home
in

Orange Credit Referral declined my attempt to start a new contract

Last post Tue, Nov 10 2009, 1:33 PM by ex-banker. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Tue, Nov 10 2009, 1:33 PM

Re: Orange Credit Referral declined my attempt to start a new contract

Two new handsets? Nice top of the range models by any chance? Young applicant with not much of a credit record, living in a metropolitan area? You may well have been risk managed out of this cntract.

Mobile contracts have different costs and risks attached to them. The value of the handset can mean that a different risk model is applied compared to, say, a contract for a cheaper handset.

• Post Points: 5
  •  Mon, Nov 09 2009, 1:48 PM

Re: Orange Credit Referral declined my attempt to start a new contract

Guestuser:

Now I know that I have a good credit history as I have never used a credit card, always pay bills on time and I had a contract with Orange a couple of years ago which ended fine with no outstanding debt.

Stupid or not that's the way things are but there is really no need to be a victim. After all millions of people, some with dodgy credit ratings, have mobile contracts in spite of the apparent stupidity.

Some good advice already I would just add a narrower focus on what to do first. You say that you "know" you have a good credit history but the issue is not what you think but what your credit report says. Not any credit report but the report for the Credit Reference Agency which Orange searched. You need to ask Orange which one. They are obliged to tell you.

I can infer from your post that you probably do not recognise the importance of electoral registration for your current address otherwise you surely would have said. So, among other things, you should find out which CRA Orange searched and check that credit report for errors and omissions, in particular that your current address is recorded, there is an electoral roll registration for your current address and that your previous addresses are registered going back at least 3 years.

Not having a credit card by itself should not mean a poor credit history because current accounts should also be recorded. Unless you are also a current account refusenik.

•  Mon, Nov 09 2009, 1:37 PM

Re: Orange Credit Referall declined my attempt to start a new contract

I think you may have taken things slightly the wrong way.

Without a credit history they have no idea how good or bad you are with credit. This is nothing to do with you contributing to a national debt. They are simply looking at how secure their investment is going to be, the same stance you might take if you were investing a large amount of your own money into a venture. Using a credit card sensibly will show to orange and other credit providers in future, that you are a safe bet, rather than an unknown.

While you may think it's stupid, it's this level of "stupidity" that would have prevented the recent recession.

•  Mon, Nov 09 2009, 1:09 PM

Hi

Thanks for the reply so quickly.

I cannot believe that because I don't contribute to the massive debt the UK is in I cannot get a contract. I do believe that what you are saying could be correct but the fact that Orange check your history in this way is astonishing. Maybe I should get a credit card and buy lots of stuff I dont need and pay a monthly amount on the card to keep the payments up. This is the most stupid thing I have ever come across.

Do you know if there is a way to contact this department?

Thanks

Jamie

• Post Points: 20
  •  Mon, Nov 09 2009, 12:57 PM

More than likely (but no guarentee's) that you don't presently have enough of a credit profile. Many providers for the bills you pay do not refer to any credit reference agency so while there's no "bad" footprints there aren't any "good" ones either. You mention not having a credit card which when used correctly would build up your credit rating.

Credit checks for *most jobs* i've seen simply look for adverse credit markers, not lending potential. So they're only interested in defaults, insolvency etc. The property itself shouldn't cause you any problems so long as its clear that any issues with the property were not related directly to you.

I strongly suspect linking what may well be a relative clean slate with an application for two contracts may be triggering some alarm bells. Perhaps work to build up a credit profile for future lending/contracts. There are numerous suggestions throughout these forumns helping people increase their credit score - any of the suggestions would probably benefit you too.

-- in relation to your current issue you could try offering a security deposit, this amy loosen the strings if your provider is able to support such a initative.

• Post Points: 20
  •  Mon, Nov 09 2009, 12:50 PM

Orange Credit Referral declined my attempt to start a new contract

Hi

On saturday I attempted to start a new contract for 2 handsets. I rang up Orange and arranged an order but when they sent my account for referral it got declined.

Now I know that I have a good credit history as I have never used a credit card, always pay bills on time and I had a contract with Orange a couple of years ago which ended fine with no outstanding debt.

I started a new job in July 2009 and moved into a new property in that month too. I had a credit check before I started my job which showed a clean credit history.

I am therefore stumpted as to why I have been declined.

If anyone has any ideas or how I can contest or at least find out why I have been declined that would be great. Maybe an e-mail address for the department?

Could it be to do with the fact somone at the address I'm living at now had a problem with Orange or maybe because I wanted two handsets?

Thanks in advance guys!

Jamie

• Post Points: 50