home
in

debit card used without my permission

Last post Wed, Oct 24 2007, 11:12 AM by lost soul. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Wed, Oct 24 2007, 11:12 AM

Re: debit card used without my permission

hi, thanks for your reply, i went straight into my local branch when i found out what had happened and they said there is nothing they can do, this is why i have phoned every other department of theres that i can think of, all say the same, 'it is my problem' they say i gave my permission for the card to be used when i paid the deposit, this is why i dont know which way to turn, i realise i have made a huge mistake, but didnt expect to be slated financially for it, i have told the bank the withdrawls are un-authorised, but they say they are not, i have been in touch again with the insurance company, but they say they are acting withing their rights as it states in their terms and conditions that they can do this, the bank say they cant reverse the payments as they were made with a debit card so they have to be honoured, if it was a direct debit, they could cancel it, i have told the insurance company i will be pursing them for all costs incurred, but i need a way to stop them taking any more money out of my account, i have written and asked them to remove my details from their records, but the bank will just let them keep takaing them as it was a debit card that was used, this is why i am desperate for help, neither the bank or insurance company will help me, thanks once again for your reply
    • Post Points: 5
  •  Wed, Oct 24 2007, 10:50 AM

Re: debit card used without my permission

First thing to do is to tell your bank that these withdrawals are un-authorised and to get them to reverse the transactions. Secondly you write to the insurance company concerned and tell them that they have acted without your authorisation and that you have reported the transactions as fraudulent use of your card. You then state that you will be suing them for all the costs involved with retrieving your money as well as interest.

Their relationship is between their customer and them, not with you and you must make this clear.

This is a very salient lesson in "not lending unreliable people money"

SHARK! 

• Post Points: 44
  •  Wed, Oct 24 2007, 10:39 AM

debit card used without my permission

some months ago i used my debit card to pay the deposit for car insurance for a friend, this morning when i checked my bank balance, this insurance company have deducted 4 seperate amounts, one after the other from my account, they are for varying amounts, i have managed to get hold of the company to ask why this has happened, and they say that the person who has the insurance still owes them money, so they have used my details to obtain the payments they say are due, they say it is in their terms and conditions that they can do this, i have been into the bank  (Lloydstsb) and they say there is nothing they can do, a debit card payment requested has to be honoured, even though the amounts the insurance  company have taken has taken me over my overdraft limit, which is now incurring charges daily for me, as i dont have enough money to put in to cover it, the bank have paid this money out knowing that it has gone way over the limit of the overdraft, is this allowed? it has also resulted in my own direct debits being returned and incurring me even more charges, i have phoned every department i can think of, but all i get told is, basically it is my problem and that once a company has your details (which they say i willing gave in the first place even though it was just for the deposit) they are entitled to do this to me, please can someone help me on this, i dont know which way to turn anymore.
    • Post Points: 50