home
in

Night units for electricity

Last post Thu, May 10 2007, 8:40 AM by antznest1. 8 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Thu, May 10 2007, 8:40 AM

Re: Night units for electricity

The electricity company will not be scamming as they are regulated. All charges will have been agreed by the regulator.

It may seem like they are scamming but they will not be!

As I have suggested in another post take back the POWER in the situation by regularly reading your meter and keeping a not of how much you have used. Watch for fluctations at Christmas and other bank holidays. If you cant read the meter yourself perhaps a friend could!

All power companies have leaflets that explain how the power is used ,calculated etc and a better understanding of that will enable you to make choices about how you use your supply. Some leaflets contain suggestions about lowering your use.

Hope this helps 

• Post Points: 5
  •  Thu, Mar 08 2007, 5:39 PM

I want to know if there is anything other than the boiler, which could be heating the water. If there isn't then they I need to find the cause of my high electricity bills or at less have something to query with Powergen. When I spoke to a few weeks ago they were adamant that I had used the amount of electricity that they were billing me for. It works out to be over a £100 a month. I have read other posts on this website and other people are experiencing the same with the bills for electricity. They are receiving high electricity bills and not knowing the cause. It seems to have coincide with the price increases, but the amount the bills are increasing by do not correspond to their usage. The electricity companies seem to have people recorded as using far electricity than they were previously using. I think the electricity companies are scamming because it is the only thing that makes sense.

Richard
    • Post Points: 20
  •  Thu, Mar 08 2007, 11:53 AM

If you have an immersion heater it would be seperate from the boiler and probably electric.

You would flick a switch to get hot water when you need it. Some people have it as a backup or in cases where their heating is off their boiler, but not their water.

Does that help?

Cat
  •  Thu, Mar 08 2007, 11:50 AM

Scott,
    A friend of mine told me that it could be water immersion heating that is responsible for the high usage of electricity at night. I have no idea of how to check if I am using this type of heating for my water. I do not have the heating on in my flat, but when the hot tap runs it does get hot warm after a few minutes. Is it possible for the water to be hot even if the heating is off. I have looked at the boiler and it has three things on it. The first is pointing to what looks like a radiator and a tap setting. The second is pointing to 8 on the setting that looks like the water. There on the thing that is turned to apply the settings on the boiler an image that looks like a tap, but the setting is not specially pointing at this. There is a light on this setting which shows it is on I pursume. The third is pointing to the 5 and on the setting that looks like the heating. The number 5 is the image of a radiator. The setting that looks like the heating has no light next to it. I just quickly turned the boiler on the keypad where you press the button onto to the on setting and some of the things on the boiler turned to an orange light. The boiler as far as I know is gas so I don't really understand how it could have an effect on the electricity used. Does this make any sense to someone?

Richard
  •  Thu, Mar 08 2007, 10:51 AM

rich28,

The best thing you can do is call Powergen and go through this with them. It certainly doesn't make sense to me that your night usage is higher than your day usage based on what you've said.

Tel: 0800 195 5556

Let us know how you get on with this.

Regards,

Scott Byrom
    moneysupermarket.com
  •  Wed, Mar 07 2007, 4:56 PM

Any storage radiators which are timed to operate during off peak? The off peak times vary I think between winter and summer months.They used to but i admit my knowledge may be a bit out of date.I think you may find it is up to 7.00 a.m from midnight in winter,but happy to stand corrected.It may simply be a misreading,have you checked it out? Alternatively,have they given you an estimated reading .If there is an E by the meter readings that would be it.

When you moved in did you record the opening reading and have they used that correctly?
    • Post Points: 5
  •  Wed, Mar 07 2007, 4:23 PM

Scott,
    You are right I am on an economy 7 tariff. In effect what you are saying in regards to the time it has to be electricity that I use between the hours of 1am till 8am. I have a fridge, mini freezer, tv, dvd, cable set box, tv, computer, microwave, radio and shower it just does not seem possible that I have used the number of units they are saying on the bill. What puzzles is as to how the units how been used because as far as I am concerned they remain unaccounted for. The fridge and mini freezer are always on. The cable set box and the tv I put on standby at night.. The shower has to have power going to it all the time, but you have to press a button on it to it show a green light. The computer is only on when I use it and remains off at the plug at all other times. The dvd is connected to the television, but I never watch dvds on television. The microwave remains on all the time, but it will only use power when in use. I rarely use the microwave. None of them do I use in the economy 7 hours. The only thing I do is a small radio, It just does not make any sense at all why the nights units should be so high. It is normal for the night units to be greater than the day units?

Richard
    • Post Points: 35
  •  Wed, Mar 07 2007, 9:41 AM

rich28,

As far as I know, day and night rates only apply to Economy 7 tariffs and therefore I assume that this is what you're on!?

If this is the case, you will be charged higher rates during the day and cheaper at night so I'm a bit lost on this one.

On an Economy 7 tariff night rates usually come into affect between 1am and 8am.

Can you give me some more information.

Regards,

Scott Byrom
    moneysupermarket.com

•  Tue, Mar 06 2007, 11:07 PM

Night units for electricity

I have received a very high bill from Powergen and the number of night units they have me using is totally ridicilous. They reckon that I have used over 7000 units in the space of 5 months and I only live in a flat on my own. The number of units for day time is considerably less, which is totally baffling because I am sure that my usage is greater in the day, rather than at night. Can anybody shed any light on this? Does anybody know what time the Powergen would start counting units used in the evening and when they stop in the morning? I need to know what are the common causes of a high usage of units at night because as I said before I am baffled.

Richard