home
in

what car is the cheapest to insure for a 17 year old

Last post Sat, May 05 2007, 12:52 PM by KEVIN 10. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Sat, May 05 2007, 12:52 PM

Re: what car is the cheapest to insure for a 17 year old

Hi Jimmy,

I have just rang my friend to find out exactly what he did to overcome the high premuims when he first passed his test. Intially he bought a car and his dad took out a insurance policy on it with my friend as a named driver. Apparently  my friends dad already had a car insured with someone else. He then done his Pass Plus and 2 years later took out a policy in his own name. He started off with a Corsa and has now driving a Polo albeit old!

Kevin

• Post Points: 5
  •  Sat, May 05 2007, 12:39 PM

Hi Jimmy,

To find out which car will be the cheapest to insure under your circumstances please note the following ;-

1. Whichever car you are insuring,find out what group it is in ( the lower the number the better IE a car in group 1-2 will be a lot cheaper than a car in say group 10 -11 or higher).

2. The lower the value also is a factor in insurance prices

3. The area you live in plays a part as well - as does how much excess you can afford to pay.

Sorry -Still not answering your question. The quote for 2400 for a corsa- assuming that is for fully comprehensive. Even if I suggested a particular car  there is masses of difference between what company A charges or Company B. Whichever car you go for at 17 unfortunately will be mega expensive.

When I first passed my test I went third party and built up my no claims bonus - after 3 years I changed to fully comprehensive - That was with AA car insurance.Another thing I did do was to spread the cost throughout the year by direct debit.I'm sure there are a lot of people in the same situation and like I said in the last post go through a broker to find out what other youngster's are doing.

Bottomline is whatever car you want you will find insurance premiums loaded to take into account risk factors.

Kevin

• Post Points: 5
  •  Sat, May 05 2007, 11:59 AM

thanks for the reply, but it didnt realy answer my question. for example i had a quote for a corsa small engine base model £2400, and i had a quote for a fiat brava small engined base model £4800.

so i need to know the cheapest car to insure under my circumstances.

thanks 

• Post Points: 20
  •  Sat, May 05 2007, 11:53 AM

Hi

Most male or female 17 year old's go for small engined cars of a low value IE mini 850 cc, corsa 1100 cc, fiesta 1100 cc although I'm sure there are many others. Can I suggest taking to your driving instructer about "Pass Plus". I friend of mine took extra lessons when he passed his test and managed to get 25% off his first insurance premium. Although the saving needs to set against the extra lesson expence. Some insurance companies look very favourably on young,newly passed drivers with Pass Plus. Try Norwich Union or NFU (if you have a rural postcode ) You will probably be better off using a broker and or trawling through the web

Kevin

•  Sat, May 05 2007, 11:36 AM

what car is the cheapest to insure for a 17 year old

hi, ive just passed my test and i need to know which car would be the cheapest to insure? ive had several quotes for different models but the price difference is rediculous. ime not fussy what i drive as long as the insurance is cheap as i only need a car to go to work as an aprentice engineer to save me catching 6 buses per day.

thanks.