home
in

Car Insurance for Category C cars

Last post Fri, Oct 05 2007, 9:21 AM by Elouise. 9 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Fri, Oct 05 2007, 9:21 AM

Re: Car Insurance for Category C cars

Hi Darren

Swinton are very competative, I've got fully comp insurance, no claims (I've been driving on other peoples insurance for years) £240.00!!  Contact no: 0800 056 5631 

Good Luck

Elouise 

• Post Points: 5
  •  Thu, Oct 04 2007, 6:22 PM

hi elouise

have the same problem as you,could you please tell me which insurance company you found that will insure category c cars.aslo how competitive they are eg:- high premiums because of c category,many thanks darren.

• Post Points: 20
  •  Thu, Oct 04 2007, 10:21 AM

Hi Wendy

Sorry to hear that Wendy, It's a blow when it happens...I insured with Swinton Insurance who assured me that the Cat C status  would not invalidate my insurance with them, providing I had a valid MOT from the time the car was categorised Cat C....

Swinton are very competative, fully comp insurance, no claims (I've been driving on other peoples insurance for years) £240.00!!  Contact no: 0800 056 5631

Good Luck Wendy

Elouise

•  Thu, Oct 04 2007, 9:48 AM

Where did you insure in the end? I have a category D and can't find anywhere. The scary thing is, that this is the fourth category D ive had and have only just found out that the insurer doesnt know and hence my insurance has been invalid for years!
  •  Fri, Sep 28 2007, 4:57 PM

I am so pleased it has worked out for you. Well done. Kevin
  •  Fri, Sep 28 2007, 3:43 PM

Cheers - No it was a private sale, however, everything has been resolved...at last (O:

I found an insurance company who will insure a Cat C car dependant on it having a currency MOT certificate (it has 2).

In the event I make a claim, they will reimburse the current market value, and not take into account the Cat C status!! which means having a full engineers report doesn't apply. My BF is very mechanically minded and assures me, having given it a thorough check it is sound!! phew...

Many thanks

Elouise

• Post Points: 50
  •  Fri, Sep 28 2007, 2:54 PM

Elouise, Now you mention it. Did you buy it from a garage? You may well have some come back on them? Sorry,can't be any more help. Kevin
  •  Fri, Sep 28 2007, 11:00 AM

Hi Kevin

I'd never heard of a Cat C car until I bought one on Sunday!  in brief:

Cat C refers to an insurance write off. There are four levels of damage A-D. Cat D = minor and Cat A = virtually impossible to repair.

The car has been involved in an accident and deemed un-economical to repair by the insurance company. The owner then buys back the car off the insurance company and repairs it, re-registers it and sells it on.

I bought the car in good faith, and stupidly didn't do an HPI check, (checks the history of the car eg stolen, damaged etc) until I parted with my money.  Transpires that the insurance co refuse to ensure until I obtain a full engineers report, which I'm currently in the process of doing.

Hoping someone out there may be knowledgeable on insurance matters in these cases.

KR

Elouise

•  Fri, Sep 28 2007, 10:50 AM

What is a Category C car? Insurers will want to know the make model etc, not just a category. Kevin
  •  Fri, Sep 28 2007, 10:41 AM

Car Insurance for Category C cars

Hi

Does anyone know which insurers insure Category C cars?

Cheers

Elouise