home
in

Aviva are the insurance company with most complaints to financial omnbudsman

Last post Wed, Dec 29 2010, 11:14 PM by bernie129. 7 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Wed, Dec 29 2010, 11:14 PM

Re: Aviva are the insurance company with most complaints to financial omnbudsman

No good Steve unfortunately as they still refuse to pay out on legitimate claims when you take out insurance through a broker.Aviva has also just had one of their main adverts removed from the TV by the advertising standards authority due to them giving out misleading information in an attempt to sell there pension products.No wonder their turnover exceeds £1 billion because once they get your money if you have a claim its like getting blood out of a stone to get them to pay out.Take my advice use the NFU an honest and genuine insurance company.
    • Post Points: 5
  •  Wed, Dec 29 2010, 11:16 AM

Re: Aviva are the insurance company with most complaints to financial omnbudsman

Its not suprising that a large Insurer mis-treating customers, you are better off going through a broker. Even though the premium may be a little bit more expensive that Aviva direct it will mean that you have someone who will help and assist you through the entire claim and it will cut out from you having to deal direct with a global corporation who's turnover surpasses £1billion in the UK alone.
    • Post Points: 20
  •  Wed, Dec 22 2010, 11:56 PM

Aviva the insurance company with the most complaints to the insurance omnbudsman are once again in the daily mail under the heading 'do not fall for insurance excess scam' (22 dec 2010) .Consumer champion which magazine goes on to say 'insurers are duping motorists into paying more towards the cost of their claims while not passing on savings on the cost of cover'.Peter Vicary Smith which chief executive says 'we regularly find that some big name insurers are found wanting when it comes to offering people good customer services,but now it seems theyre also falling short on value for money'.I would advise anyone thinking of taking out insurance to read the full story as it details how Aviva charged a premium of £458.00 with a £400 excess but only £424 for a lower £250 excess this is important as most drivers dont bother claiming where they would have to pay all or most of the costs on a claim.Aviva are no strangers to complaints in the daily mail and are regularly to be found in the money mail section of this investigative newspaper and now seem to be coming under the attention of which magazine.They dont tell you that on the tv adverts do they !.

•  Sun, Dec 19 2010, 12:10 AM

Cheers exterminator,

Im at the omnbudsman stage now but have been advised by someone with a vast experience of insurance to just take it straight to county court and that is what I think i will do as in most cases the omnbudsman simply rules 50/50.As a builder i have carried out a lot of insurance work and you would be surprised by how many companies try to wriggle out of paying - it is then very difficult to move to another company as the new company always want to know if you have had a recent claim.

With regards to Aviva and a recent story in the daily mail last year.A man had been paying accident insurance with them for years I think he was sub-contracted to another company and at the end of the week his timesheet was submitted he was paid by the company and his accident premium was deducted automatically and paid to Aviva,remember every week for years this had gone on.He had a serious accident early in the week and was rushed to hospital - because his timesheet was not submitted his premium was not paid and Aviva invalidated his claim.This was taken up with Aviva obviously the only reason his premium was not paid was because he had had a serious accident which was why he had cover in the first place.Their own internal paperwork from somebody in Aviva stated that they could not avoid paying out on his claim but Aviva still refused to pay out.Thanks to the daily mail publicity they were eventually shamed into paying him out ,disgusting behaviour as you rightly say.Anybody doesnt believe me on this one go to your library and the back copies of the daily mail its there in black and white.

•  Sat, Dec 18 2010, 11:43 PM

Statistics aside, that's a truly disgusting revelation. The evidence clearly demonstrates that this so called responsible insurance company has purposely tried and is guilty of covering up what otherwise amounts to a fraudulent attempt by them, to deny paying out towards a perfectly valid claim. I have long believed that most insurance companies operate on the outer fringes of the law, but it would appear your experience serves to confirm my feelings, the bigger the firm.. the bigger the crook.!

Was the financial ombudsman involved at any stage of your case at all and if so what did they have to say, or if they haven't yet been involved, are you not supposed to refer it to them first before seeking the intervention of the court.?

Either way your case does firmly highlight the pathetic, absurd and unprofessional manner in the way this company has treat a customers claim, especially when it felt the need to resort to such underhand illicit activity. I wish you well in taking forward your claim and do hope justice finally prevails, please keep the forum updated on whatever the outcome that you manage to achieve.

•  Sat, Dec 18 2010, 11:34 PM

hi to answer your questions ifaonline.co.uk was one of my sources and you can check on this yourself but type in most complaints to omnbudsman into your search engine and you will be able to check the figures with a number of sources. Aviva with the most complaints at 1396 between 1st july and 31st december 2009 over two thirds more complaints than the second ranking axa with 847 complaints despite the size of the company as I state they have the most complaints.Also with regards to the proffessionalism of Aviva They are extremely proffessional when taking your premium but if like me you have a claim you may find that that is where the problems start.

After Aviva gave me their final response I then asked for a Subject access report on my claim as I was not happy with how they dealt with it.Its in black and white and comes directly from Aviva data protection Team that there were storm conditions but that if this was disclosed it would be difficult to repudiate the claim - Avivas words not mine.Also disclosed was a report from the insurance agents assessors that state the damage is covered under an insured peril and the agents state later that they believe i should be paid out.Aviva then told me that the agents assessor had made a mistake in the report and that the wording was incorrect and should have read not covered - still think Aviva are proffessional read on.

At the beginning of the claim I stated that I was to be present at all site meetings.They met me as required on the first meeting,then on susequent meetings failed to make appointments with me and trespassed on my property without my permission- still think Aviva are marvelous.As for non disclosure you will find that often you dont recieve your full insurance documents from them for months after you have paid your premium and it is only then you realise that often something the agent has intimated you are covered for you are not.This is not the case for me but they make you aware that the insurance agent although licensed to sell their insurance is working as your agent and not theirs ie any problem with cover from the agent is your problem.I found the best way to assess how good they are is to make a claim as everything else is irrelivent, having done that i can state the service from Aviva is abysmal.

•  Sat, Dec 18 2010, 8:25 PM

While I cannot comment too much on your claim I am curious to where you get the information that Aviva are the company with the most claims to the ombudsman?

I do not believe this is correct in any way shape or form and can provide verified statistics as proof. While I believe that they may have a good number of claims this would be largely because they are one of the largest insurance providers and therefore pro-rata it stands to reason that they will accumalate claims more than smaller companies. If fact due to the professionalism and size and experience of the company they will often receive fewer complains that some oif the smaller companies

What you will also find that is normally on over 30% of complaints that go to the ombudsman it is due to non disclosure or as you put it "false declaration" which generally comes down to the ombudsman siding with the provider.

That said, it does sound like you should take this further for resolution

My best advice I can give to you is to follow the official complaints procedure and include all communications and documents you have at your disposal in your letter of complaint to back your case. The provider will have 8 weeks to reply to either refuse your complaint (Final Response) or to resolve the issue. Once they have given a final resopnse then you can approach the ombudsman. If you do not follow this procedure then the ombudsman will most likely place the complaint for you meaning that you are just delayed in the process.

It does sounds like you have had a bad time with the provider and they must surely have given a reason why they have discounted the weather report and why the surveyors report was actually a "mistake" They must have held some further evidence that the report was mistaken that you have not seen....they should be able to provide this for you....or not.

Follow the correct procedures and worst case scenario the ombudsman will get the case look at it in detail for you

Good Luck!

•  Sat, Dec 18 2010, 7:09 PM

Aviva are the insurance company with most complaints to financial omnbudsman

I am unfortunate to have insurance through Aviva the company with the most complaints to the financial omnbudsman.These are without doubt the worst insurance company I have ever dealt with in 20 yrs and my advice would be to avoid using them at all costs.I am in the process of taking them to the count court over a claim they are refusing to pay out on.If you are experiencing problems with a claim you can ask for a Subject access report under the data protection act 1998 - send a recorded delivery letter to - The Data Protection Team,Aviva Insurance UK,Level 2,Pitheavlis,Perth,PH2 0NH - It only costs you about £10 and they have to send all the details of your claim in 40 days - Ask for everything,internal memos,copies of phone calls,surveyors reports,etc.

In my own claim these provided a fascinating insight about how Aviva treat their customers.Despite my insistance that bad weather prevailed at the time of the incident Aviva consistently denied this.On reading their internal memo i have since found that they did a weatherquest search on my postcode and found that there were storm conditions at the time but to keep this from me as they would then find it difficult to repudiate my claim.The internal reports also showed that the surveyors report concluded I was covered under an insured peril - they then said a mistake had been made and it should have read i was not insured ( funny how when they make a mistake on their forms its a mistake but if you do it on your documents its a false declaration).I also found on the internal documents that the insurance agent had told aviva that I should be paid obviously they also kept this from me.When you make a claim they keep you hanging on the phone for about 20 mins,dont return your calls as promised and generally give you the runaround hoping to wear you down - they must have forgot to include that in the aviva tv adverts !

• Post Points: 35