home
in

Mortgage agreed in principle? What exactly does this mean?!!

Last post Thu, Jul 30 2009, 10:57 AM by josh_s_87. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Thu, Jul 30 2009, 10:57 AM

Re: Mortgage agreed in principle? What exactly does this mean?!!

Hi Claire,

to answer your qeustion they do credit score in order to provide a mortgage in principle. It will now go to an underwriter who will asses outgoings, wage slips, bank statements etc. to make sure that they are sufficient. They will also asess the property i.e floor, area to see if its a high rise as some lenders may not lend on a certain amount of floors or if there is commercial property below them, or even if they are what they called over exposed in a certain area (meaning have a lot of mortgages already).

but I am certain that your credit check would of already been done. Good luck and hopefully it comes out well today for you.

• Post Points: 5
  •  Wed, Jul 29 2009, 6:55 PM

Re: Mortgage agreed in principle? What exactly does this mean?!!

Hello Claire

A mortgage agreed in principle is a bank's/financial institution willing to lend money to you but is no guarantee that they will actually lend it.

Obviously they will have to credit score your OH first in order to assess risk. Providing he has no defaults/blemishes on his credit file, I can't see a problem

Best of luck and hope he gets the mortgage

robert7111a

• Post Points: 5
  •  Wed, Jul 29 2009, 3:32 PM

Mortgage agreed in principle? What exactly does this mean?!!

Hi all,

My fiance and I are buying a house, and are currently awaiting the final decision on the mortgage. Due to me being really crap with money in the past (many, many defaults, which are thankfully all paid off, but still on my file) the mortgage will be in his name only. A mortgage was agreed in principle a couple of weeks ago, but we are now waiting on the 'final' yes/no, which we should get tomorrow.

What is this based on? Would they have run a credit check in the early stages, when agreeing in principal? My OH has a fantastic credit score, don't think he has ever missed a payment, but I still can't help worrying that it won't all go through? Does it just mean, that as long as we, or should I say, he, be able to confirm all the info originally discussed, i.e wages, outgoings etc, then it should all be ok?

Claire

• Post Points: 35