home
in

WHICH IS THE BEST ANTIVIRUS??

Last post Tue, Dec 04 2007, 6:10 AM by Landshark. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Tue, Dec 04 2007, 6:10 AM

Re: WHICH IS THE BEST ANTIVIRUS??

Any virus checker is only as good as the last update. This is where most people fail and then have problems.

For XP-based systems I used to recommend McAfee but it has become too 'greedy' and the company seems to think that it owns your computer. It is an OK system, but for the money it should be better than it is. Norton is just a pile and should be left in the bin. If you want free, then AVG from Grisoft is the one to go with. If you are willing to pay (which I would recommend) then you have a choice of F-Secure, Kaperski and Windows One Care - all of which do the job well.

For Vista-based systems, the only one we have not had problems with is Windows One Care - all the others have given no end of grief.

For PocketPCs (yes, the pond-life got these too) we use F-Secure.

Hope this helps

SHARK! 

• Post Points: 5
  •  Tue, Dec 04 2007, 4:40 AM

i use bitdefender total security 2008 and it has stopped alot of viruses before they got into my p.c.and also found a few on my p.c since i installewd it updates nearly every hour,and has a good firewall,i also use pc tools spyware doctor v 5.1 it really depends on your surfing habbits as to how much protection you need and if the protection on you p.c is good enough to stop them at source,i doubt it if a virus or anti spyware application exists that will stop every malious file ect out there from infecting your p.c 100%
  •  Tue, Nov 27 2007, 3:39 PM

My two cents: I use AVG my self and Spybot as the counter part, I sympathise that it didn't find the virus but that’s simply down to how up-to-date the definitions are.

Michael.
  •  Mon, Nov 26 2007, 12:11 PM

i once used AVG last time my pc had a virus and the reason i'm not too keen on AVG is because it couldn't find the virus let alone get rid of it...

• Post Points: 20
  •  Mon, Nov 26 2007, 12:04 PM

Hi Rich --- I use the free AVG antivirus from : http://free.grisoft.com/ Never had a problem at all with, it has automatic or manual daily updates. I used to run Norton and found it was the biggest pile of **** that I was happy to download to the toilet. !!!
    • Post Points: 20
  •  Mon, Nov 26 2007, 11:55 AM

WHICH IS THE BEST ANTIVIRUS??

Good morning all,

I am currently using NDO32 antivirus and i am now looking to change it. which the best most effective antivirus anyone could recommend with virus signatures that are constantly updated throughout the day.

i've used Norton, McAfee, Bitdefender, Netguard, Spysweeper, and of which i've found them to be useless!!

• Post Points: 50