home
in

Debit Card Fraud..

Last post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 5:42 PM by maxsteam. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Thu, Sep 02 2010, 5:42 PM

Re: Debit Card Fraud..

Jalexa:

That would leave the cardholder in debit, eventually in default, and you must know what happens then.

The cardholder's record would show a zero balance. If the bank couldn't recover the money through the disputes or chargeback processes, they would try to bully the cardholder into paying. What would happen next is that the bank would ask for payment and the cardholder could suggest that the matter is settled in court. As long as the cardholder responded to correspondence in writing, kept copies and attended court, the court would find in the cardholder's favour.

If the amount is going to be disputed between the account holder and the bank, it would be sensible not to let the amount get mixed up with a lot of other transactions.

Hopefully the bank can be persuaded to act properly with this matter but, if they don't, all I'm saying is that there are other options to consider.

• Post Points: 5
  •  Thu, Sep 02 2010, 8:46 AM

maxsteam:

If, after a couple of months, you feel that you are getting nowhere with Think Banking, you could consider going overdrawn by £616 and then stop using the account.

Unfortunately Think Banking accounts don't provide overdraft facilities and even if it was possible to contrive one via a "guaranteed payment" mechanism, I would seriously question your suggestion. That would leave the cardholder in debit, eventually in default, and you must know what happens then.

• Post Points: 20
  •  Thu, Sep 02 2010, 1:59 AM

JazSingh:

my bank told me to ask for a refund which would be quicker.

It's also easier for the bank. There's nothing wrong with you having a go at sorting this out with Orange but this is really the bank's job. You should ask you bank to start their disputes process for an unauthorised transaction, to confirm in writing that this process has beeen started and to keep you informed. It's worth asking where the transaction was made from because, I suspect from the mention of "gbr", it may have been made from outside the UK. You can also tell them in writing (if applicable) that you have not and will not authorise any past or future payments to Orange.

If you wish to contact the police, you will get further if you contact your local police station and ask for an appointment to report the matter to someone dealing with fraud. You should not try to explain everything over the phone, in my view.

In the long term, you need to decide if the bank is offering you an adequate service and, if not, you should look to move your custom elsewhere. It is a fact of life that such problems do happen and the mark of a good bank is being able to recognise a problem and deal with it sensibly. If, after a couple of months, you feel that you are getting nowhere with Think Banking, you could consider going overdrawn by £616 and then stop using the account.

•  Wed, Sep 01 2010, 9:47 PM

Debit Card Fraud..

I am a customer of Think Banking who issued me with a mastercard debit card.

On Monday 30th August i reported my debit card as stolen with my bank.

On that same day someone made a transaction for £616.00 and the refrence was 'OPCS -PAY-MONTHLY A-TRA- darlington gbr' which i have now found out is ORANGE.

My bank tell me that this was a payment to orange and although they put a dispute on the payment Orange still took the funds due to the 'gurantee on debit cards'

My bank asked me to contact their fraud team which i did and my bank told me to ask for a refund which would be quicker. They refused to give me any details on the sale and told me to tell my bank that they need to request a 'CHARGEBACK'.

My bank have snt me to orange to ask the same question 5 times...no exageration what so ever! Each time i am told that my bank need to request a 'Chargeback'.

My bank told me this can take up to 120 days as it is a card transaction and not a direct debit.

Please can someone give me some further advice? my account was cleared and it has left me with no monay at all.

Should i go to the ploice? I just feel like no one gives a damm.

Please can someone advise?

Thanks, Jaz