home
in

How much should a gas bill cost for a one bedroom flat?

Last post Tue, Aug 11 2009, 1:25 PM by mrstella0. 7 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Tue, Aug 11 2009, 1:25 PM

Re: How much should a gas bill cost for a one bedroom flat?

Hi,

Is the supply in any of the tenants names? I assume as it's a shared meter that it's in at least one tenants name. I'm not sure how he'd stand legally but the power companies usually insist on having an account in the occupants name, not the owner.

find out whose name is on the account, they can then contact the supplier and obtain reads for the past year, as well as average monthly bills. This will enable you to sort out what you actually should be paying.

£32 a month for your elec sounds about right, it's what I pay per month DD for my 1 bedroom flat and i'm usually just under or just over balance.

However, your gas sounds very excessive. You should be paying on average (based on what you have said you use) no more than approx £30 - £50 a month. Even £50 a month would be having the radiators on a lot!

• Post Points: 5
  •  Tue, Aug 11 2009, 12:55 PM

I suggest about £50 monthly. Yes, he is pulling a fast one, this is obviously a thin disguise for a rent hike. A landlord can pass on utility charges and make a profit on this, but there are limits. The least you can ask him to do is show you the bills, and explain how he allocates the recharges to tenants. Is he really saying that his gas bill is £4K annually (my guesstimate on 3 flats and 2 bedsits). See your Trading Standards Officer at the Council. Citizens Advice also useful for this, but with current economic climate you may face a long wait for appointment.
    • Post Points: 20
  •  Tue, Aug 11 2009, 12:48 PM

gizmo5000:

My most recent bill came in for the Quarter and works out to be around £65 per month (Just for heating water),

That's totally excessive for the use. There is probably an explanation if you post more information.

•  Tue, Aug 11 2009, 12:33 PM

Sounds like you are in the same boat as me, I have been in my 1 bedroom maisonette for the past 2 years and ever since I have moved in Souther Electric continue to rip me off, I only use my gas to heat water and on the VERY rare occasion have the fire on (but VERY little as all the heat from downstairs is hot enough).

My most recent bill came in for the Quarter and works out to be around £65 per month (Just for heating water), at this rate I would rather boil the kettle :-)

•  Tue, May 05 2009, 11:37 PM

Hi there,

I live with my partner in an old fashioned ground floor flat with no cavity wall insulation, and only part double glazed, the only gas appliances we have are a boiler for hot water (use hot water on average an hour a day) plus 3 radiators, which in winter we do switch on a lot. My supplier just tried to increase our monthly DD again, but I have still kept it down to £26 a month, based on previous consumption. So we are on about £300 per year for a really energy inefficient flat.

Your landlord is definitely pulling a fast one. If you are living in a house where the flats and bedsits are self contained (i.e not living in a shared house with all amenities shared between occupants), then I really think you should all be on separate metered supplies! If this isn't possible due to a shared supply to the building, then try to find out who the supplier is, get a year's worth of consumption data from them, try to have a look at the meter if possible and monitor the readings, and get together with your fellow tenants to challenge what you're being charged.

I'm afraid this sounds like the modern equivalent of the old landlord scam of fiddling the meter. Back in the days of putting coins in, they would up the tariff rate on the meter to make tenants pump in more 50p's, then skim off the profit, these days, they include utilities in the rent and then scam it that way.

PS turn off the radiators in the entrance hall if not needed, and tell him you're not paying for them!

good luck :)

•  Mon, Mar 23 2009, 2:48 PM

I pay £32 for electricity this includes cooker, water, tv, broadband etc we all have our own meters for this and are billed individually, but the gas is one meter for the house and is part of the rent, the landlords by the way are a housing association which are meant to be cheaper than private landlords.
  •  Mon, Mar 23 2009, 1:59 PM

oh dear, I think your landlord is pulling a fast one, I have a one bed flat, all my hot water is heated by gas, and I cook on gas. my last quarterly bill which covered the snowy weather when I did put the heating on in the evening (3 large rads) was for £45, last summers quarter was near £25. demand to see the gas bills.

what is he charging for electricity? this is more expensive than gas. by a considerable margin.

good luck

•  Mon, Mar 23 2009, 12:34 PM

How much should a gas bill cost for a one bedroom flat?

Hi,

I live in a one bedroom flat, my landlords have just increased the rent which includes a gas bill for 1,064,57 a year, the only gas appliances in the flat are 4 radiators of which 2 are never switched on. The flat is in a house with a total of 3 flats, 2 bedsits, we are all being charged the same price, and as with mine the only gas appliances are the radiators. There are two radiators in the entrance hall which we have to pay for as well. Do you think this is a fair price?

• Post Points: 65