home
in

Anyone been stung by Apple 'bait apps'

Last post Fri, Dec 07 2012, 3:47 PM by LesRobertsMSM. 9 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Fri, Dec 07 2012, 3:47 PM

Re: Anyone been stung by Apple 'bait apps'

Glad to hear that you got it all sorted - to be fair to Apple, they are receptive to this complaint - however, I do still think that they're avoiding the underlying issue, which is how they can justify have in-game add-ons that cost £70!

Anyway, glad to hear it's all sorted - we live and learn, eh?!
    • Post Points: 5
  •  Fri, Nov 30 2012, 11:28 AM

Well, I am relieved to say that Apple were very understanding and helpful. After some tooing and froing I have had a refund of most of disputed transactions. So if others find themselves in a similar situation and I think until these apps are regulated that others will experience these traumas, contact Apple as soon as you can and be as frank as possible. There is every chance that they will be sympathetic and helpful.
    • Post Points: 20
  •  Fri, Sep 21 2012, 11:33 AM

Hi dnelms,

That sounds like a real nightmare and I can fully sympathise with what you're going through.

I'm just trying to dig out my old letters and emails to Apple and I'll get back to you with addresses and the things you'll need to let them know in any correspondence.

If it's any consolation, they were great to deal with and dealt with my case really quickly so hopefully you'll have the same outcome.
  •  Tue, Sep 11 2012, 6:39 PM

I thought I was the only one! My 9 year old son has run up over

£1,800 in the last two weeks on add-ons for a Simpsons game and a Dragon Veil game.

Could anyone please, please point me to an-e-mail address and postal address for Apple so I can plead for a refund.

I'm at my wits end thinking about it.

•  Wed, Sep 05 2012, 3:45 PM

Have you heard anything back from Apple yet? I found them to be really helpful and they refunded me the money without any problems - though I did get a slap on the wrist, and told not to let it happen again.

This is a real problem that needs highlighting - Apple insist they have excellent security settings, which is a fair point - but I don't think security settings are the issue; the real issue is that there is an option to spend £70 on one in-app purchase, this just shouldn't be an option.
  •  Sat, Aug 25 2012, 2:47 PM

I've just discovered that my 6 year old daughter has run up a bill of £545 for in app purchases on a game called Tiny Monsters, I've emailed Apple and await their response. Didn't even realise that this kind of thing could happen. Will let everyone know how I get on, hopefully Apple will grant a refund
  •  Fri, Apr 27 2012, 4:01 PM

I've not heard of that before but it does fit the overall pattern that you have to adjust your settings to opt out of these things, which clearly isn't right and something that needs addressing.
    • Post Points: 5
  •  Fri, Apr 27 2012, 3:06 PM

No. I don't have an android phone and from what I have read, I am staying away from them if I can.

There was a recent consumer programme, that warned people about taking android phones abroad. Apparently with some of the apps, there is an automatic update setting. If you are abroad when there is an update, it will download the update using the local foreign servers and when you get back, you will get a nasty surprise. The suggestion, was to make sure that people checked all apps and turned off the automatic update setting, before they left the country. Or not to take the phone abroad.

•  Fri, Apr 27 2012, 10:19 AM

Also, has anyone has a similar experience using Android apps?
  •  Wed, Apr 25 2012, 3:55 PM

Anyone been stung by Apple 'bait apps'

My 6-year-old son recently ran up a bill of almost £200 on my iTunes account while playing Smurf's Village (you can read more here http://www.moneysupermarket.com/c/news/beware-of-apple-bait-apps/0013868/ and Apple is now facing a lawsuit in the US over how it entices children to spend huge amounts of money while playing these free apps.

Just wondering if anyone else has found themselves in this position and, if so, were you able to claim your money back?