting that I get quoted this kind of premium. I was forced to take third party, fire and theft cover this year as the premium was £522 as I cant afford £1000 a year for car insurance when I average about 3000 miles a year.

I think the best advice would be to replace your BMW with a less attractive car to theives, something like a Kia, you will not only benefit from reduced premiums, but you will also benefit from cheaper motoring costs. If you see your car as a status symbol and must have a BMW, then you will for now have to accept the associated costs.

• Post Points: 5
  •  Wed, May 09 2012, 1:10 PM

owengp:I am a 37 year old male that drives a 2000 BMW 316, insurance group 23. I have been driving for 20 years with not 1 fault accident ever. I live in CH41 postcode and because of this I get quoted premiums in excess of £1000 a year. I cannot wait until referral fees are banned so that I may see my premiums decrease. Its disgusting that I get quoted this kind of premium. I was forced to take third party, fire and theft cover this year as the premium was £522 as I cant afford £1000 a year for car insurance when I average about 3000 miles a year.

If Insurance premiums reduce, then I would expect petrol prices to reduce to less than £1 per litre. In my opinion, it won't happen, because Insurance companies have shareholders to please by making profits, that generate dividends. Even if the government passed legislation to limit the personal injury claims amounts, it could take years, before it will have any impact on the amounts Insurers have to pay out. There will be many thousands of claims currently in the system.

The other big issue that is not raised much, are the silly amounts garages charge for repairs. So much so, that many cars get written off, where if the car owner had to pay themselves, they would achieve the repair for much less.

• Post Points: 5
  •  Wed, May 09 2012, 1:00 PM

I am a 37 year old male that drives a 2000 BMW 316, insurance group 23. I have been driving for 20 years with not 1 fault accident ever. I live in CH41 postcode and because of this I get quoted premiums in excess of £1000 a year. I cannot wait until referral fees are banned so that I may see my premiums decrease. Its disgusting that I get quoted this kind of premium. I was forced to take third party, fire and theft cover this year as the premium was £522 as I cant afford £1000 a year for car insurance when I average about 3000 miles a year.
    • Post Points: 35
  •  Wed, May 09 2012, 12:37 AM

It depends on the 'clampdown'! Let them present us with their proposals, then ask the question.

Trouble is, it could pave the way for a 'clampdown' on any other claims made on insurance companies. Does anyone look at the profits of these companies to see if they are 'suffering' as much as their clients. God knows, there is so much profiteering by the banks, insures, utilities etc.. Let's see the new proposals first.

Getting away from motor insurance, remember, 'No Win, No Fee' is one of the last forms of protection for your average citizen as well as the cheats. People can't afford to go to court if they are injured and this government is making big cuts into Legal Aid etc..

• Post Points: 11
  •  Wed, May 02 2012, 4:27 PM

• Yes – the compensation culture is getting out of control (65.7%)
    • Yes – it annoys me that false whiplash claims are bumping up insurance costs (26.8%)
    • No – it will put people off claiming if they’re injured (2.6%)
    • No – it will give insurers an excuse to turn a claim down (4.2%)
    • I don’t know (0.7%)
    • Total Votes: 4121
    • Voting Ended: 12/05/2012
    • Post Points: 35