home
in

Transfer of Woolwich accounts to Barclays

Last post Mon, Sep 24 2007, 5:11 PM by webfred. 26 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (27 items)   1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Mon, Sep 24 2007, 5:11 PM

Re: Transfer of Woolwich accounts to Barclays

Yes Norwich and Peterbrough Building society. My only reason for not moving yet is that August was a bad month for me and then with the northern rock I was unhappy about putting my money into a small B/S.

When the government  actually introduce the new law guaranting the 1st £100k of savings then I'll move banks then.

• Post Points: 5
  •  Sat, Sep 22 2007, 9:25 AM

Probably time I got on my bike, is there any bank out there that operates an Open plan account, with or without ofseting, as well a seperate loan and savings pots? Please! get me out of here!!!
    • Post Points: 20
  •  Sat, Sep 22 2007, 9:17 AM

Yahoo! I'm alsmost done with Barclays now! I've shifted the mortgage to YBS as I was planning, I paid off the last of the Barclaycard last night and shredded it. Very enjoyable.

Mind you, the card expred in August 2007, they were supposed to send me a new one as per the last card statement but it never arrived.  When it does I will be sending it back to them, one reason being that I don't want to do any more business with them but the second reason being that they reduced my credit limit on it for no good reason that I can see anywhere.  Perhaps Iit's because I wasn't blowing money on it like there was no tomorrow.  It feels like a simple case of them treating the ex-Woolwich customers with utter contempt.  Oh well, like attracts like.

Now all I need do is transfer the last DDs to my new Alliance & Leicester account and that will be the termination of my dealings with Barclays. 

Rest in peace, Woolwich, you served me well, my time with you was very satisfactory and relatively problem-free over 18 years, I'm sorry to see you go.  As for Barclays, perhaps they will be the next to get the Northern Rock treatment from their customers.  They can go rot in hell, they will get no further money from me  :--) 

•  Sat, Sep 22 2007, 7:38 AM

Transfer of Woolwich accounts to Barclays

I have just found this site, I am not alone, I hate Barclays at the moment, god knows how much time I have wasted trying to deal with the shower they dish out, prior to June my banking life was simply, how different it is now!

I took out an open plan offset Mortgage some seven years ago, making full use of the offsetting and loan pot facility, then in June my account was transferred to Barclays-loss of Data in any prior periods!, Letter recieved in July no loan pots anymore, 20 minuet calls to India speeking to complete idiots, when the answer after you have 7 options, you now have 6 options, you now have 5 options, then they hang up!

Went to see the Barclays branch manager, because I am at my witts end!

Barclays know its being a complete, and have put the computer merger and withdrawal of the loan pots on hold, apparently inundated with complaints re service, is the real problem a badly thought out computer merger, maybe the software of the two companies does not talk to each other, they obviously thought they could get cost savings and clients would fall into line, hopefully this second thought from Barclays may help us,

•  Fri, Aug 31 2007, 11:01 AM

Hi Guys,

I've just found this site and read of so many familiar problems, no point recounting them but they do include the loss of online account records, the issue of offset mortgages, and the Indian call-centre where I had to spell out much of the conversation.

I've been desperately dissatisfied since Barclays created the latest situation and am moving my account to Alliance & Leicester and the mortgage will shortly be going over to Yorkshire Building Society who are doing a fairly decent deal.  And I'm going to chase the waiver of mortgage redemtion fees as well, encouraged by what I read here.

I've found the Alliance & Leicester and YBS to be completely problem-free by comparison with my new experiences with Barclays, and with a much better customer-friendly approach.

On behalf of myself and my friends who are also caught up in the Barclays situation all I can say is "Bye Bye Barclays".

Alan :-) 

•  Mon, Aug 20 2007, 2:26 PM

Well guys I did it!!!!!!!

Barclays have agreed to waiver the mortgage redemption fee ( £195 in my case) when transferring the mortgage. They will not agree to make a contribution to the new lender setup fee,s but hey ho,  I was only going for that on the basis that shy bairns get nowt!!

Thanks to all who encouraged me to take them on by myself

Webfred

•  Wed, Aug 08 2007, 11:54 AM

Ah Bertie,

I have that one covered.  100% offset , thanks to  us both getting  golden handshakes a few of years ago, together with being dinkies (double income no kids) during the 90's and saving like mad. We like the flexibility of having the offset rather than pay the mortgage off as we get to have an instant interest free loan when we want to replace the car or go on an expensive holiday etc. The best part is Gordon Brown does not get any slice of the interest as tax.

The endowment is destined to be the  small webfreds University fees/living expenses etc in 10 years time, hence I wanted to work out the interest rate so that I could compare to investing. I avoid investment risk .... I have a very poor record with shares and funds so I prefer the money to be tucked up in property for long term saving or Banks/BS for short/medium.

We will probably put the £25K into Premium bonds. I call this the ultimate risk. Your capital is 100% safe, but the returns are unknown. On average  with the full holding you might just hit the projected annual return, with a lot of luck one of the bigger prizes 

•  Wed, Aug 08 2007, 8:31 AM

And using your £25.6k from your sluggish endowment policy to pay towards your mortgage when you remortgage, will effectively give you a return of c 6% .... better than the 1.6% the policy itself is indicating!

•  Wed, Aug 08 2007, 7:14 AM

Hi Jeff

Glad you are sorted now. My situation is that I have 22 Yrs left on the mortgage, but hoping to pay it in 12.  I have the deeds myself  so no charges there I hope. As I dont trust Barclays any further than I could throw them I'd better check it out!!! Thanks for that one.

I am a great paper filer so no problems with paper for me. Just waiting for the slug bank to get back to me.

•  Tue, Aug 07 2007, 10:10 PM

Interesting Webfred!

I enquired about our situation re redmption fees and we have run out of the redemption period, so as it happens we are almost free by default. However be aware that it costs £275 to move your deeds if you switch, so do get this cost covered too!!!. This is on top of any redemption fee.

My big issue was with the current account and the big restrictions on access history. Why should I lose 12 months on line history for current accounting?  I did not keep statement history because it was all on line. Now not. I went to Barclays to get this one resolved. Some joy. It transpires that so many have complained about wiped history that Barclays have agreed to send out paper history for the last 12 months of woolwich current account. You and I should receive this automatically. Lets see.

After research, I have switched my current acct to Alliance and Leicester - 10 months on line statements history and downloadable in a spreadsheet/database useable form, no paper statements to litter the house. Very similar to what we got with Woolwich on line banking - month by month tabs and full transaction details by transaction. Home for home. This seems a good compromise. All the big 5 banks restrict history for online banking, so you have to go for somewhere else. You can get very long history on line from banks with no direct branches eg. First Direct give you 27 months on line history. The compromise is branches availability versus goodness of online banking. The fewer the branches, the better the on line banking deal + the better interest they give on your current account. Alliance and Leicester seemed a great compromise - we have a branch very near us and the A&L were voted best for on- line banking in a number of surveys. Of course this does mean that the openplan offset of the woolwich account does not quite get replaced. However I have decided to leave open some savings pots in Barclays to offest my morgage which I will leave with Barclays, since I have a fairly short term to run on morgage and it did not seem worth the hassel of change. The % interest you get with A&L current acct nearly offsets the advantage of openplan, so no big loss here. Charges are low too and they will take care of all switch changes including a temp OD to cover the switch. OD charges are v. low provided you set the limits ahead of anything you are likely to hit AND you can have a coupled saving account with good interest rates to cover any cash flow issues you might have - to make immediate transfers if you have a high outlay to cover thereby avoiding going past the OD limit. I got a good attached no charge master credit card too - only issue is that you have to set up a direct debit to clear outstanding balance at end of each month. Seems to me this is a free 1 month continuous credit deal. Not bad.

So I am sorted but not particularly impressed that I had to go through all of this.

Jeff K

•  Mon, Aug 06 2007, 4:56 PM

Hi JeffreyK

I'm still trying for the mortgage redemption fees together with the charges to set up a new mortgage. I used the site how to complain .co .uk and seem to be getting somewhere now. I had a phone call today from  Barclays ( from some very nice informative ex woolwich call center person)  who said that she fully understood my problems and was escalating my complaint. This would be their final offer  and after this if I was not satisfied I would need to go to the financial obmudsman.

Will let you know how this goes.  Should know the outcome  from Barclays in about 2 weeks

•  Fri, Aug 03 2007, 12:08 AM

Hi webfred and others,

I am in a similar position to you all. Very upset with changes. I lost 12 months on line banking history with Woolwich around 22nd July when they closed access to my woolwich on line banking. I relied on the stable available on line banking history and did not pay much attention to filing statements in paper form - I am going to have to dig out all the statments out to retrieve history - a real bugger and a lot of work. Wish I had known all history would be lost and I would have downloaded it all before they closed access. Worse news is that you can now only see the last 60 transactions or 6 weeks on line whichever is the smaller, and with the traffic through my account this will be a pathetic 2/3 weeks availability of history on line. Does any one out there know where I can transfer to to get back 12+ months history on line? I can't do without this and so far Barclays insist that this is a service you can't have.

It's a blow about mortgage redemption fees for transfer, had not thought about this one.There's also that tiny print about shifting some payment transactions to be three days earlier, so that Barclays can run the standard artificial delay to make interest on payment traffic.. Have not go to grips on this one yet but it all seems very customer inconvenient,

•  Thu, Jul 26 2007, 8:39 PM

Thanks for this suggestion - will definitely take it up.

Sadoldmadold

•  Thu, Jul 26 2007, 6:44 PM

Re:- calls to India

I save money on 'phone calls to Barclays by dialling 0247 684 2063.

Got no from excellent web-site,  say no to 0870.com

Keenchap

•  Fri, Jul 20 2007, 7:53 PM

We have experienced virtually identical problems with Barclays and are equally ...........d about the changes.

We have normally paid our credit card bills in full each month using online banking, but Barclays payment limitation rendered this impossible, so we had to send it by cheque for the first time in years.  Despite sending the cheque 6 days before the due payment date we have been charged for delayed payment and been advised that we will have to try to reclaim this cost from Barclays!

We are now looking for the best option for changing our Woolwich offset mortgage so that we can walk away from Barclays completely. 

Strong advice to anyone contemplating banking with Barclays - DON'T.  They don't listen, and they don't respect their customers.

Page 1 of 2 (27 items)   1 2 Next >