home
in

E-on heatwise with economy 7 - timings and control

Last post Fri, Feb 12 2010, 2:34 PM by Jalexa. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Fri, Feb 12 2010, 2:34 PM

Re: E-on heatwise with economy 7 - timings and control

materialgirl897:

As well as the useful repy from Brian there is also an Eon reply in this thread which gives indicative unit prices...

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/community/forums/t/economy-7-with-eon-heatwise-plan-41024.aspx

This is not an argument againts Heatwise, its a "comfort" tariff but the Heatwise unit price has a premium over what you would pay using Economy 7 only. Its impossible to say what's most cost effective in every case. Storage heaters are designed for 7 (or 8) hours charge not 10 hours. If you have a very well insulated house Economy 7 without Heatwise will probably be cheaper. Heatwise will be warmer but more expensive. A difficult calculation which depends a lot on your usage and insulation standards.

You have several choices, Heatwise + Economy 7, Heatwise + single rate tariff or Economy 7 only. Unless you use a lot of appliances overnight I am not convinced Heatwise + Economy 7 is the most economic choice. Compare the indicative unit prices on the above link and also compare your annual heating and non heating usage using a comparison website. Economy 7 can be compared using a comparison website, but not Heatwise unfortunately.

• Post Points: 5
  •  Fri, Feb 12 2010, 2:25 PM

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the information I will give them a call to verify the times and check the meter goes to the right rate at those times. Unfortunately though I am not sure I can assess if the storage heating is starting up as the mains switch is on constantly (same with the water heating) and there is no indication of when it is actually charging and obviously the heat release is constant.

Thanks

Claire

• Post Points: 5
  •  Fri, Feb 12 2010, 2:07 PM

Hi,

Heatwise provides 10 hours cheap rate electricity for storage heaters and electric water heating.

The times vary from area and from each individual meter but the basic times are as follows:

Night - 5 continuous hours between 12.00 - 07.00 am

Afternoon - 3 continuous hours between 13.00 - 16.30 pm

Evening 2 continuous hours between 17.30 pm - 22.00 pm

If you contact E.ON, they will be able to obtain your exact switching times from your meter details, definitely give them a call to get this information.

Many storage heaters are wired into the metering so they automatically click on and off at the right times, this isn’t always the case however.

A little investigation will help here, obtain the times from E.ON, check the meter is switching to these times by looking at the readings, then see if these changes coincide with your storage heating starting up.

Brian

• Post Points: 20
  •  Fri, Feb 12 2010, 11:50 AM

E-on heatwise with economy 7 - timings and control

I have heatwise with economy 7 and would like to understand how to get the most cost effective and efficient use from the system. I am based in Leicester.

My questions are:

Which 10 hours do I get at the reduced rate?

Do I need to put any timers on my storage heaters and hot water system so I am not using uneccesary electricity at times when I don't need it, or are both heaters and water system programmed in some way to the heatwise system to only use electricity during the 10 hours reduced rate?

Thanks in advance for your help

• Post Points: 35